Chapter Eight

The meaning of Happiness

The bell rings alerting the school that the first class of the day is going to start. People are running in the halls trying to get to their classroom. Some people bump into each other on the way. Minhyun, however, ignored the warning bell and ran opposite of Kyunghoon's classroom. Curious eyes followed him as he passed by. He came to a stop at a door that said 'nurse's office '.

His hand came in contact with the door.

"-we need to get you to a hospital... and now." He heard nurse Kahi speaking.

Minhyun's fingers froze on the door.

"Ani...I’m okay. I just fell" that was Jonghyun's voice.

"Jonghyun-ah, we both know that isn't the reason you were bleeding."

The nurse's office:

Jonghyun opened his mouth to argue.

"You need a doctor before it spreads even more."

Jonghyun frowned. He stared at the patterned floor. He took a deep breath of air. "Does it...does it really matter?" It was barely a whisper, but Kahi heard him clearly.

"Why do you say that?" Kahi did not like his question one bit.

Jonghyun held his arm, tightly. "I’m tired...teacher...really, really tired. Everything in my body hurts."

"Jonghyu--"

"Enough is enough."

~:::::~

'But I can't date you'

Step.

'Please, you don't know what you are getting into'

Walk.

'Promise you won't fall for me.'

Minhyun fell, his shouldering landing against a random wall in the school hall.

'I'm tired…really, really tired…'

Minhyun slid down, until his knees landed on the floor. He clasped a hand over his mouth and only then realized he had been crying. Warm tears landed on the edge of his hand.

'Enough is enough'

Is this what people mean when karma finds a way?

Why did he agree to this stupid game...?

His heart was hurting as if needles were poking it from all sides, as if someone was squeezing it until it stopped. Did he fall to the point it hurt…or was this guilt?

Both, perhaps?

Minhyun fingers trembled as more and more thoughts ran wild in his head. He couldn't do this anymore. It wasn't right.

~::::::~

Lunch hour

"Why didn't you tell me you had a boyfriend?" Ren smacked the dining table to get Jonghyun's attention. Jonghyun poked at the rice with his spoon. He wasn't even surprised at Ren’s sudden outburst. "And Minhyun out of all the boys in school...you are dating a kingka?"

"We aren't dating" Jonghyun mumbled. Did he see Minhyun's as a boyfriend...not really. He wasn’t even sure what to call their relationship.

"Then why are so many people talking about seeing you with him at the arcade?" Ren asked. He set on the opposite side of Jonghyun.

Jonghyun bit his spoon. “It was a onetime thing."

Ren rolled his eyes, not taking in the lie. “Why didn’t you tell me?” Ren asked a bit hurt. “I’m your friend; your only friend. Shouldn’t I be allowed to know these things?”

Jonghyun sighed, not saying anything.

Ren groaned. "I hate when you do this. Really hate it. And I don't know if I should be mad, angry, or worried… I hate you, Jonghyunnie. You meanie."

Jonghyun suddenly chuckled. He got off his seat and went around the table to hug Ren. "Okay, I will take everything; even your hate."

Ren returned the hug, squeezing him. "Good, take it all."

"I'm telling Minhyun-oppa you’re cheating on him" a random girl happened to pass by.

Ren pushed away from Jonghyun and shot off his seat. He grabbed a random object on the table. “Yah!” He threw a spoon. It barely missed the girl. “Scram.”

The girl stuck her tongue at Ren, and then she went off to join a group of females at a nearby table. They were all glaring at their direction. Ren gave them his middle finger. He flopped back on his chair. “His fangirls must be cursing you with every bean in their soul.”

Jonghyun snorted. Yeah those girls were probably even plotting something in their head.

“So…do you like him?” Ren asked, curiously.

A blush formed on Jonghyun’s cheeks at the sudden question.

A teasing smile formed on Ren’s face. He poked Jonghyun a few times, playfully. “Someone is in love.”

“Aniyo!” Jonghyun quickly objected.

“Hyung, your face just became red at the question.”

Jonghyun covered his face. He wasn’t even aware his face had become red. This isn’t good…this isn’t good…

Ren tapped his own lip. “You know…a part of me is worried, hyung,” Ren stated. “Especially because this is Minhyun we are talking about, and he could be bad. You know like he might be plotting something…but hyung, you look so cute right now.”

“I can’t fall in love,” Jonghyun mumbled. It was bad, bad for him.

“Everyone falls in love once in their life, hyung.”

Jonghyun bit his lower lip.

“It’s not bad.”

“It is.”

“Why?”

Jonghyun stared at his plate still full. He hadn’t eaten, couldn’t eat. After taking one bite, his stomach had turned wanting to spit it out. He managed to hold it back, but only barely. He glanced back at his friend Ren unsure what to tell him…what could he say; That his life was like a ticking time bomb ready to blow at any day. To protect himself and the person he loved, it was best to keep a distance, for his sake and mostly theirs.

“Because when we graduate we will go to different schools,” Jonghyun answered, forcing a smile on his face.

Ren narrowed his eyes. “You are a terrible liar, hyung.” Ren pushed away from his seat. “I’ll be back, okay. If any fangirls of his come” He took the spoon from the floor and placed it in Jonghyun’s hand. “Hit them with this.”

~::::::~

“Why’d you bring me here?” Baekho asked.

After the bell for lunch rang, Minhyun had dragged Baekho away from the cafeteria, and to some area under the  stairs. Baekho was clearly annoyed. He hated being interrupted during meal time. It was his favorite part of the day, but Minhyun ignored that annoyance. He was used to it.

“This game…this bet I want to call it off,” Minhyun began.

It took a few seconds for the information to process in Baekho’s head. Was he hearing things right? Did his best friend just call off their bet? He cleaned his ear with his pinky as if there was something blocking it.“What?” He asked, shocked.

“I don’t want to sleep with Jonghyun just so I can meet Kim Junsu. It is not right.”

“Are you serious?” Baekho demanded. “You’ve always wanted to meet Kim Junsu, and here is that chance. Why are you blowing it away?”

“Jonghyun-hyung doesn’t deserve this treatment…not from me.”

“Minhyun,” Baekho wrapped his arm around Minhyun’s shoulders. He wanted his friend to listen to him carefully. “Jonghyun is a loser…one hundred percent a loser…and our entertainment. He clearly deserves what he has coming for him.”

Minhyun shook his head, throwing all the words Baekho was throwing at him out the other ear. He pulled out of Baekho’s hold. “The bet is over… and don’t think I’ll let you hurt him either.”

Really?

Did Minhyun swallow some drug? He wasn’t the Minhyun he knew.

“Did you fall for him?” Baekho asked.

Minhyun glanced at the stair case over their heads. It was a question he had been asking himself lately too. Did he love Jonghyun? He barely knew him, and loving someone whose life was shorter than his was dangerous. It could lead to an endless pain, an aching in the soul. Was he ready to risk his happiness for that kind of love? But it was as if all his sadness, all his anger disappeared every time he heard Jonghyun’s voice.

He was…he was Minhyun’s happiness.

“That is only for me to know,” Minhyun answered.

“Listen to your-“

Our bet is over, Baekho,” Minhyun stated clearly. He took a step away from Baekho, turned away, and went toward the cafeteria. Their conversation was over.

Baekho glared at the empty hall. He punched the wall, leaving a dent.

“Bet?”

Baekho’s shoulders hunched. That voice. He quickly spun around only to see Ren staring at him, hurt written all over his eyes.

“A bet, Baekho?” Ren asked. He took a slow step toward Baekho. “Jonghyun. A. bet?”

“Ren-ah, it’s not-“

“Do you guys really have nothing better to do?” Ren continued. “What do you get out of this? Tell me, Baekho.” He was crying.

Baekho gulped. This was the last thing he wanted to see with Ren. Hurt…tears…”It…it was a joke.” He laughed, hoping to brush it off.

“Everything is a joke to you!” Ren snapped, loudly. He didn’t care if others could hear him.

Baekho reached to touch Ren’s hair, but Ren took a step back.

“If, if you guys ever hurt my friend…I will never forgive you guys,” Ren warned.

“Why do you care about him so much?” Baekho demanded, getting angry. Why was everything about Jonghyun? Why did only Ren see Jonghyun? Baekho grabbed Ren by the shoulders. “Why not me?!”

“It’s not your business,” Ren answered. He moved his shoulders, fighting to get out of Baekho’s grasp.

“Look at me, please!” Baekho begged.

“Let me go,” Ren demanded.

