Toujours Belle VII

TouJours Belle

The rest of the week was uneventful for Taeyeon. She took a whiff and exhaled, the spine of the hardcover book before slotting it back into the bookshelf. Her bookstore life was mundane and Taeyeon had just finished reading the Harry Potter series. 

It wasn't fast based on her records; she could easily finish the whole series within five days. The fact that she has taken more than a week this time probably meant 1.) Taeyeon has read them too many times 2.) Taeyeon need to get some new books 3.) Taeyeon is distracted. Tiffany came to her mind at the third thought and she shook her head. I must be going crazy, she thought, as she rummaged for her bag, deciding to go with the second option. Not forgetting her box of cigarette, Taeyeon put on her hoodie and lock the door behind her.

Taeyeon smiled a little as she walked around the bend, bowing a little to the ahjumma who waved at her from the food truck.

"Taeyeon-ah, do you want some ddeokbokki?" She called affectionately and Taeyeon began walking back to the truck. She haven't had lunch; originally planning to have some kimchi stew instead.

However, she could not refuse the adoration in the motherly voice- one that Taeyeon craved and seek. The ahjumma cooed at her and she laughed as her bowl of ddeokbokki was filled to the brim, topped with a kimbap and various fried fritters.

Taeyeon reached Dongdaemun later than she had expected; half running and half panting- Taeyeon exhaled in relief when the secondhand books market was still operating. Taeyeon leisurely browsed through and picked up some books; dodging the romance genre- but a handful of the synopsis is interesting enough for her to add on to her pile.

She hummed a little tune. Lost in her own world, she accidentally walked into someone and "Science Tattoos for Dummies" fell from the man's hand with a thud. Taeyeon's eyelids twitched as she apologized and she had a premonition.

//////////

Tiffany was giggling on her phone, deciding to tease a calm and composed Taeyeon after her talk with Jiwoong last week.

"You know," Jiwoong said with a mouthful of rice in his mouth, "My sister is usually hard to coaxed but you've done so a few times quite effortlessly."

"Really?" Tiffany laughed, scooping a spoonful of rice into as well, "oh my god, this is so good." She exclaimed in English.

"I can never get used to you speaking in English." Jiwoong grinned mischievously. "But yes, also! I have seen Taeyeon being flustered around you. Weird, isn't it?"

"Flustered? How so?"

"I don't know, just not as cold." Jiwoong shrugged.

"Hmm, maybe she secretly wants a sister more than a brother. And adores me more than you."

"Yes noona," Jiwoong jokingly stuck his tongue out and they bursted into laughter.

Tiffany had just selected a picture of her in a white bare-backed top, revealing the inked skin at her sides. "It's looking amazing! Thanks Taeyeon!" and hit the send button. 

She was humming a little tune when her door swung open and she beamed warmly at the man who walked in. Tiffany stood up to greet him.

"How is your column going?"

"It's alright," she clicked on a few folders and showed him a few edited photos of Taeyeon in action, "Just some editing, an interview and we can publish this by end of this month."

He leisurely took over her tablet, nodding his head in approval at the professionally edited photographs.

"Is she a certified tattoo artist?"

"Sorry?"

"Is she-" he pointed at picture of Taeyeon staring at the screen with an intense gaze. "-a professional and certified tattoo artist?"

Tiffany froze. Her boss saw the look of confusion on her face and clicked his tongue.

"You should have done enough research before doing this column, Tiffany. Unlike America, this is a very sensitive topic here in South Korea." He folded his arm. "I came to check on you because I heard of some uncharacteristic behaviors you had while arranging for this shoot."

"I'm sorry," Tiffany muttered and felt her eyelids twitched. With a sigh, her boss clasped a hand over her shoulder.

"You'd better ask her soon and get your facts right. We still have time before the end of the month. It doesn't mean you have special privileges just because I'm your uncle. Don't disappoint me, Steph." He said with authority and Tiffany deflated.

"I'm sorry, Samchon."

//////////

Taeyeon was surprised to see the figure leaning against her door.

"It's not Sunday today, right?" She asked with a smile and saw the lack of expression on Tiffany's face.

"Is something wrong?" Her own smile faded, walking catiously towards the brunette while juggling with the books in her hands.

"Are you a certified tattoo artist?"

"Sorry?"

"You heard me, Taeyeon. I'm not going to repeat myself." Taeyeon flinched at the tone.

"No, I'm not."

"What?!"

"No, I mean you never asked and-" Taeyeon defended herself and grabbed a book that was slipping off her hand, piling it at the top of the stack, "-yeah you didn't asked-"

"You know it is illegal on Korea?"

Taeyeon stared at her.

"Yes," she said, softly. "Yes, of course, I know."

"Then-" Tiffany raked her hair in frustration. Samchon is right, Tiffany thought. How uncharacteristic and unprofessional of her to rush into the shoot without a full research. 

"Is this because I inked you? And I'm not certified?"

"It's not!" Tiffany boomed. "I trust you! So I don't care if you have a certificate or not!"
Taeyeon saw people gathering around them and she nervously tugged at Tiffany's elbow.

"Let's go in and talk, please-" she pleaded but Tiffany was too blinded by rage to think properly. She glared fiercely at Taeyeon.

"You just ruined my column! My idea for this whole month, you just-" Tiffany breathed and Taeyeon froze. The tension around them hung heavily in the evening sky. The crowded had dispersed as the two stood silently, a few lingering inquisitive souls watched them intensely.

"If it's illegal, why do you still agree to help me? You know your face will appear on the magazine, right?"

"I know." Taeyeon's head was hung and Tiffany could not see her expression.

"Then why?"

"I don't know." Taeyeon whispered and pushed past Tiffany as the latter remained silent. She dug into her pocket for the key and opened her door with trembling hand.

"I'm sorry for ruining your column and everything else," Taeyeon apologized, "Please don't treat Jiwoong differently, he is innocent. Bye Tiffany, be well."

Taeyeon slammed the door in Tiffany's face. Tiffany realized that her column doesn't matter that much all of a sudden, but the hurt expression on Taeyeon's face pulled at her heart strings.