White Dress

Second Love Is The Real One

People said that first love never goes away. They will come back to us in any form. Any time. Anywhere. Be it in someone else or a non-living object.

Something that we keep dearly in our mind will certainly never leave us. Even if we let it go, we just never forget.

Maybe that will be the case to me about Daniel. He is the only one I have truly loved. A fragment of my fleeting youth. That is both painful and beautiful.

I was once happy because of him. Our love might have failed but it is still a wonderful journey.

For that, I am forever thankful.

For that, I am forever sorry.

I would not trade him for any other man. If I could go back in time, I would still give my heart to him the same. Even if it meant the same sad ending for us.

“Jihye.” A voice saves me from getting lost in thoughts.

“What’s wrong?”

Sitting across me, Kenta is shoving a judging look my way over his plate of pasta. Only then, the worldly noises crawl back to me. The busy restaurant is packed and I am a part of it all along.

Sighing, my gaze quickly falls back to the untouched bowl of mushroom soup that has probably grown cold. I pick up the utensil and start eating like any ordinary person that is having their brunch to stop his concern from growing bigger.

Coming to a country that is full of unfamiliarity, I have earned myself a very reliable neighbour that I can have meals together with no matter what time it is. We used to keep having food deliveries sent to our doors at the same time that we naturally thought it is better to eat together than eating alone.

Over meals, we talk about everything to the point he is currently almost at the centre of my support system.

I think I have someone I can call best friend now.

“Nothing.” I gulp a little bit fast to say, “I was just wondering what to do tomorrow.”

His innocent smile creeps out on his lips. “Join me hiking, would you?”

“Hiking on my precious Sunday? No, thank you.”

“Oh, come on!”  

“You won’t regret it, trust me.”

We spend the rest of the brunch bickering and I love how my time just passes by like that.

Less pain and lots of fun, just like what I have wanted for my new life.

 

 


 

 

It may have been impatient of me to think that way. When we head out and walk on the streets, like a magnet, I find myself stuck at a corner. It is not that I could not move but something in me just insists to stay there longer.

My heartbeats mimic the sound of the bass and my eyes are welcoming what I am seeing. All of my senses are now awaken for one reason.

A group of five are having a dance battle in the middle of the streets. The sharp moves and captivating grooves are too familiar that I clearly remember the days I used to spend watching Daniel dance.   

That my lips speak up on its own.

“He can dance better than that.”

Nothing could change the fact that Daniel dances alluringly like no other. I hate how true that is.

“Who?” Kenta suddenly leans closer to my face that I back away, startled. I almost forget I am not alone.

“Is it your ex?”

“Let’s just go.” I grab his arm and drag him away before he could dig further into it. He is fast to know to play along and as if nothing had ever happened, he gets excited at every single thing he finds intriguing on the streets.

We are about to enter the mall when his phone rings and just like that, he has to excuse himself and leave me to shop alone, promising to come back soon.

Roaming thoughtlessly for thirty minutes, I end up standing inside a shop, running my fingers over any pair of hiking shoes I could reach. I almost could not believe how easily influenced I am. Maybe that is just Kenta’s charm. 

After a serious moment of thinking, I choose a light pink-coloured pair of hiking shoes with white laces as they are the prettiest. After having them packed safely inside a bag, I walk out the shop just to bump onto someone that is walking fast.

“Oh no, I’m sorry!”

None of us falls victim to the floor but the impact is enough to leave us in a less good mood. Not in a bad way though. More to guilty trapping. No one wants to ruin someone’s day just like how we do not want our days ruined.

“I’m really sorry. Are you okay?” Both of us shriek at the same time.

“Oh my.” The other female clasps a hand over .

My eyes grow bigger as hers, acknowledging the shocking reality. I get to realize who she is at one glance.

The pretty face and a white dress.

Jisoo.

The person Kang Daniel is in love now with after me. The love of his life.

What is the probability for us to meet at a different country like this? What is God trying to say to me by doing this?

“I can’t believe I could meet you here! Do you remember me?”

Giddily, she holds out my arm with a bright grin. Is it fair that she is so happy to meet me but I am just unable to feel the same way? The fact that she looks prettier than the last time I met her is clawing my inside.

“Of course, I do. You’re Jisoo. The girl from the train.” I force a natural smile to catch up with her level of pleasantness.

“Isn’t it fate to get to meet each other like this? I’m so happy, I don’t know why!” Jisoo laughs heartedly.

How can Daniel not fall for a woman like this?

She is too perfect. Too perfect that I suddenly have a headache to the addition of my heartache for her unrealistic existence.

“I know right. What are you doing here though?” Out of manners, I decide to keep the conversation going.

“Ah….” In an instant, all light fades from her face as her lips start to flatten. All of those just to stretch her facial muscles to smile a little bit brighter. Just judging by her look, she is suppressing another batch of good news.

Her good news.

Like a child, she signals her fingers so I would come closer to hear her whisper.

“I think… I am about to be proposed to tonight! I am on a vacation with my boyfriend.” She retreats with the loveliest grin ever.

Like the final blow to knock someone out in the ring of a fighting match, my bruised heart stops beating.

Of all the saddest things that have ever happened to me, nothing wins over this one.

Nothing.

I have never pictured this coming.

Wait, maybe I did.

It is just that I am still not ready for it. 

Daniel is about to marry someone. Someone that is perfect, at that. Someone that is not me.

Here I am, pretending that I am happy to hear that.

That, those words of his marriage do not kill me.

That, in near future, I am supposed to be okay about the fact that I am not allowed to think about him anymore because he will be legally belonged to someone else.

“Wow… That’s great… Congratulations...”

“With that saying… can you help me pick a dress suitable for the occasion?”

My world falls apart like a meteor crashing onto it.

“Jihye!”

Kenta comes back to me at the right moment. Before he could spill any more words out, I seize the chance to hold him tight and squeeze any ounce of strength in me to say, “I am sorry but I think I have to go.”

Not looking back once, I charge forward like a bulldozer and pull Kenta away with me forcefully. My tears that are pouring out silences him from asking me anything.  

Daniel's future bride should have not known of my tears, at least. 

Not on her happiest day.

 

A/N : Sorry for the late update and yeah for those who already read this chapter, i hope you can reread it because i hv decided to change some parts and yeah, pls enjoy! we almost reach the closure for this story i promise :)