Toujours Belle I

TouJours Belle

 

Taeyeon was drying her cup when the door swung opened with a jingle.

“Sorry,” she said absentmindedly with a cigarette between her lips, “we are closed for the day.” Taeyeon set her cup back on the tray and folded the tea towel.

“Taeyeon?”

“Oppa?” The brunette raised her eyebrows at the nervous looking man. She beckoned him in and immediately knew he had a favor to ask when she saw him fidgeting with the temple of the sunglasses he removed. Taeyeon folded her arms and leaned against the table, offering him a cigarette which he rejected.

“I need a favor from you, Taeyeon.”

The man whispered urgently. Taeyeon sighed audibly and nudged her chin in his direction.

“You remember the ‘live life‘ tattoo you did for me? It’s really pretty and-”

“Cut the small talk, oppa. What do you want?”

The man laughed nervously and refused to look Taeyeon in the eye. He cleared his throat.

“I’m working with this magazine editor and uhm, so earlier we were at-”

“Cut to the chase. I don’t have time.”

“She saw the tattoo and she really liked the intricate details and she- She is not able to find someone trustworthy enough so I promised to bring her to you.”

The man exhaled and made a little noise of uneasiness. Taeyeon stared at him in silence for a minute.

“No,” Taeyeon took another whiff of her cigarette and stubbed it in the ashtray. She pushed herself away from the table.

“But please-”

“No,” Taeyeon said with finality and gestured towards the door. “You know the way.”

He knew better than to offend his sister. Her bark is worse than her bite. Shoulders slumped, the man regretfully apologized for not keeping his promise and bid her goodnight.

//////////

Taeyeon leisurely sipped on her Americano, running her finger along the edge of the novel idly laid on her lap when the jingle attached on her door alerted her. It has been a while since anyone visited her little bookstore hidden in the alley at 1.20pm in the noon. Straightening up, Taeyeon slotted her grey bookmark between the pages and lit the stubbed cigarette sitting on her ashtray. She rounded the shelves to welcome the lost traveler.

“Are you Taeyeon?” was the first thing Taeyeon was greeted with. A Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses sits at the crown of her head, a pink business suit draped over her shoulders and a pencil skirt that snugly hugs her hips, Taeyeon knew she just welcomed trouble. Someone must have leaked her secret, again. Business executives never wandered into her humble abode without a motive and Taeyeon locked eyes with the stranger. Taeyeon did not appreciate the inquisitive eyes sweeping every inch of her and the lingering gaze on her inked forearm that was not hidden.

“Are you Taeyeon?” she repeated and Taeyeon nearly scoffed at the assertive tone.

“Yes, and?” Taeyeon replied flatly, not shying from her obvious lack of interest by exhaling the smoke without turning away. Not daunted, the lady pulled out a name card between her fingers and arrogantly flashed it in Taeyeon’s face. Taeyeon snatched it from the beautifully manicure slender fingers.

Tiffany Hwang– it reads and Taeyeon cocked her eyebrow at the English name- Xtyle Magazine Editor– and a set of numbers sat nicely in gold on the embossed card. Pompous, she thought.

“Don’t let the ash fall on my card,” Tiffany clicked her tongue. She reached into her wallet and pulled out a few sheets of 50,000 won daintily.

“I’ll just get this straight. Kim Jiwoong is currently partnering with us for a project and I saw what you inked on his wrist. I want a tattoo from you.” Taeyeon raised her eyebrow at Tiffany’s straightforwardness. Tiffany was still holding the notes between her fingers and she gestured with her eyes, challenging Taeyeon to receive it.

“No,” Taeyeon said firmly and turned her back to leave.

“Is this not enough for you?”

“It’s not the money. Kim Jiwoong-ssi should have told you that I do not provide this service to just anyone. And especially not to someone like you.”

‘Excuse me?” Tiffany was offended, ready to blow her top when a faint jingle was heard. There was a series of shuffles, giggling and a boisterous greeting.

“Taengoo-ya, are- oh!” Tiffany turned her nose at the blonde that skidded to a stop in front of her. “You have… a customer today? Is our appointment…?”

“Hey Yoong. Yeah it’s on.” Tiffany scowled- her pride has taken a big hit because Tiffany never takes no for an answer. Taeyeon was visibly ignoring her as she instructed Yoona to wait for her at the room. Clearing , Tiffany gathered the remainder of her dignity.

“I’ll be back again.” She announced and strutted out of the door, not without throwing Taeyeon and Yoona a withering glare.

//////////

Yoona winced a little at the prickly sensation as Taeyeon concentrated on perfecting the petals.

“Don’t move,” Taeyeon mumbled and the hum of the machine settled in the silence.

“Who was that?” Yoona asked, beaming with approval at the peony that is taking shape on her wrist. Taeyeon swiped the needle with a piece of swab and dipped the needle into a small vial of pink. She reached for a new puff from the opened box and rested it between her lips.

“Nobody,” Taeyeon furrowed her brows in concentration. Yoona shrugged and earned another warning from Taeyeon.

“Her clothes,” Yoona suddenly sighed dreamily, “They are really pretty. Did you see those sunglasses? It’s a Dolce & Gabbana. Must be expensive.”

Taeyeon chuckled a little at Yoona’s never-ending daydreams.

“She is a fashion magazine editor, of course her clothes has to be top notch.”

“I thought she was a nobody?!”

“She is a nobody.”

‘Did she give you a name card?”

“There,” Taeyeon gestured toward the little card stuck under her vials of ink, “Wait- don’t move!”

Yoona pulled out the card. Blobbed with speckles of ink, the blonde gasped and Taeyeon sturdy the wrist she was delicately working on.

Xtyle Magazine? She is famous. Famous and rich!”

“So?”

“So? Taengoo, are you hearing yourself? Someone famous, rich and pretty just wandered into your rundown shop!”

“And?” Taeyeon examined the emblem on Yoona’s wrist and wiped it gently with some wiping alcohol. “You know what to do after this.”

“Stubborn,” Yoona stuck her tongue at Taeyeon and pulled a green note out of her jeans. Taeyeon wave goodbye to the blonde who repeatedly reminded her that she has stuck the name card on the magnetic board. Taeyeon smiled, cleaned her tools and prepared to close her bookstore for the day.