“No.”

“Let me-“

Baekho blocked Ren’s words by placing his lips on Ren’s. The kiss should have lasted. He wanted the kiss to last, but it ended shortly with a shove, and his face was greeted with a slap across the cheek. Ren didn’t say anything, and pushed passed Baekho with a face stained in tears. Baekho hands formed into fist, and he punched the next thing in sight: a vending machine, denting it as well.

“Jonghyun you will pay for this,” Baekho said out loud angrily.

“Ouch. What did the vending machine do to you?”

Baekho lifted his head.

Seongwoo hopped over the rails of the stairs and landed perfectly on the floor.

Baekho inhaled a breath of air, trying to ease his temper. “What do you want?”

Seongwoo took out some money. “I’m hungry…and my Juliet is hungry.”

“Who the is Juliet?”

Seongwoo placed the money in the vending machine. “That is only my secret.” He pressed some buttons on the side of the machine. “You know if you want to grab Ren’s attention, forcing him is not the way.”

Baekho rolled his eyes. He can’t believe Seongwoo actually saw that. It was embarrassing and even hurtful to be rejected by the person you cared for. “I don’t see what he sees in that, that Jonghyun.”

“If you ask me, I see nothing going on between them.” Seongwoo took out a bento box from the machine. “Mmm…smells good.”

“Don’t you see how he looks at him?”

“I think you are being delusional. Jonghyun is Ren’s best friend. They’ve been friends since middle school.”

“How do you-“

“When Ren first came to our school. Everyone, including you were picking at him for being girly. However, one student,” Seongwoo showed his index finger, holding it out like a number one. “Took him in the way he was. And that one student was Jonghyun. They’ve been close ever since. I think that is the reason he is overprotective of him too.”

“I don’t…I don’t believe you.”

Seongwoo shrugged his shoulders. “Very well…live in your delusional world…believe what you want. Chances of you winning Ren that way are short.” He took out a drink from the vending machine. “Now to return to my Juliet,” He was about to leave, but paused at the stairs. “Ah, yes…I was informed by Minhyun the game was over. Quite a spin don’t you think.”

And he was gone.

~::::::~

“Hyung, that was amazing,” Daniel said once he was given the Gatorade bottle.

“I just told him what you told me, thou Juliet,” Seongwoo explained. He took the lid off the bento, and mixed the foods together.

“When did you become good?” Daniel asked, curiously.

Seongwoo scooped some food from the bento and offered it to Daniel. “I was hoping to impress Juliet. Did I succeed?”

Daniel blushed, suddenly, taking a bite of the food being served. “Hyung…”

“Call me Romeo, dear Juliet,” Seongwoo scolded.

“I mean Romeo…”Daniel corrected.

Seongwoo again fed Daniel. He sighed “Now I guess I have to find something else interesting to do.”

Daniel tilted his head confused.

Seongwoo clapped his hands together. The answer  had popped in his head.“So while on my way here I saw teacher Kyunghoon trying to cheer a distressed teacher Kahi.”

“Um…why?”

“I heard her say one of her student’s was sick, very sick,” Seongwoo answered. “And that said student has already given up.”

Daniel rubbed his feet on the floor as he listened carefully. His tilted his head up. “Hyung, if I tell you something, will you keep it a secret.”

“You know I can keep secrets.”

Daniel swallowed a lump in his throat. He closed his eyes. “Back then when I was seven years old I had an elementary teacher named Im Yejin.”

“Ah, I had her once too,” Seongwoo nodded. “But why bring her up?”

Daniel took a deep breath. “Maybe it didn’t happen a lot when you were her student, but she ended up missing three months of school. No one knew why, and we weren’t really supposed to know, but I heard my mom speaking to dad about it. Turns out the reason she had missed so many months of school was because she had been at the hospital with her son. He kept getting sick. His immune system was very weak, so weak he wasn’t even able to fight the cold virus. It even nearly killed him.”

Seongwoo was speechless.

“I also heard her son is around our age.”

Seongwoo eyes widened. “You don’t think?”

Daniel shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know, hyung. I’ve only seen Jonghyun-hyung in middle school, and he looks fine to me. A little pale around the skin, but other than that he seems fine.”

Seongwoo placed his hand on his own forehead. “Ah, let’s not talk about this anymore. We need to practice our lines.”

“You mean you do,” Daniel corrected, but took hold of the script any way.

“Yeah, yeah,” Seongwoo placed the Bento aside. “Say Juliet-ssi…”

“Yes, Romeo?”

“Why don’t we try to get teacher Kyunghoon and teacher Kahi together?”

Daniel glanced up from the script. “Hyung, I recommend staying out of others business, and find some other entertainment.”

Seongwoo leaned over the chair, so he was really close to Daniel, so close Daniel was becoming hot. “What kind of entertainment?”

“Not that entertainment,” Daniel shoved Seongwoo away, his face flustered red.

Seongwoo crossed his arms over the chair. “Someone has a dirty mind.” He teased.

Daniel folded the script and smacked Seongwoo on the head. Really, why did he love this guy?
 

~:::::::~

After School

Ren and Jonghyun are walking together, side by side, both of them quiet for different reasons. Ren wanted to tell Jonghyun about Minhyun and this bet going on between the kingkas, but at the same time his voice was trapped. Wouldn’t telling Jonghyun hurt him? How much suffering did his friend have to go through in one day? Ren dug his nails in the straps of his bag.

“You were crying earlier,” Jonghyun suddenly said breaking the silence.

Ren shoulders hunched. “Ah…I’m just on my manly period.” He joked. He couldn’t have Jonghyun worrying about him.

“And you call me a liar,” Jonghyun teased, nudging Ren’s shoulder.

Ren lost his balance lightly. “Hey, we get them too. I have mine today.”

Jonghyun laughed.

Someone cleared their throat.

The two boys stopped, and looked over their shoulders. Minhyun was standing behind them.

“Sorry to interrupt you two,” He said.

Ren glared at him in detest. “Don’t worry. What you want?” Ren demanded.

Minhyun looked at him confused. “If I can take Jonghyun home…I have my driver waiting for me.” Minhyun pointed to the black BMW waiting at the school front.

Ren and Jonghyun looked at each other.

Ren placed his hand on Jonghyun’s shoulder. “Be careful, hyung.”

“Um…okay,” Jonghyun said. He didn’t really blame Ren for being suspicious of Minhyun. He was a kingka…and a friend of Baekho’s. Ren squeezed Jonghyun’s shoulder and left.

Minhyun offered Jonghyun his hand. Jonghyun placed his hand in Minhyun’s and their fingers intertwined. Jonghyun blushed suddenly. Minhyun’s hand was warm.

“I heard about this morning,” Minhyun said as he led Jonghyun to the car.

Jonghyun looked up at Minhyun. “Ah…it was…it was nothing.”

“It is,” Minhyun nearly snapped. Why did Jonghyun have to forgive those who hurt him? “I apologize for their craziness.” There was more to the apology, but Minhyun wasn’t ready to bring it up. He was sorry. Sorry for hating him for no reason. He used to believe Jonghyun was weak…as in he didn’t stand for his bullies, but Jonghyun wasn’t weak. He had been fighting, fighting to keep himself alive. Minhyun was sorry, sorry for making a game out of his life. A life that deserves a better ending, and he was sorry….because his popularity caused him more pain and suffering. Minhyun squeezed Jonghyun’s hand tightly.

Jonghyun smiled, slightly. “They just want to protect someone important to them.”

‘And I want to protect that someone important to me,’ Minhyun thought to himself. 

Janghoon got out of the car to open the back passenger door.

Minhyun pulled Jonghyun back before he could get into the car. Jonghyun was confused, but before he even knew it Minhyun had him in his arms in a hug.

“Minhyun,” Jonghyun began, surprised.

“Shh,” Minhyun whispered. “Let me hold you…”

Their hearts were beating unevenly. Jonghyun hesitantly moved his arms around Minhyun’s waist. He buried his face in Minhyun’s chest. Minhyun held him tighter.

‘Let me bring you happiness, Jonghyun’

-to be continued

AN: I got no words. It is what it is…yeah…um....enjoy. Also, Ren did not hear the whole conversation between Baekho and Minhyun. I just want to explain that part of the scene.

 

New Character: Choi Minho 

Age:22

Occupation: College Student/ Part timer

He is Minki's older brother and guardian

(He will be appear later in the story. Like perhaps in two or three chapters ahead. I'm introducing him now)