Crossing Paths

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"For here or to go, sir?" the barista asked of Jong Kook.  
"To go, please." he answered. While waiting for his tea, for he doesn't drink coffee, he scanned the cafe.

 

Looking at the other customers and started observing each one of them. Imagining what kind of life they lead, and what's in their mind as of this moment. As he shifted his gaze to a lone woman in the corner, he suddenly heard his name being called.
 

"One black tea to go for Jong Kook!" the barista announced brightly. As he went to the counter to get his order, a small girl bumped into him and spilled some of her mango smoothie onto his pants. "Omo! I'm so sorry ahjussi! I didn't mean to... Please forgive me..." the little girl cried.
 

Ji Hyo heard a commotion near the counter and saw a little girl crying holding a half full cup of mango smoothie. She was about to go to the little girl when the man she apparently bumped into crouched and patted the little girl's head. The little girl smiled slowly, showing her pearly whites. "Wow. Who knew a man of his built could be so gentle..." she thought. Feeling her phone vibrate, she looked at it. Seeing the caller brought smile to her face...
 

Jong Kook felt relief when the little girl smiled. Suddenly, he got this feeling that someone is staring at him, he stood up and turned around to see that none of the customers are looking at him. Shrugging the feeling off, he went to the counter, took his tea and went out of the cafe.
 

Putting down her phone, Ji Hyo looked at the counter again to see the big muscular man and the child. To her surprise, the man is already gone and the little girl is sitting on her own. Packing her things, she stood up and went to the little girl.
 

"Are you here alone?" she asked the little girl. Surprised, the little girl nodded and smiled at Ji Hyo. "Can I sit here?" she smiled sweetly and asked the little girl. Again, the little girl nodded. As she sat down, she asked what the little girl's name is, "Da Hyun" she said shyly. "Where are your parents?" Ji Hyo asked. "My mom's working there" she pointed to the building opposite the cafe. "I would want to stay with you until your mom gets here but I have to go now. How about I buy you a cake? Would you like that?" Upon hearing the word cake, the little girl smiled and nodded enthusiastically. As they were about to stand up, the barista approached with a tray of mango smoothie and a chocolate cake. "From the ahjussi" the barista said. Da Hyun clapped and sat down to eat the cake.
 

"Da Hyun, how about I buy you a cake for your snack when you get home?" Ji Hyo asked. Da Hyun nodded. She then went to the counter to buy another slice of chocolate cake. Returning to Da Hyun, she put the cake on the table and said, "Share it with your mother, okay?" Da Hyun nodded, jumped off the ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter