Other Worlds

Eye Eye Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE FIFTH SENSE

Hearing,

After the hard thinking, I'm starting to drag my feets to the airlock as the alarm’s keypad tries to announce my escape by emitting a loud BEEP each time I press a number. I can only hope that the sound is too unexpected and my mom’s room too far away from the door for her to hear it.      

The door unseals with a sigh, sliding like welcoming me to go out.     

Finally, I’m Outside.   

The world seems so quiet as it roars.   

Touch, 

The front-door handle is metal-cool and smooth, almost slippery. It’s easy to let go of it, and I did it.   

Sight,

It’s 4 a.m. and it's too dark for details. My eyes take in only the general shape of things, fuzzy silhouettes against the night sky. Large trees, smaller trees, steps, garden, stone path leading to a gate with a picket fence on either side. Gate, gate, gate around the houses. 

Smell,

I’m in Chaeyoung’s garden. The air is full, ripe with scent—flowers, earth, my expanding fear. I store it away in my lungs. I toss pebbles at her window, willing her to come out. I'm breathing the air night breeze. I'm breathing! 

I'm calling to Chaeyoung. I know she sleeps late tonight. And now Chaeyoung’s in front of me, stunned, confused and dumbfounded. Yes, chaeng! I'm outside, shouting in my mind. I don’t say anything toward her.

Taste,

I smile, excited as I miss her so much. Without any words, I swing my legs as fast as I could. I stopped in front of her, gummy-smilling, and she's looking straight into my eyes, unbelieve that I'm actually in front of her. This can't be a dream.

With eyes connecting, with thousand of feelings, without hesitaton, I press my lips to her. At first she’s frozen, uncertain and unyielding, but then she realized that it's me. She reply to my kiss all at once, pulls me even more tight against her body. One of her hands is in my hair and the other one is gripping my waist.

We met our lips, kissing like there is no tomorrow as how much we had longing for each other presence. She keeps kissing and my lips, tasting the sweetness of our feeling. Her kiss tastes just like I remember, caramel and sunshine that never failed to melt me. 

 

After a few moments, we paused, catching a breath and that's when we come back to our senses.

Well, Chaeyoung comes to her sense. She pulls away, grips my shoulders with both hands.

“Minari what the hell are you doing out here? Yah, are you okay? Are you sick? Did something wrong happened? Does your mom OK?” Chaeyoung asks in hurry, without a single breath.

I’m all bravado. “I’m fine Chaeng. She’s fine. I-I-I’m running away from my house. From my mom..”

The light from her room above casts just enough light so I can see confusion across the planes of her face. She looks confused and quickly catch a look at my backpack.

“Minari, I don’t understand,” she says befuddled.

I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself but freeze midway.

The night air is cold and moist and heavy and completely unlike any air I’ve ever breathed. It's a foreign feelings.

I try to unbreathe it, to expel it from my lungs. My lips tingled and I’m light-headed. Is that just a fear, or is it something else?

“Mina, Minari, look at me baby,” she whispers against my ear.

“What have you done? Are you even aware of what you are doing Minari?” Her tones sounds complicated, makes me freeze.

I can’t answer. My throat is blocked like I’ve swallowed a stone. I feel panic, yet exciting that I don't know how to explain it to her.

“Okay Minari, calm down and try not to breathe,” she says holding my right hand, starts guiding me back to my house.

Its my turn who got confused, I'm dazed for a while that I let her pull me for a second, maybe two, but then I stop moving. Chaeyoung turns her head immediately.

“What is it? Can you walk Mina? Do you need me to carry you?”

I shake my head and pull my hand from her.

I take a sip of night air.

“Chaeng, look, I said I’m running away. I don't wanna go home, so please don't drag me back.” I sounds like pleading.

She growl. “What are you talking about Minari? Do you have a death wish? I don't wanna you gettin' sick. You shouldn't do this Mina-ya.”

“Opposite Chaeng,” I say, pausing a thing for a moment.

“Chaeyoung ah, pleas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter