Until the Last Breath

Daejae Drabbles Dump

 

Until the Last Breath

Tags: Angst

 

Description

Youngjae loves to watch the sunset...

...because the sun reminds it of himself.

 

 

 

Daehyun opened the door to his house, stepping inside his home as he hollered 'Babe, I'm home' to the single occupant of the house. He removed his shoes before strutting across the living room towards the bedroom. Daehyun peeked inside; smiling when he saw his husband was sitting on the bed with a book in his hand.

 

Youngjae turned to face the older, a genuine smile etched on his pale lips once he saw the latter. Daehyun walked straight Youngjae, bending his body down to receive the usual 'Welcome home' kiss from the younger. Youngjae lifted his weak hands, cupping his husband's cheeks before gently pulling the older down to capture the full lips into his.

 

"Welcome home" Youngjae's frail voice penetrated through Daehyun's ears. Daehyun smiled when he saw how the younger's eyes crinkled into a pair of beautiful crescents, despite the pale complexion on the latter's face.

 

"Shall we go out for some fresh air?" Daehyun offered. Youngjae nodded; a happy smile painted on the pretty face. Daehyun slipped his arms under Youngjae's knees and back before hoisting the latter up, carrying the male bridal style. Youngjae s his arms around Daehyun's neck, providing more support to ease the older's job.

 

Daehyun carried his husband outside; to where a wooden swing was located, in their backyard where a huge tree was.

 

=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=

 

The both of them were sitting on the wooden swing. Daehyun gently rocking the swing back and forth, his left arm s around Youngjae's shoulder, bringing the frail body to lean on him. His hand was caressing the younger's black locks, running his fingers through the latter's soft strands. The both of them were enjoying each other's company in silence as they watched the sun beginning to set.

 

"You know..." Youngjae suddenly spoke. Daehyun turned his face towards the younger.

 

"Even the sun knows when to disappear..."

 

Daehyun could feel something lodged in his throat. It's suffocating.

 

"Like how the sun disappears to give a chance for the moon to shine during the night... I guess I might do the same..." Youngjae continued.

 

"What do you mean by that, love?" Daehyun asked the obviously painful question. He could hear the sound of his heart shattering into pieces.

 

Youngjae turned to face Daehyun. His expression was calm and the familiar gentle smile was still there on the beautiful face. Youngjae caressed Daehyun's cheek, his lips was trembling when he saw the tears pooled in the latter's dark orbs. He himself has no clue until when he would be given the chance to see those eyes again. Youngjae forced himself to smile for the older, his dainty fingers gently caressing the tanned skin.

 

"When I'm gone, promise me you'll find someone else to take my place..." Youngjae couldn't hold his tears, the dam has broken and tears generously streamed down his pale cheeks. Despite all that, the same smile was still etched on his lips.

 

Daehyun's rough hand found Youngjae's dainty ones. He brought the younger's hand to his lips, kissing the soft skin as if he poured out all of his love towards his husband with that one simple gesture. He too, couldn't hold his tears as the salty liquid dropped onto Youngjae's hand, wetting the soft skin.

 

"How could you say that..." Daehyun croaked. Youngjae brought his other hand to caress Daehyun's face.

 

"We both know that I don't have much time, Daehyun." Youngjae lifted Daehyun's chin, their sad eyes met each other.

 

"It's my last wish..."

 

Daehyun pulled the younger into his embrace. He held Youngjae dearly, as if the latter would disappear if he ever let go.

 

Daehyun knew. He knew that the day would come though nobody knows when. Ever since Youngjae was diagnosed with a brain tumor, hecan already see the bleak future. He knew he could do nothing about it.

 

But that doesn't mean he was ready for it...

 

"Promise me, love...?" Youngjae's frail voice penetrated through Daehyun's ears. Daehyun tightened his hug on the younger, crying his sorrow on the younger's shoulder as an answer.

 

Fate is cruel on them...

 

Daehyun put a single white rose on the ground under the same tree in his backyard. It has been a year since Youngjae passed away. The younger died in his arms on that rainy night, but a small smile was etched on the beautiful face. The younger had wish for his ashes to be buried under the tree, where their initials were carved on the bark.

 

And Daehyun granted that wish.

 

"I love you...

...and I'll always will..."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Daehyun was sitting on the same wooden swing, gently rocking it back and forth as his soft eyes trained on the two letters carved on the same tree. A smile etched on his wrinkled lips. It has been a routine for him ever since decades ago, sitting here as he waited for the sun to set. Daehyun admired the picture on the tombstone.

 

"It must've felt good being forever young, doesn't it love?" Daehyun chuckled.

 

"But I'm sure you'll still stay beautiful even when you've gotten older..." He whispered; sad smile carved on his lips.

 

Daehyun was no longer the handsome young man that Youngjae once knew. It has been 30 years ever since and he's no longer as strong as before. It's funny how his body grew old, but his feeling for his dead husband has never deteriorates. In fact, it grew bigger as years goes by.

 

"Dad, it's late. Let's come inside."

 

Daehyun turned to face his son; the fully-grown young man was leaning against the door frame. Daehyun offered his son a reassuring smile.

 

"I'll go inside in a bit."

 

The young man nodded before he reluctantly went inside. Daehyun's eyes once again trained on the tombstone.

 

"Jongup has grown into a fine young man, love." Daehyun softly uttered. A proud smile etched on his face. He remembered how Youngjae once wished to adopt a child. His only regret was he couldn't grant that wish soon enough. A few years after Youngjae's passing, Daehyun spent a lot of his spare time volunteering in an orphanage in his town. There, he met with a cheeky boy named Moon Jongup and instantly fell in love with the boy, this adopting him as his child. Daehyun never failed to tell stories about Youngjae to the boy. Jongup even called Youngjae 'daddy' despite the fact that he never met the latter.

 

Daehyun glanced towards the sky. Orange and red hues painted the darkened sky and the sun has begun to set down.

 

"Do you remember? You've once said that even the sun knows when to disappear..." Daehyun smiled as he closed his eyes.

 

"I guess my time has finally come..."

 

That day, after long years, Daehyun finally had his goodnight sleep. An eternal sleep where he finally reunited with the person he loves the most.

 

 

= The End =