Chapter 5 — Channeling the Power of the Force

Don't Urge Me

Jihyo’s class ended late, so why isn’t Mina right outside, waiting for her? Her class ends 15 minutes earlier, so she should be here by now. Just then she gets a text message.

 

From: Myoui Penguin

Jihyo-yah, mianhae. Something came up with Momo. I’ll make it up to you, promise! Saranghaeyo~

 

Jihyo sighs. Her best friend’s gotten so busy already, now that she’s Momo’s girlfriend.

 

“Well, I guess I better get used to this now,” she says out loud, talking to herself.

 

“Are you talking to yourself, or do you have an invisible friend only you can see?”

 

Jihyo jumps, startled at the voice. She turns to see a tall girl standing in front of her. She immediately recognizes her as Chou Tzuyu, a member of Twice. Tzuyu’s smiling at Jihyo, the former’s dimples showing on her face.

 

As soon as Momo and Mina enter the car on their way to Momo’s, Mina remembers that it’s her and Jihyo’s designated Karaoke Night.

 

“Oh, crap,” she mutters, unable to control herself.

 

“What is it?” Momo asks.

 

“I was supposed to meet with Jihyo today. I have to call her and tell her I’m sorry.”

 

Momo takes out her phone and searches for Tzuyu's number.

 

“It’s bad to use your phone while driving, you know,” Mina reminds her, but Momo ignores it.

 

“Hey, Yoda.”

 

“What’s up, Moguri?” Tzuyu says on the other line.

 

“Do you have a date for tonight?”

 

“Is having a date required? ‘Cause I plan to find someone there, if you know what I mean.”

 

“What do you think about Park Jihyo?”

 

“Jihyo? Mina-unnie’s friend?”

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

The line is silent for a while; Momo gives Tzuyu some time to think.

 

“Well, alright,” Tzuyu finally says.

 

“Okay then. See you later, Yoda.”

 

“Jihyo’s gonna say no,” Mina tells Momo as soon as she hangs up. Mina’s sure of it. “I better text her myself that I’m not gonna make it.”

 

“Tzuyu is Yoda,” Momo argues. “The force is with her.”

 

“Jihyo’s my best friend,” Mina retorts, refusing to back down. “She’s gonna say no.”

 

They’re at an intersection now, and Momo turns to Mina as she stops the car. She smirks at the redhead.

 

“Wanna bet on it?”

 

“Let me guess,” Tzuyu starts. “You were supposed to meet Mina-unnie here, aren’t you? But she’s standing you up for Momo?”

 

“Yes. And? What does this have to do with you?”

 

“Aren’t you a feisty one. It’s Jihyo, right?”

 

“Yeah. And you’re Tzuyu.”

 

“I just want to apologize for Momo and all the trouble she’s caused you and Mina so far. With Momo’s family, surprises like these are bound to come often. As her girlfriend, Mina has to be there for her now. Or else Momo would go crazy with everything that’s going on.”

 

Jihyo nods. She kind of understands better now. She figures it’s true how richer people have more personal problems. “Okay,” she replies, ready to walk away. But before she could go, Tzuyu reaches for her arm.


“Hey, you could still see Mina tonight if you want to. If you come with me, that is. What do you say?”