First Contact

Eye Eye Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two days passed and I’ve stopped moping. I’m getting better at ignoring the neighbors as I heard a ping coming from outside. I'm laying down on my couch, still mired over the book that i've read, Lord of the Flies. Mercifully, I am close to finishing. Ralph is on the beach awaiting a violent death. I’m so eager for the book to end so that I can read something else, something happier, the thing that can makes me flutters so I ignored the sound.

A few minutes later and there’s another ping, it's louder this time. I put the book down and listen. Pings! three, four, and five come in rapid succession. Something’s hitting my window. Hail? I’m up and at my window before I can think better of it. I push the curtains aside.

Chaeyoung’s windows are wide open, the blinds are up, and the lights are off in her room. The indestructible Bundt is sitting on her windowsill wearing googly eyes that are staring right at me. "Cute, like her owner." And damn, i'm giggling for nothing. The cake trembles and then tilts forward, as if contemplating the distance to the ground. It retreats and trembles a little bit more. I’m trying to see Chae in her darkened room when the Bundt leaps from the sill and plunges to the ground.

I gasped. Does the cake just committed suicide? I crane my neck to see what’s become of it, but it’s too dark to see. Everything about me is dark. I sighed.

Just then a spotlight illuminates the cake. Unbelievably, it’s still intact. What is that thing made of? It’s probably the best that we didn’t try to eat it.

The light goes out and I look up just in time to catch Chaeyoung’s black-clad hand and flashlight retreat into the window. I stay for a few minutes, watching and waiting for her to come back, but she doesn’t.  

And for the first time, i'm waiting for someone.

Night Two

I’m just settling into my favourite bed sheets, when the pings begin again. I am determined to ignore her, and I did. Whatever she wants, I should stop thinking about it. It’s easier not to know.

I don’t go to the window that night or the next.

Night Three

I can’t stand it, the curiosity kilIed me. I peek out from the corner of my curtains.

The Bundt is sitting on the sill, Band-Aids and bandages covering half its body. Chaeyoung is nowhere to be found.  I hope she will notice me. 

Night Four

The Bundt is sitting on the table next to the window. There’s a martini glass filled with green liquid, a pack of cigarettes, and a pill bottle with a skull and crossbones label. Another suicide attempt? Geez, this small girl really can't leave my mind. 

But still, no Chaeyoung.

Night Five

The Bundt is lying on the white sheet. An upside-down plastic water bottle is attached to what looks like a coat hanger and is hanging above the cake. A string hangs from the bottle to the Bundt like an IV. Chaeyoung appears wearing a white jacket and stethoscope. She’s frowning down at the Bundt and listening for a heartbeat. I want to laugh but I don’t let myself. Chaeyoung looks up and shakes her head solemnly. I close my curtains, suppressing a smile, and walk away. Oh god, did she noticed me?  Why my heart is beating so fast? 

Night Six

I tell myself that I won’t look, but as soon as the first ping sounds aloud, I took a peek through window. Chaeyoung is wearing a black bathrobe with an oversized silver cross around her neck. She’s performing the last rites on the Bundt with her dramatic poses, exactly looks like a Maleficent trying to fight for Aurora.

Finally I can't help it. I've started to laughed and laugh even more by seeing those actions. She looked up and grins back, getting blushed as someone is actually watching her.

Meanwhile in Son Chaeyoung mind, she thinks that the brunette are so pretty, even from afar plus with loosen shoulder white shirt, she seems so feminine and elegant.  Gosh, she seems perfect.

I took a black marker from my study desk and I write something on the window, "Hey there, can i have your email?  I would like to ask you something."

Chaeyoung chuckled, and moved closer to her windows, writing something on her drawing sketch, "Hey there, sure."  

And this is how we start.

FIRST CONTACT, PART ONE

From: Myoui Mina

To: Son Chaeyoung

Subject: Hello

Sent: June 4, 8:03 PM

Hello. I guess we should start with introductions? My name is Myoui Mina , but you can tell that from my e-mail address. What’s yours?

- Myoui Mina

P.S. You don’t have anything to apologize for.

P.P.S. What is that Bundt made of?

From: Son Chaeyoung

To:Myoui Mina

Subject: RE: Hello

Sent: June 4, 8:07 PM

You're a terrible spy Mina. It's witty if you haven’t figured out my name yet.  Me and my sister (her name is Tzuyu in case you forgot) tried to meet you last week, but your mom wasn’t having it. I really don’t know what the bundt made of. Rocks? or woods maybe.. 

From:Myoui Mina

To: Son Chaeyoung

Subject: RE: RE: Hello

Sent: June 4, 8:11 PM

Hi,

Bundt Cake Recipe

3 cups all-purpose cement mix

1 1/4 cup fine grain sawdust

1 cup gravel (various sizes for added interest)

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup Elmer’s Glue

2 sticks unsalted butter

3 tsp paint thinner

4 large eggs (roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter