Lesson Number One

Of Ghosts And Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kiddo, I need you to not move a muscle.” Jungkook his lips. “Don’t make any sudden movements. Ask it what it wants.”

When there came no reply, he bit back a curse and wrapped his hand around the doorknob. The brass had frozen beyond compare, the ice biting harshly into the flesh of his skin as he struggled to twist it deftly. Ghosts didn’t have solid bodies, therefore lacked any body heat. Despite this, they preferred to revel in the bitter cold.

Finally, when Jungkook was able to swing the door open, his eyes first focused on a frozen Yoona on the ground, and then finally on the ghost seated across from her.

It only had eyes for Yoona.

Crouching down, Jungkook could barely contain his own surprise. This girl looked no older than maybe fifteen or sixteen, and looked every bit alive as he and Yoona did. Judging by her ripped jeans and T-shirt with a famous artist’s slogan, he figured that the girl would have died recently.

The parasites swarming around her glowed with the beauty of fireflies, darting rapidly in circle around her figure. After a moment to study the behaviour of the parasites, combined with her appearance, Jungkook figured that she had passed peacefully with a vast amount of regret.

And that regret? Well, it seemed to be fuelling the ghost with more intensity than Jungkook had ever seen before. This young girl may as well now be branded the most powerful ghost he’d ever encountered. She looked just as alive as he and Yoona did because her parasites vibrated fast with enough velocity to make her fully corporeal, which was in itself such a rare thing to come across. But her regret was what Jungkook was worried about the most.

It filled her like a bottomless void, and under the right conditions, she could manipulate her powers to hurt (or maybe kill) a human.

“I don’t know if she did something to me,” Yoona began as she swallowed roughly, “but I can’t hear what she’s saying.”

As Yoona trembled like a leaf, Jungkook donned his game face on, stamping on the rising embers of fear before it could succumb him fully. It wasn’t like this ghost knew he was a weakling. He had bluffed his way out of several tough spots before, and this would be no different.

“Hey,” he snapped his fingers at the ghost. “Girl. Over here. What do you want?”

The ghost didn’t so much as spare him a glance as she pointed a neatly trimmed nail at Yoona.

Trying his best to overcome the strong urge to step in between the two, Jungkook shook his head. “Yoona can’t hear you, ergo she can’t help you. Why don’t you tell me and I’ll-“

“Yoona,” the girl echoed as her thin lips stretched eerily into a wide smile, one void of compassion. “Yoona.” Her voice was like nails on chalkboard, being dragged so slowly that it raised goosebumps on ones arms.

Jungkook cursed as Yoona shot him a confused look. How could he have revealed her name so carelessly? This was rookie mistake and honestly, he blamed Yoona’s nerves for making a mess of his own.

Ghosts had a weird obsession for names, to the point where the ones with enough power could abuse their abilities to torture humans. Manipulating their parasites to create sound took less energy and concentration than manipulating tangible objects (even Jungkook was able to admit that it was creepy as to have a disembodied being whisper his n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter