First month

Through the Years

Mark was working hard.

 

Though he still couldn't understand Korean -no more than the basics- he still tried to do his best.

 

He would go to his Korean classes at seven in the morning every day and then he would go to his rap classes till lunch time (which he would pay a lot of attention to because he could be "rapping" something and he still didn't know was he was saying), he would have a quick lunch -just a sandwich - and finally go to dance practice till late at night.

Dance practice was the hardest, because he couldn't understand their teacher, he just understands him when the man was keeping an english count, so that left him with nothing, that's why he tried to keep the pair with the other trainees imitating their movements, but when he couldn't he felt lost.

 

That's why when he had even just a five minute break he tried to repeat and do better all the things he learned.

 

In simple words.

 

Mark Tuan was trying his best.

 

But it was hard to keep himself together without breaking.

 

[ And it has only been a month... ] he thought and a sigh scape past his lips.

 

The watch on his wrist marked 09:43 and all of their practices have already ended.

 

Mark was sitting on a bench a couple of steps away from the JYP building. He didn't want to go back to the dorm yet. He wanted to think. So he thought of his family and a sad little smile formed on his face.

 

[ Mom... Dad... My brothers... I hope you're okay guys. I miss you ] he said to no one and tried to suppress a sob. Barely having success.

 

Moving his cold hands away from their place on his thighs, he placed them in his hoodie's pocket, feeling a plastic packet. He took it and looked at it. A triangle kimbap.

 

He couldn't help the tear that escaped and to hold tight the packet before open it and eating, closing his eyes briefly at the memory.

 

* * *

 

Mark was sitting on the floor of the dance studio, sweating buckets and trying to calm his breath. He felt tired and about to faint any second. [ God, help me ]

 

He looked around and saw some of the other trainees talking or still practicing the dance before looking at the ground and closing his eyes still trying to calm his breath.

 

A couple of seconds passed and -

 

"Hey"

 

Mark heard and opened his eyes. His vision was greeted with the sight of old and dirty white vans. He knew them. Looking up from his spot he found Jinyoung sweaty face looking at him with a side smile. He then extended his arm and opened his palm in front of Mark face showing something.

 

A triangle kimbap.

 

[ This. For you ]

 

[ For me? ] Mark widened his eyes and asked.

 

Jinyoung nodded and urged Mark to take it. He did. Then he looked troubled before speaking again.

 

[ You... Not eat. Hmm today? ]

 

Mark felt a form in his stomach at the guy's words. He noticed it. Jinyoung noticed it. With difficulty he answered.

 

[ I- Thank you ]

 

Jinyoung didn't respond, he just looked at him for a while and then left.

 

* * *

 

He finished the kimbap and cleaned his hands with his jeans, putting the plastic on his backpack.

 

He was so grateful to Jinyoung.

 

"Woah I really gave this to you a while ago and you're just eating now? Tsk. I can't believe it"

 

Mark turned around to find Jinyoung looking at him from his standing position a couple of steps away. He narrowed his eyes.

 

[ What did he just say? ] he thought.

 

Then the younger started walking and stopped in front of him. That's when Mark noticed that he was just going out the company since he still was in damp clothes and with his bag.

 

"Hyung, do you like chocolate? Because I really want some now. Let's have ice cream"

 

He looked at Jinyoung with panic [ what I'm supposed to say? I don't understand. Did he forget that I can't understand him? ]. Then the younger must have noticed his panic because he started laughing.

 

"Come on, Hyung [ Let's go ]"

 

He didn't let Mark respond, taking his arm, he made him stand up and follow him through the quiet streets till they ended up at a convenience store.

 

He then let go of his arm and entered the store, going straight to where the ice creams were, gesturing Mark to come closer.

 

"Look, these are the best" he took two packages and showed them to Mark [This. Really good].

 

He looked at them and couldn't help but laugh, chocolate ice cream with frog shape. Jinyoung notice what he was laughing at and joined him.

 

 

After they finished laughing, Jinyoung went and paid for the ice creams, handing one to Mark and opening his. Both guys walking silently to the park in front of them.

 

"I- Thank you" Mark said in small Korean. But Jinyoung looked impressed and looked at him with big eyes.

 

"Ohhh. You said something in Korean! And you said right, that's good" he nodded in approval and then he concentrated in his ice cream again.

 

Mark was really grateful to the Jinyoung.

 

He wanted to thank him for all the things the younger did.

 

He wanted to thank him because he had noticed how the other would dance slowly every time he noticed how Mark was having a hard time catching up with the dance.

 

He wanted to thank him because the first days he would leave at the same time Mark did, so in that way the older wouldn't get lost on his way to the dorm.

 

He wanted to thank him because after a month of being a trainee, he was the only one who had put a lot of effort into talking to him.

 

He wanted to thank him, because thanks to him, he didn't feel too alone.

 

Mark made a sound with his throat at looked at the younger.

 

"Ji-nyeong " the younger chuckled when he heard how wrong the other had said his name, but still made a sound indicating that he was listening.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Thank you. Really"

 

And Mark hoped that Jinyoung understood what he was trying to say. He hoped Jinyoung felt how grateful he was towards him. He really hoped.

 

Then Jinyoung looked at him too, and gave him a nod and a sincere smile.

 

Jinyoung understood.