The White Room

Eye Eye Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is my favorite room. Most of the days i love it, because i can imagine the glass falling away and i'm outside. I don't leave my house. I haven't left my house for 17 years. If i went outside, i'd die. Sorry to sound morose. Irradiators sterilize my clothes. I own 100 white T-shirts, its my standard uniform. The airlock sealed room surrounding the front door, its an airtight. Nothing can leak into the house when the door's open. It's not that i don't want to go outside, it's just I'd never get to.  The sunlight, the natural air breeze that passed by through the sealed room, i'd never had a chance to experience it.  I'm hundred percent a lonely homie who wants a normal life.

Simple viruses can kill me. It's like i'm allergic to everything. What i eat, what i touch, they all have consequences. My disease is as rare as it is famous. It’s a form of Severe Combined Immunodeficiency, but you know it as “bubble baby disease.” My immune system .  Basically, I’m allergic to the whole outside world. Anything can trigger about of sickness. It could be the chemicals in the cleaner used to wipe the table that I just touched. It could be someone’s perfume. It could be the exotic spice in the food that I just ate. It could be one, or all, or none of these things, or something else entirely. No one knows the triggers, but everyone knows the consequences. According to my mom I almost died as an infant. And so I stay on SCID row. I don’t leave my house, had never left my house.

I took an architecture class online, whenever i make a new model, I put an astronaut inside. I can relate to her, I feel like an astronaut staranded in the space. Every day feels exactly the same. My mom made me join a support group online. Some of them are really sick, others have a hard time with social interactions, but most of them are positive about their diseases. And at least i have the internet to connect to the world outside. At least. I do exercises routine, eat healthily and i read a lot of genres from the books. I’VE read many more books than you. It doesn’t matter how many you’ve read. I’ve read more. Believe me. I’ve had the time. When i'm done, i write short reviews. I do that to fill my isolated heart, desserted life.

Life is Short™

Spoiler Reviews by Black Swan.

FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by DANIEL KEYES

Spoiler alert: Algernon is a mouse. The mouse dies.

Alien Invasion, Part 2

I’m up to the part where Charlie realizes that the mouse’s fate may be his own when I hear a loud, rumbling noise outside. Immediately my mind goes to outer space. I picture a giant mother ship hovering in the skies above us. Maybe today's different.

The house trembles and my books vibrate on the shelves. A steady beeping joins the rumbling and I know what it is. A truck. Probably just lost, I tell myself, to stave off disappointment. Probably just made a wrong turn on their way to someplace else.

But then the engine cuts off. Doors open and close. A moment passes, and then another, and then a woman’s voice sings out, “Welcome to our new home, everybody!”

In just a minute I’m already at the window, sweeping the curtains aside.I am not prepared for the bright sun. I’m not prepared for the sight of it, high and blazing hot and white against the washed out white sky. I am blind. But then the white haze over my vision begins to clear. Everything is haloed.

I see the truck and the silhouette of an older woman twirling—the mother. I see an older man at the back of the truck—the father. I see a girl maybe a little younger than me—the daughter.

Then I see her. She’s not that tall, lean, and wearing all black: black T-shirt, black jeans, black low cut converse sneakers, and a black knit cap that covered her hair completely. She’s white with a pale honey tan and her face is starkly angular with those red plump lips. Enough to make me amazed by the view. She jumps down from her perch at the back of the truck and glides across the driveway, moving as if gravity affects her differently than it does the rest of us. She stops, her head to one side, and stares up at her new house as if it were a puzzle.

After a few seconds she begins bouncing lightly on the balls of his feet. Suddenly she takes off at a sprint and runs literally six feet up the front wall. She grabs a windowsill and dangles from it for a second or two and then drops back down into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter