Toujours Belle VI

TouJours Belle

"Here?"

"Here."

"H-here?"

"Yes Taeyeon, focus!" Tiffany hissed and Taeyeon swallowed.

"Why?"

"Why wha- oh, uhm." Tiffany blushed. "It's a valid reason to always want to be beautiful, right?"

"Why me?"

Tiffany tilted her head and gazed silently at Taeyeon.

"Are you ladies ready?" The photographer impatiently hollered.

"Another minute, Key-ssi!" Taeyeon winced. Taeyeon was baffled at the jittery flutters in her chest. Tiffany had a reason, one she deemed valid- she would like to think she wasn't being bias. Was it her nervousness with the attention? Or her undeniable attraction towards Tiffany?

"Uhm, any specific font?" Taeyeon stalled. Tiffany flickered her eyes to lock with hers.

"Do it your way," Tiffany whispered, her voice gentle with sincerity, "I trust you."

Taeyeon felt her stomach do somersaults.

//////////

Taeyeon was constantly reminded of the prying eyes- the camera in her face, a hovering shadow and Key's cologne invading her nasal cavity.

She checked her tools, sanitized her hands, snapped on her gloves and took a deep breath. Taeyeon had received various unusual requests to be inked before. Some were out of the place, some difficult to inked and most of the unusual request were obscene. Seeing a woman's body- even stark , was nothing new to Taeyeon.

But Tiffany- Taeyeon felt her fingers trembled when she made contact with the fair skin. Her fingers twitched against the warmth, her stomach lurched and Taeyeon went blank.

"Taeyeon, relax." Tiffany hoaxed- her voice drew Taeyeon out of her trance and immediately, she withdraw her fingers from Tiffany's skin.

"Take ten." Tiffany announced and Taeyeon raked her hair.

"What's wrong?"

"I can't do this." Taeyeon sighed. Tiffany took another look at her and gingerly hopped off the bed with the blanket around her.

"Taeyeon did not know how long she sat there staring at her trembling hands. Tiffany returned and pressed a box into her hands. Taeyeon stared at the Marlboro red in her palms.

"Tiffany-ssi?"

"It's okay," Tiffany smiled and Taeyeon felt flutters again, "It's okay. They wanted you in action, so you need this."

Taeyeon's hands shook, clumsily ripped the box and heard it hit the floor with a thud. Tiffany bent over, slide a stick out and placed it between Taeyeon's lips. Taeyeon felt the immediate comfort as she exhaled shakily.

"Sorry," Taeyeon gulped when Tiffany knelt in front of her with a guilty expression.
"I'm sorry for making you do this. It was selfish of me but I'm glad you agreed to help. I'll treat you to a meal, I promise!"

Taeyeon chuckled at the flushed cheeks. Tiffany suddenly took her hands and Taeyeon felt her cheek heated as red as Tiffany's.

"You shouldn't be smoking so much though," Tiffany said, her smile teasing for a second and her expression was serious again.

"You can do this, Taeyeon. I trust you."

//////////

Taeyeon bit the cigarette between her lips, inhaling and letting the smoke fog her mind. She effortlessly glide the machine against Tiffany's skin- wiping, cleaning, dipping the needle in ink.

The cameras and inquisitive eyes bothered her less now- she had Tiffany's trust and her cigarette between her lips- and nothing else mattered to her in an instant.

She heard Tiffany gasped as the needle punctured into her fair skin again.

"I'm almost done, Tiffany-ssi."

"Take your time. Make it beautiful."

Taeyeon heard the teasing command in her voice and she smiled. 

Taeyeon finally wiped the tender skin with alcohol swipe after another fifteen minutes and nodded with pride at the outcome.

Everything else was a blur after that- Tiffany posing for the camera, a mug shot, and even Taeyeon packing her tools became interesting for the photographers. Funny, Taeyeon thought, but said nothing as she slung her bag over her shoulders.

"The usual-" Taeyeon started when Tiffany was within earshot. Tiffany was back in her business suit. "Avoid-"

"-Avoid exposure to sun, avoid excessive contact with water, no scratching and use Vaseline. Got it, Miss Tattoo Artist."

Taeyeon shared a look with Tiffany and they bursted into laughter. Tiffany was surprised to hear the unladylike chortles. Taeyeon was laughing so heartily that Tiffany saw a glimpse of what is behind the cold facade.

"When are you publishing it?" Taeyeon asked, and Tiffany saw her eyes hardening again despite the smile still on her face.

"Not yet," Tiffany smiled back, "I still need an interview with you, editing and it should probably be published by the end of the month."

"Interview?"

"Yes, if that's okay with you," Tiffany took out her phone to check, "Let's meet this Sunday?"

"I'm always free," Taeyeon shrugged, and took out her phone as well.

Tiffany's smile widen.

"See you then. Save my number." She winked at Taeyeon.

//////////

"Is she always like that?"

"Who, what? Like what?" Jiwoong furrowed his brows in confusion at Tiffany's question. Tiffany pointed at the screen- a photograph of Taeyeon deep in concentration and with cigarette between her lips.

"Ah, I don't know. I've never really noticed or seen her in action." He said sheepishly. "Say, isn't it awkward to see yourself in photos?"

"Meh, it's fine. I look good." Tiffany grinned and Jiwoong scoffed. "What were you saying about Taeyeon again?"

"I mean... is she always this aloof and cold?"

"Oh," Jiwoong straightened up with a sigh. "It's kind of my fault, I guess."

Tiffany knew from Jiwoong that their parents never did fancy Taeyeon- Jiwoong being the first born and frequently ill, his mother did not have time for Taeyeon when she was born. Their parents called her "an accident" but they did their parts as parents to make sure that Taeyeon is clothed, dressed and educated. Their father was an compulsive alcoholic, seldom home and their mother juggled with house chores and Jiwoong's health. Taeyeon was forced to be independent since a young age, coupled with her inability to integrate with the society- Taeyeon's mother did not stop her when she put her whole fortune into the old little bookstore hidden in Chungmuro.

Still living with his mother, Jiwoong felt guilt whenever they pretend that Taeyeon didn't exist. 

Taeyeon was his sister he never knew- too distant, too cold and too guarded to comprehend. But he knew that Taeyeon adores him in her own way- welcoming, compiling with his requests and giving in every now and then.

"Ah," Tiffany frowned, her heart gave a painful throb and she gave Jiwoong a hard smack on his arm.

"Ow! Tiffany!" Jiwoong pouted.

Tiffany pointed her finger threateningly at him.

"You'd better start treating your sister better, Kim Jiwoong."

"It's not that I don't want to," he deflated, still rubbing the sore spot on his arm. "She doesn't accept anyone's kindness."

"She is a tough nut to crack, isn't she?"

"An extremely tough one. Why are we talking about Taeyeon again?"

"For my interview," Tiffany lied with a straight face. "I need to know her better to write this column."

Jiwoong stared at her with an unreadable expression. 

"Okay," he finally said. "Okay."