Chapter 14 — What Happens In Jeju, Stays In Jeju

Don't Urge Me

After the Pepero kiss, and after everyone greets Momo happy birthday, the girls attend to their own. Jihyo and Tzuyu join Jeongyeon and Nayeon, Jeongyeon asking about the new couple.

 

“How the hell did this happen without my knowledge?” Jeongyeon says mostly to Tzuyu, feigning hurt.

 

Meanwhile, Sana is nowhere to be seen, and Momo approaches Dahyun. Mina sees them and she feels that familiar twisted feeling. Is she jealous? No! she says to herself. She can’t be.

 

“Looks like Yoda finally snagged your best friend.” Mina turns around and sees Chaeyoung holding a bottle of beer.

 

“Yeah, finally,” Mina agrees. “Be honest with me, though. Is Tzuyu serious about Jihyo or is she just gonna dump her after a week?”

 

Chaeyoung puts her free hand on her chin, thinking about how to respond. “I think Jihyo-unnie will be Tzuyu’s first real girlfriend. And hopefully her last.”

 

Mina sighs in relief. “Thanks, Chaeng.”

 

Just then they hear someone shriek in shock. They turn to the source of the sound. It’s Nayeon. True to Momo’s prediction earlier, Jeongyeon just vomited beside the bunny.

 

“Well, I guess that’s my cue to help them,” says Chaeyoung, running to her no-jam “hyung”.

 

Mina tries not to look at Momo but fails. When she sees them again Momo’s face is so close to Dahyun, and they’re looking into each other’s eyes.

 

And Mina couldn’t take it anymore. She’s not really a confrontational person, so she just sits beside the pool and puts her head between her knees. This way, no one can see the tears coming out from her eyes.

 

“Stupid Momo,” she mutters. “Ah! Mina don’t cry!” she tries to force herself to stop but she keeps on sniffing.

 

“You’re crying?” a voice says beside her. Mina immediately recognizes Momo but doesn’t reply.

 

“Mitang, hey. Look at me.”

 

Mina keeps quiet.

 

“Please, Mitang…”

 

Finally Mina lifts her head and looks at Momo, who’s smiling at her apologetically.

 

“Are you… Are you mad at me?” Momo asks her. “What did I do?”

 

“Nothing,” Mina replies coldly, looking away.

 

“Hey…” Momo cups Mina’s face with one hand and moves it so that the ballerina is facing her then caresses her cheek. She searches for Mina’s eyes with her own.

 

“Guess you’re used to this, huh?” Mina spits out. “Looking into girls’ eyes, touching their faces.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Momo knits her eyebrows, and then she realizes she had been talking to Dahyun earlier. And they were too close for comfort for most people. And Mina probably saw them.

 

“Oh,” is all Momo says.

 

Mina’s about to stand up but Momo stops her, holding her shoulders.

 

“Mitang,” she starts. “I’m sorry if I’m like that to Dahyun. She’s kinda like my little sister so I’m used to treating her like that. I tend to be that way to my close friends.”

 

“I remember the day when Sana told me you were looking for a girlfriend,” Mina responds. “She said you wanted Dahyun first but she told you no so you looked for somebody else instead.”

 

Momo chuckles, making Mina even more annoyed. “Just… Just forget about that. I was just teasing Sana that time. I had no intentions of making Dahyun my girlfriend. Besides, Sana likes her.”

 

“Yeah, that much is clear.”

 

Momo nods. “They’re having a fight. Sana and Dahyun. Dahyun says Sana flirts too much with other people and Sana asks her what’s wrong about that if she’s single.” She lets out a harsh laugh. “Those two idiots. They don’t know that they like each other.”

 

Mina doesn’t reply, so Momo continues.

 

“Sana locked herself up in the room and Dahyun didn’t know what to do. I was just comforting her when you saw us. But she’s on her way to Sana now. Mitang, I just want those two to be happy. I love them both, especially Sana.”

 

“Sana?” Mina repeats. She admits the two are pretty close.

 

“Sana’s my half-sister,” Momo confesses.

 

“She’s what?” Mina almost shouts.

 

“Not so loud!” Momo warns her, but she's chuckling now. “But yeah, she’s my and Hana’s half-sister. She’s dad’s daughter, but she’s using her mother’s last name.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

“Because my dad doesn’t want the general public to know that he cheated on my mom. Look, Mitang, the point is—I love Sana as a sister, and I love Dahyun as a sister-in-law. There’s no need for you to be jealous.”

 

“Pfft.” Mina scoffs. “Me, jealous? No way. I wasn’t.”

 

Momo laughs at Mina, sure that the penguin is lying. Then her face turns serious. “Mitang. Words can't begin how happy I am because I met you. Dancing is… It’s something I don’t get to do often these days. So I’m glad I shared the stage with you.”

 

She moves her face closer to Mina who flinches at Momo’s sudden movement.

 

“Dancing is my life, but… I wasn’t kidding when I said that dancing with you is on a whole other level.” Momo flits her eyes back and forth, from Mina’s eyes to her lips. “You are on a whole other level. You make me feel so many things. You make me want to do so many things. Like this.” She inches even closer to the ballerina. And when their lips finally touch for the very first time, Momo closes her eyes.

 

Helen Keller said that the best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched, but Momo disagrees with that statement. Because touching Mina’s lips with her own is probably the most heavenly feeling she’s ever felt.

 

Momo buries her hands in Mina’s hair, while Mina puts hers on Momo’s sides. The two keep kissing each other, lips moving back and forth until they run out of breath, their foreheads connected even when they stop.

 

Momo catches her breath before she starts to speak. “You don’t know how badly I wanted that Pepero kiss to continue, Mitang.”

 

Mina smirks at Momo, and the latter’s heart flutters at the sight. “Do you want to go to Sana so we could thank her?” she asks, but Momo shakes her head.

 

“Ani. I just want to keep kissing you.”


And so, for the rest of the night, she does. It’s during this night that both girls realize, they’re falling in love.