Times

Eye Eye Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Right after an epoch, the week finally ends. I’m giddy and trying not to be so excited. This is more difficult than you can imagine. Trying not to smile will only makes you smile more.

Sana is watching me struggling to choose what to wear. It’s not something I’ve ever given much thought to before though. Seriously, I’ve never given any thought for it. My closet only consists entirely of white T-shirts and blue jeans. That's my national uniform everyday.

The jeans are arranged by the type—straight, skinny, boot cut, wide leg, the ridiculously named “boyfriend.” My shoes—all Keds, all white—are piled in a heap in the back corner. I almost never wear shoes around the house and now I’m not sure if I can find a pair that will fit. There's no purpose of wearing shoes if I can't even go out.  Funny isn't it?

Rummaging through the pile, I find a left and right one of the same size. They're just barely fit. I stand in front of the mirror. Does your shirt supposed to match your shoes or is that your purse? Does white is the best color for my white skin? I'm taking a mental note to do some online shopping later. I’ll buy a T-shirt in every color until I find the one that suits me best.  

Well, sometimes we need a changes in life.

For the fifth time I asked Sana if my mom has already left.

“You know your mother Mina-ya,” Sana says. “Did she ever been late a day in her life?”

My mother is a dedicated woman ever, she believes in punctuality just the way other people believe in God. Time is precious, she said, and it’s rude to waste someone else’s. I didn't even allowed to be late for Friday Night Dinners.

I look at myself in the mirror, changing to the V-neck white T-shirt for a scoop-neck, white T-shirt for no reason at all. Or not for no reason. But it have something to do while waiting for Chaeyoung. I don't know why, but I really wanna impress her by the way I'm dressing up.

 

For the nth times, I wish  that I could talk to my mom about this. I wanna ask her why I got breathless when I think of her. I wanna share my giddiness with her. I'd never felt this way to anyone.

I want to tell her all the funny things that Chaeyoung said.  Eventho her jokes sometimes caught me off guard, I mean in a no-jam way, still, I wanna tell her how to stop myself from thinking about her even though I tried so hard not to. I wanna ask her if this is the way she felt about Dad at the beginning.

I'm telling myself it’s OK to like the person with the same gender. It's not like I'm going to create a relationship with her. But still, theres an uneasy feeling that I can't think of what was it.

I didn’t get sick after the last time I saw her, and she respected that, she knows the rules—no touching, full decontamination treatment, no visit if she even suspects she could get sick in the next few days.

Is it just because she's a considerate person that I'm falling for her?

I'm telling myself there’s no harm in lying to mom. I tell myself I won’t get sick. I tell myself there’s no harm in friendship.

That squirrel Sana is right, love can’t kill me.

 

FORECAST

Chaeyoung is standing against the wall again when I enter the room. My stomach does a little flip thing that I’m really going to have to get used to it, since it seems to be a side effect of seeing her.

I was in this room to do my homework yesterday. I know it’s exactly the same as I left it, but it looks and feels different. The room is so much more alive with Chaeyoung in it. If all of the the fake plants and trees swayed to life right now, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I walk to the couch and settle into the corner farthest away from her.

Down from the wall, she sits down cross-legge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter