Chapter 12 — Passing Days

Don't Urge Me

“I want nobody, nobody but you. I want nobody, nobody but you.”

 

Jihyo shakes her head, not satisfied with Tzuyu’s singing.

 

“What now?” Tzuyu asks. “We’ve been going through this song for hours.”

 

“It’s only been about 30 minutes since we started, and it’s because you’re not doing it right. You’re not breathing properly.”

 

Tzuyu sighs. “Okay. But if I do this well, you’ll go out with me, right?”

 

Jihyo stares hard at Tzuyu before opening to speak. “I know you, Chou Tzuyu. You’re the casanova of Twice. Sometimes you get girls just by looking at them. Well, I don’t want any part of that.”

 

Tzuyu grunts at that. “Just you wait, Jihyo-unnie. You’ll be mine someday.”

 

“Oh, I strongly doubt that.”

 

 

Mina wanders around the hallway when she finishes her class. She passes by the music room and hears someone playing the violin. She stays outside to listen until the music stops. When she opens the door to compliment the violinist, she sees…

 

“Chaeyoung?”

 

“Oh, hey, Mina-unnie.”

 

“I didn’t know you play the violin.”

 

“Oh, you heard, huh?”

 

“Yeah,” Mina says. “It was good.”

 

“Thank you,” Chaeyoung replies with a smile. She starts stuffing the instrument back to its case.

 

“Hey Chaeng…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Why didn’t you come to Momo’s performance last week?” Mina asks. “At the high school?”

 

“Oh. I had to go somewhere that day. You danced with Momo-unnie, right? Sorry I wasn’t able to go.”

 

“It’s okay. Sana took a video, anyway.”

 

“I’ll be sure to watch it.” Chaeyoung makes her way out the door and Mina follows her. “Have you eaten yet?”

 

“As a matter of fact, I haven’t.”

 

 

Momo, Tzuyu and Jeongyeon are at their lounge. No one’s talking since they’re all so busy with their phones, but then Jeongyeon notices Momo smiling like an idiot. She nudges Tzuyu who’s studying Korean through an app.

 

“Hey, Yoda,” Jeongyeon whispers.

 

“What?”

 

“Look at Moguri over there. She’s actually smiling.”

 

Tzuyu glances to Momo’s direction. “Oh yeah,” Tzuyu agrees. “She looks stupid.”

 

“Shut up, Chou,” Momo speaks, not looking away from her phone.

 

“Hey, have any of you guys seen Chaeyoung?” Tzuyu then asks.

 

“No,” Momo replies with a straight face.

 

“Me neither,” says Jeongyeon. Just then she remembers something. “Hey, Momo-yah. Your birthday is next week, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“So what’s your plan?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Don’t you want to take Mina out on a date?” Jeongyeon prods further.

 

“It’s my birthday; why should I take her out on a date?”

 

“Because maybe after the date she’ll give you a gift, if you know what I mean.”

 

Momo scoffs. “Unlike you, I don’t have a dirty mind, Jeong.”

 

“What? I was just being realistic. She’s your girlfriend, right?”

 

“Oh please,” Tzuyu comments, joining the conversation. “I bet Momo hasn’t even kissed her yet.”

 

“Care to put some truth to that, Moguri?” says Jeongyeon.

 

“If you keep asking me about this, I’ll forbid Nayeon from seeing you ever again.”

 

“Geez, relax, girl,” Jeongyeon utters, accepting defeat.

 

Momo smirks. “You’re such a tsundere when it comes to Nabongs.”

 

 

On a Saturday night, Jihyo comes over Mina’s house for a long overdue sleepover. She brings chips and some bottles of beer for the night. (Mina’s parents approved of the booze, so it’s fine.) While Mina switches on her laptop so they could watch a movie, Jihyo opens up their first bag of chips.

 

“Jihyo-yah, Momo’s inviting us to their family’s rest house next week for her birthday,” Mina tells Jihyo who’s already walking towards the bed where Mina is. “It’s in Jeju island.”

 

“Why am I invited?” asks Jihyo.

 

“Because you’re my best friend?” replies Mina, as if it’s the most obvious reason in the world.

 

“I mean… Aren’t the two of you going alone?” Jihyo clarifies, causing the penguin to blush.

 

“What? N—No, I—” Mina takes a deep breath before continuing. “Momo invited a lot of people. Nayeon will come of course, and Chaeyoung, Jeongyeon, Tzuyu…”

 

“Tzuyu?” Jihyo mutters unconsciously, but unfortunately for her, her best friend hears her voice.

 

“Uh-huh, Tzuyu. Why?” Mina raises her eyebrow. “What’s going on between the two of you, exactly?”

 

“Nothing,” Jihyo answers immediately. “Absolutely nothing.”

 

Mina pouts and inches closer to Jihyo, staring at her. “Jihyo-yah…” she pleads in the cutest way possible.

 

“Whoa,” Jihyo remarks, shaking her head in disbelief. “You’ve gotten really good at aegyo, Myoui.”

 

“Really?”

 

Jihyo nods at the ballerina. “Did Momo teach you this?”

 

“Maybe…” Mina replies sheepishly. “Hey! Don’t change the subject! What’s going on with you and Chou Tzuyu?”

 

“Damn, I almost got away with that…” Jihyo takes a deep breath. “Look. Tzuyu and I aren’t dating. I’m just teaching her Korean and singing lessons, like what I’ve already told you. What I didn’t tell you is that she’s taking those lessons so that she can take me out on a date.”

 

“What?” Mina squeals, the chips about to explode from the bag since she was holding it at the time. “So are you going to say yes?”

 

“No.”

 

“Why noooot?”

 

“Because Tzuyu is a player. She’s not serious when it comes to relationships. She’ll just treat me like a prize.”

 

“Jihyo. You know Momo told me that Tzuyu likes to move on to a different girl after one week? How long has she been getting lessons from you, huh? A month, maybe more? I think she actually likes you, Jihyo-yah. And I think you like her, too.”

 

“What? How can you possibly say that?”

 

“Because of all those reasons you just said. You didn’t say that you don’t like her.”

 

Jihyo keeps shut. Guess her best friend caught her this time.

 

“Don’t forget: next week, Momo’s birthday, Jeju island,” Mina reminds her. “You’re coming whether you like it or not.”


“Yeah, yeah,” Jihyo responds. “It’s a freaking beach house in Jeju island. Of course I’m coming.”