7. TOP

Of Fables and Tales
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In which lies a tale of forgiveness and second chances. The sequel to Chapter 5.

Starring: A recovering Choi Seunghyun, Im Yoona and whoever else relevant.

 

Disclaimer: Not exactly a fluff piece but it'll be worth it towards the end, promise! Not advocating or romanticizing the use of any illicit drug. Viewer discretion is advised.

 

 

NINE.

 

It was cold, freezing cold in this barren cell and Seunghyun wondered how it was possible to feel this cold in the middle of one of Korea’s hottest heat wave. He was shaking violently from head to toes, his teeth chattering against his own will, caught in the storm of yet another withdrawal symptom. He sniffled hard, snot free flowing down his nose despite the numerous time he tried to wipe it away with his shaking hands. It hurts, it burns, and Seunghyun wondered when would it all end, if this -this agony- would ever end.

 

 

Seunghyun scratched himself harshly, leaving red streak mark down his arms as he fought the urge to beg for one more fix of the white powder, just one more whiff to ease his pain. He was growing increasingly restless as the minutes ticked by, even as exhaustion had started to kick in his system, his eyelids heavy. He hadn’t dare to sleep though, afraid of the nightmares sleep would bring.

 

 

The nightmares began three nights ago. The tremors he had, the chills and muscle ache that ran bone deep, the incessant vomiting as his body purged the toxins from his system; all that had been a walk in the park as compared to what awaits him whenever he has a shut eye. The nightmares so alive in its intensity and vividity, it never fails to leave him shaking in distress. All that awaits him in sleep was blood and tears; a bleeding weeping wife and his crying son, them questioning the love he has for them, asking how could he have done this to them, to her, to him.

 

 

Does he not love them anymore, they had always asked, were they no longer enough for him. And each time he would beg on his knees, crying and pleading for them to stop blaming themselves, that it was all him, him who was weak-willed, him who was responsible for every piece of destruction he had inflicted onto them, onto their memory. And sometimes, when the gods were merciful enough, the dreams would be of Yoona condemning him for his wrongs, for regretting her choice in having him for a husband. Useless, she would say, he was a disappointment, her rage a welcome sight against her tears.

 

 

Seunghyun’s eyes rimmed red from his unshed tears, bloodshot from his exhaustion. He really doesn’t want to sleep, he really doesn’t, dreading the moment that he eventually would, dreading for the moment his nightmares become his reality.

 

The door beeped open amidst the chattering crowd as the heavy metal door slid open, the glaring red light above signalling the entrance of an inmate into the visitors area.

 

 

Yoona sat anxiously on the white flimsy plastic chair, restless in her wait to see her husband. It had been ten days since Seunghyun had been sent into a holding cell as he await his trial, ten days since he had landed her in the hospital, a day since she had finally gotten a (rather reluctant) approval from her doctors to be discharged.

 

 

Shuffling slowly, his head downcast, came a familiar sight and Yoona fought a sob at the sight of her husband in an orange jumpsuit. Greedily, she racked her eyes over him, cataloging his hunched back, the tremor of his hands, his dark circles, the evident weight loss and the shadow that was growing at the bottom of his face, and her heart broke.

 

 

Seunghyun dragged his chair noisily, sitting down gingerly as though it was costing him all his strength to do so. Silence enveloped the two after he sat, and he could feel Yoona’s eyes on him, even as he rigidly kept his eyes downcast, unable to meet her, to see her just yet no matter how much he wants to. The shame, the guilt… all that was all too much.

 

 

Yoona cleared , knowing that she had to be one to start the conversation. “I got the police to officially drop charges for the assault and domestic charges. The lawyers are hopeful that you’ll get a more lenient sentence since it would be your first offense.”

 

 

Seunghyun shook his head sadly, his eyes misty all over again, unable to speak.

 

 

“Father tells me that you’re still refusing bail.”

 

 

Seunghyun sniffled as he cleared his throat, his voice raspy from the lack of use, “I don’t deserve it.”

 

 

Yoona frowned, “Seunghyun…”

 

 

“I don’t.” he stated resolutely before finally bringing up his eyes to meet Yoona. Seunghyun hitched his breath at the sight of her, the wounds on her face, the white bandages that littered all over here. “You shouldn’t have invoked the charges, I did assault you and it can be considered as domestic violence.”

 

 

Yoona huffed, annoyed at how obtuse with the man is being, “Well it is my legal right to deem whatever I deem fit.”

 

 

Seunghyun shook his head sadly, “I don’t deserve you. I deserve to be punished.”

 

 

Smiling sadly, Yoona reached forward, cradling the side of Seunghyun’s face with her left hand, knowing that she was breaking regulations, “Why don’t you let me be the judge of that. And you’re being punished, this is punishment enough.”

 

 

Seunghyun hiccupped a sob, involuntarily nuzzling his cheek against her open palm, “Not enough,” he whispered brokenly.

 

 

Sniffling, Yoona held back her own tears, she had to be strong, she needed to be strong for the both of them, “Then you’ll continue your penance when you get out of here. You can spend the rest of our lives making up to me, how does that sound?”

 

 

Seunghyun let out a small watery chuckle, how was it that she’s the one making him feel better instead the other way around. “You should be kicking my and dumping me instead of making me feel better.”

 

 

Yoona gave a small chuckle, “Oh don’t worry, I plan to do plenty of -kicking of my own when you get out. As for the dumping,” she her thumb gently across his cheekbone, feeling the man’s weight loss, “for the better or the worse remember. You aren’t getting rid of me that easy.” she said softly, a small smile on her lips.

 

 

“2 minutes!” the guard shouted.

 

 

Sniffling, she cradled Seunghyun’s face, memorizing the feel of him, so many things to say, so little time, “We’ll get through this together Seunghyun.”

 

 

“You hear me?” she asked when the latter didn’t respond, “You hear me?” she reiterated once more, not giving the man a chance to ignore her words, only to let out a quiet sigh of relief when she felt him nod a little, he hadn’t given up on him, on them just yet.

 

 

“You’ll be okay, we’ll be okay, I promise.” her voice cracking at the sight of the guard coming towards them as Seunghyun sniffled hard, fighting his tears.

 

 

“Time to go.” stated the guard impassively as he lay his hand onto Seunghyun’s shoulder.

 

 

Seunghyun nodded, lingering a little to have one last look at Yoona.

 

 

“I love you Choi Seunghyun.” she said, her smile wavering as she fought to stay strong.

 

 

Seunghyun smiled sadly, his voice a broken whisper, “Love you too Im Yoona.”

 

 

Never tearing her gaze off him, she watched as he shuffled out of the visitors area, out of her sight. It was only when he was gone, away from her line of vision did she allow herself the tears that she held in.

 

Yoona sat with Sooyoung, along with her parents-in-law, their tension evident as they waited with a bated breath for Seunghyun’s verdict.

 

 

“I hereby sentence Choi Seunghyun to nine months of imprisonment for the consumption of an illicit drug and for causing another individual involuntarily harm while under influence. Court dismissed.”

 

 

Yoona fell back to her seat in shock as Sooyoung and her mother in-law broke into tears at the verdict. Nine months, she was to survive nine months without her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter