Toujours Belle IX

TouJours Belle

"Taeyeon, can we meet? I want to apologize." 

Tiffany sent the message and felt her heart sunk. What if Taeyeon wanted nothing more to do with her? 

Her memory flickered to the hurt on Taeyeon's face- she knew her words were harsh and had caused more harm than she expected. Jiwoong refused to give her any news about his sister, relaying that Taeyeon needed to be alone and will contact Tiffany when she is ready. When will she be ready? Tiffany didn't know, but a heavy feeling weighted in the pit of stomach as she pocketed her phone.

Tiffany was just beginning to enjoy Taeyeon's company despite her generic and neutral responses. Unlike her usual group of friends who had similar extroverted personalities like hers, Taeyeon was like a gem that Tiffany yearned to uncover.

With nothing left but guilt to accompany her in the silence of her office, Tiffany dialed her best friend's number.

//////////

Taeyeon flung her phone on the bed like it scorched her. Her cheeks flushed and Taeyeon picked up her phone to check again. Ignoring the other forty two messages from her brother and one from Yoona; Taeyeon stared incredulously at the two new unread messages. Taeyeon had a knack from numbers and easily recognized whose contact it was at first glance.

Why was Tiffany texting her? Didn't Tiffany said that she ruined everything? Hasn't she made it clear? What does she want?

Taeyeon groaned and clicked on the messages anyway. Her jaws clenched- the most recent one evoke a bubbling of anger within her and the other was dated a few days back. There was a photo attached to it and unable to withhold her curiosity, Taeyeon tapped on it.

"Good grief," Taeyeon felt the first crack of the wall around her heart and it thumped mercilessly against her chest.

Taeyeon looked away and covered her burning face with her palm. You are in trouble now, she thought, big trouble- and grabbed a towel to cool her head with a cold shower.

//////////

"You asked me out just to sigh over good coffee, good food and good company?" Juhyun teased, in delight at mouthful of cheesecake. Tiffany managed a small smile and propped her chin on her palm.

"I like your new hair cut by the way, it suits you."

"You would have noticed it earlier you know," Juhyun pointed her fork at Tiffany's grinning face, "If you weren't busy with whatever it is. I posted a photo on Instagram two weeks ago."

Tiffany shrugged and snatched the plate of cheesecake that was depleting quickly, earning a loud groan of protest from the younger girl.

"Work," Tiffany said, avoiding Juhyun's inquisitive eyes as she dug into the remainder of the sweet treat. "Wow, this is amazing!"

"Work? You used to have time for us despite work, Tiff."

"It's different this time and..." Tiffany paused and sipped on her drink, biting back Taeyeon's name on her tongue, "Yeah, I'm just working on something more impressive this time."

"Huh." Juhyun deadpanned. Tiffany averted her gaze to the crumbs remaining on the plate, poking around with the fork in her hand.

"I heard from Sooyoung about this new friend of yours..." Juhyun said cautiously, "Taeyeon, is it?"

"Blabbermouth," she muttered and clasped her lips tightly around the straw.

"She is not just a friend, isn't she?"

"What do you mean?" Tiffany jerked her head up in surprise.

"You won't be like that around friends, Tiff." Juhyun stated matter-of-a-factly. "Now, do you want to update me about what happen at work or should I ask Sooyoung about it?"

Tiffany huffed and proceeded with the story; about her tattoo from Taeyeon, the photoshoot and wincing when she recall her lashing out at Taeyeon. 

Juhyun foremost congratulated her upon the approval of her proposed column and shared her anticipation towards the release of the month's issue. Tiffany beamed gratefully and held her best friend's cheeks, squeezing her face affectionately. Juhyun swatted her hands away, flustered, but with a smile on her face.

"You should have told me earlier and not keep all these to yourself, stupid."

"I admit that I'm stupid, alright. I feel so relieved right now."

"What about Taeyeon? Have you talked to her?"

"She is not replying me."

"Do you care for her?"

"Of course!" Juhyun winced at the volume of Tiffany's voice. "I mean I barely know her but... I care."

"Why?"

"She.. she is nice and I like her as a friend?"

"As a friend? Really?"

"What are you implying, Hyun?" Tiffany snapped.

"What you think it is, Tiff," Juhyun calmly said. "I'm your best friend so I'm being honest with you. You go figure that out. Whatever it is, I'll be here if you need me." Tiffany and Juhyun finished their beverages in silence.

//////////

"Taeyeon?"

"Oppa?" Taeyeon looked up at her book in surprise, "What are you doing here?"

"Making sure you're alive after ignoring a thousand messages from me."

"It's technically forty six," Taeyeon replied wittily and Jiwoong scowled at her.

"Ungrateful," he muttered and placed the container of abalone porridge beside her.

"Have you heard from Tiffany?"

Taeyeon slammed her book shut. She hopped off the counter. "Coffee?"

"Wow," Jiwoong laughed. "Kim Taeyeon offering me coffee and not cigarette first? That's new."

"Take it or leave it," she glowered.

"I'll take it, I'll take it."

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at her brother and Jiwoong gulped. She reappeared a minute later with two cups of steaming coffee, pushing one into her brother's hand. He took a whiff of the liquid and relaxed as he took a sip, appreciating her sister's exquisite taste.

"I talked to Tiffany," Jiwoong carefully initiated the conversation. "She was sorry about what she said." Jiwoong watched Taeyeon's reaction closely. As expected, Taeyeon remained silent.

"She cried," he saw Taeyeon's eyebrows raised slightly, "because she was guilty about hurting you. Her boss gave her a really hard time too." Taeyeon lowered her gazed to the brown liquid swirling in her cup. Her shoulders slumped and Jiwoong's intuition told him that his gut feelings were correct.

"Taeyeon," he clasped a hand over his sister's shoulder, "do you like her?"

Taeyeon spluttered on her mouthful of coffee and Jiwoong jerked back in shock at her reaction.

"What are you talking about?" She wiped with the back of her hand, throwing a glare at her brother. Jiwoong remained unaffected- the blush on Taeyeon's face, the panic in her voice and the flickering eyes did not go unnoticed.

"You go figure that out yourself." He said, and patted her affectionately on her head. "Whatever it is, I'll be here if you need me."