Movie

Butterflies: A BangDae one shot compilation

Sitting beside Yongguk on the couch, Daehyun felt awkward, unsure of what to do with his hands, let alone the rest of him. Sure, he had been dating Yongguk for a few months, but this was their first date staying in, completely away from any witness. What was expected of him? Should he act differently? Would his usual flirtation come off as desperate or ty in the private confines of Yongguk’s apartment? So many questions swam through his mind that he merely nodded to whatever Yongguk had just asked him, not really comprehending his words.

 

This oversight of what the other man had asked proved to be a horrible move on his part as the horror movie began to play on the large TV across the room. Daehyun loved horror movies, they made him happy in the way that only laughing at your own ridiculous reactions could do, but he was a coward and wasn’t sure he needed Yongguk to know that just yet. As the first initial chords of the haunting opening melody filled the room he could feel himself inching closer to the other man on the couch, unable to tear his eyes away from the screen. A woman ran across the screen, screaming as she scrambled over city debris from a yet unseen assailant. With a groan, a creature shuffled into view, the rotting, nasty corpse of a police officer as flames crackled and grew until it consumed the screen. Fading to black, the title of the movie, some generic zombie thing, came on and Daehyun mentally cursed himself for not paying enough attention to Yongguk’s question.

 

If he had been worried about Yongguk thinking he was a chicken, this particular topic was going to be the worst one to highlight his cowardice. Why did it have to be zombies? Ever since childhood, the topic had sent terror careening through him and it had usually been enough to send him into a panic attack. That was the absolute last thing he wanted Yongguk to know before their relationship was even fully established.

 

Despite his fear, or maybe because of it, Daehyun found himself quickly immersed in the world that was playing across the screen, deeply invested in the emotional aspects of a zombie apocalypse. So wrapped up in this make-believe hell on Earth, he didn’t even realize he had scooted over far enough for his side to meet Yongguk’s. Shaking, his hand reached out for the other man’s and he held on firmly just to retain a sliver of his sanity, surprised at how stable the contact with the other man actually made him feel, well... Compared to his usual conduct in the face of zombies.

 

A particularly horrific scene took him by surprise and Daehyun found himself hiding his face against Yongguk’s chest, whimpering. Comforting fingers ran through his hair, staving off the anxiety that had been building the whole movie, even if it was only by the smallest bit. Sighing in relief, he managed to turn enough to peek at the screen while still half hidden by Yongguk, just in case his protection was needed. He really was such a coward.

 

His favorite character died, sacrificing himself for the person he loved, and Daehyun burst into tears, receiving gentle coos and shushes from the man beside him whom continued to his hair and rub his back. By the time the movie ended, Daehyun was a mess, sobbing and jittery with fear. How could Yongguk have enjoyed himself with Daehyun blubbering against him and ruining the movie? Biting his lip, blushing and ashamed of himself, Daehyun looked down, only then noticing the death grip he had on Yongguk’s hand, which was red with the force he had been holding it. Dropping it like it had burned him, Daehyun nearly fell off the couch in his attempt to scramble away.

 

“I’m so sorry. Oh god, Yongguk. I am so sorry!” Holding his hands up, he shook his head frantically. “Are you okay? Is your hand okay? Jesus. You should have said something. I’m such an . I’m sorry. I can leave.”

 

“Huh?” Yongguk looked down at his mangled hand and chuckled. “Oh, that? It might hurt when the feeling comes back to it but it’s fine. You’re fine, Daehyun. As for leaving... Well it’s already late and I can tell the movie really got to you so you might as well sleep over so I can keep you safe.”

 

“You’re not mad?” Watching him in confusion, Daehyun allowed Yongguk to pull him close again. “You don’t think I’m a weirdo little coward?”

 

“No. You’re definitely a weird little coward.” Laughing, Yongguk hugged him when Daehyun gave him a crestfallen look. “But it’s really cute and I have never enjoyed a movie more than I did with you. Your reactions were better than the film was.”

 

“I don’t know if I’m relieved or insulted...” Daehyun cocked his head to the side, studying Yongguk before he finally made his decision. It was both, but he was happy. With a small smile, he leaned in and kissed Yongguk gently. “Can I really stay the night?”

 

“I would never send you out into the dark after this.” Yongguk’s reply flooded him with relief.

 

“Thank you. Because I honestly would have just slept in a broom closet in your building.” Looking away, shy at his own confession, he blushed again when Yongguk wrapped his arms around him.

 

“You’re that scared of zombies?” Yongguk sounded amused but not without a note of sympathy. “You could have just told me that and we could have picked a different movie.” Daehyun laughed, not ready to admit he had actually been too nervous to have understood what Yongguk had asked to begin with.

 

“I’m happy we watched it anyway.” He finally said, turning to kiss Yongguk. “But you get to deal with me being jumpy all night.”

 

“Worth it.” Yongguk grinned in that way he had that showed way more gums than a normal person, that way that made Daehyun’s heart flutter and they shared another kiss. Being scared half to death really was worth the heartfelt connection the two had seemed to make that night and Daehyun had never been more sure that he wanted to see where this relationship could go.