Two Can Play This Game

Of Ghosts And Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If Yoona thought that he was actually going home, then she had another thing coming. Jungkook almost always had dinner in this house. He could help with the process of making dinner, but it was Daejung and his little elf, Yugyeom, who were the main cooks of the house.

His job - as the self designated worst chef to disgrace this town - was to set up the table and clean the dishes. So that led him to lounge comfortably on the sofa, flicking through channels as he waited for anything to catch his eye and distract him.

His finger hovered over the button as a new anchor graced the screen. The anniversary of the Missing Cheerleaders was next week and the man with the bad toupee (did he honestly think he would fool anyone with that?) urged viewers (more or less confined to the female gender) to stay safe, be on high alert, travel in groups and to be home before sundown.

Jungkook resisted the urge to scoff in disdain. None of those airheads went missing. Not in the way the town thought anyway.

The cheerleaders had gone with their noses high and stuck them where they had no business being in the first place. And where had that stellar decision landed them? Trapped in the basement of the house that had burned down near the lake with a father and daughter still inside.

A dark entity festered inside of that house and Jungkook made to stay clear of it. Souls that went through a violent death almost always turned into ghosts. Burning horrendously to ones death was a sure fire way of qualifying for that list. While ghosts generally weren't tied to a specific landmark, those two lingered here and there, which was why he stayed as far away as possible (no way in hell was he going to give them a reason to latch onto him).

Jungkook's best guess was that the cheerleaders (no doubt under a ridiculous dare constructed by one of their ranks) went exploring and the ghosts locked the door on them.

Switching the T.V off, he propped his bare feet on the coffee table and heaved a sigh as he stared up at the ceiling.

When the hell did Yoona become hot?

Jungkook supposed it did make sense somewhere deep inside his brain. Yugyeom was attractive (not that he'll ever let the man know because then he'd never be able to live it down). They were twins, and the same was bound to happen to Yoona sooner or later.

Okay fine. Maybe Yoona wasn't as ugly as he had painted her to be in their childhood days - he was just never interested in her like that. Sure he had to be about twelve the last time he saw her, but that didn't stop him from liking (and eventually kissing) Choi Eunji. What had changed about Yoona that gave her the power to grate his nerves and flip him inside out? (Apart from the obvious answer of hormones being involved). When the little minx had in her room, he would have pounced and answered very keenly to answer her challenge if Yugyeom hadn't given him such a frosty glare.

“Oh my god,” Yoona moaned from the doorway as she narrowed her eyes at the position of his feet. “Don't you have your own home to contaminate? Get your feet off the table.”

Jungkook craned his neck to flash her a brilliant smile, feet unmoving. “Hi there Yoona,” he greeted. “I don't think I said it earlier.”

Yoona rolled her eyes and combed her fingers down her hair, pausing every now and then to yank gently on the knots at the ends. Jungkook's gaze traced her nimble fingers and he ran his tongue over his left canine. God damn, she truly was a vision. How was this fair at all?

“Are you finished catching up with Yugyeom?” He asked, smiling widely as he patted the empty seat next to him. “If so, then come sit next to me so we can start braiding our hair and spill some gossip.”

She narrowed her eyes as she glared distrustfully at him. “Only if you promise not to transfer your fleas onto me.”

“I don't have fleas.”

“One can never be too sure.” She raised an eyebrow as she leaned on the doorway. “What makes you think that I want to sit with you?”

If Jungkook had been any less of a person, he would have been left gobsmacked at the exact way she seemed to mirror the pose which Yugyeom adapted when leaning against something. Arms crossed, an eyebrow raised, one leg in front of the other with the front of the shoe jammed into the carpet.

“Well, why else would you be here?”

“If you think I came looking for you then you need to get over yourself,” she rolled her eyes as she scanned the room. “I just wanted to explore the place and see if anything had changed.”

“Your dad kept your room.”

“Really?” she faked enthusiasm and clapped her hands together. “You don't say! I didn't know that, Captain Obvious!”

Jungkook tilted his head. “You were worried he didn't.”

Almost immediately, Yoona's unfriendliness vanished as her lips parted in shock. “I didn't... I never said that.”

Jungkook's mother had been a telepath. While he didn't exactly inherit her gift, he did have a knack for hunches. His intuition nudged suggestions and his brain interpreted them based on the person's metaphysical energy of the brain. The original person he considered himself to be, he decided

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter