Chapter Three

The meaning of Happiness

Chapter Three

What could be worse than dealing with bullies? What could be worse than being used as a punching bag? The answer came to Jonghyun the next day. He came to school, dressed in his school’s uniform, with his bag over his shoulders, and a manga book in his hand reading. At first things were okay, but something was very off. He peeked over his book at the students. Everyone was avoiding him. This was normal. For some reason everyone came up with this belief that he had some deadly disease and that it was contiguous. Second, no one was trying to run away as he walked passed them: Odd. What was odder, he wasn’t being used as a punching bag.

Jonghyun dropped his book to his knees. They were staring at him, whispering amongst each other, and laughing. He became cautious. They were up to something. They all were. Jonghyun bit his tongue nervously. He moved his gaze to the ground, and kept his gaze to the floor as he made his way into the school. He kept hearing everyone laugh or giggle as he walked passed them. He was getting scared. He rushed to the classroom when his foot got caught on a wire. He heard a creek above his head. Jonghyun lifted his head. A bucket tipped over dropping gallons of honey over his face, and clothes.

There was a snap of someone’s fingers. A fan was , and joined by it was feathers blown his way. Hundreds of feathers attached themselves all over Jonghyun’s clothes, his book, bag, and face.

“Look it’s a chicken!” A female student said, loudly. People in and outside of the classroom laughed. Multiple students held out their phone capturing the scene, and placing it on their Facebook, snapchat, or Instagram.

Jonghyun was shocked. Despite being bullied almost his whole life, this is the first something like this happened to him, and he had an idea who started it. Ignoring the laughing students and cameras he glared at Minhyun and his friends. Baekho was laughing hysterically and Seongwoo was recording everything. Minhyun was smirking.

“Told you,” Minhyun mouthed.

“What is going on here?!”

Students ran to their seats, others to their classroom.

Kahi, the school’s nurse, came into the classroom. “Who did this?” She demanded when she saw the after result of the scene.

“No one, Teacher,” Kei, a female student, answered.

“Then explain why Jonghyun is covered in feathers?” Kahi crossed her arms. She glared at all the students.

“He tripped is all,” Joshua explained.

“Is that true?” Kahi asked Jonghyun, though she didn’t believe the other students. She did notice the bucket hanging above the ceiling and the fan.

Jonghyun bit his tongue. Everyone’s eyes were on him, waiting to see if he would rat them out. Jonghyun nodded, though he hated lying.

Kahi wasn’t satisfied with the answer, but she didn’t push him to admit the truth. “I want this classroom cleaned,” She snapped at the student, then turned her attention back on Jonghyun. “Come, we have spare uniforms in the office.”

-:::::-

Jonghyun was given a new uniform by the school and was permitted to use the school’s shower. He was thankful for Kahi’s kindness, because he wasn’t sure how he would explain to his mom the dirty clothes. His backpack on the other hand would be a whole other story to tell, and the book, there was no saving it from the damage. Jonghyun frowned. It was the only copy he had, and the bag he couldn’t bug his mom to buy him a new one. She already had a handful with him.

Jonghyun left the boy’s shower room. He wasn’t looking forward to going to the classroom. People would be talking about him, make him the joke of today.

“Jonghyun-ah.”

Jonghyun turned to the direction of his name.

Kahi had been waiting for him outside in the school’s hall. “You can’t let them keep getting away with things like this.”

“Sorry, I...”

“You shouldn’t be the one apologizing,” Kahi stated. “Don’t ever apologize for things that aren’t your fault.”

Jonghyun nodded as he listened to Kahi’s words, but what good would telling someone do? What could the teachers do? They never really seemed to even care that he was the target of bullies.

Kahi sighed. “Next time I catch them doing this, I won’t let them go easily.”

Jonghyun was about to protest, but Kahi continued.

“Mainly because it is you, and I promised your Umma I’d take care of you.”

-::::-

“Hyung, I don’t get why you guys are doing this,” Daniel said. It was lunch hour. Almost the whole school was in the cafeteria. Some were getting all the food, and others simply came to see the next scene unfold, and Daniel did not like it one bit. Why? All the tables were crowded, which was rare, because some students preferred to eat outside. There was another issue. The table Jonghyun and Ren would often use was missing. How they managed to remove the table out of the cafeteria was beyond questionable, but it was possible when you had money to do it.

“It is not as bad as you think,” Seongwoo slumped his arm over Daniel’s shoulder. He poked the tip of Daniel’s nose, and many butterflies flew in Daniel’s stomach from the simple touch. “It’s probably better than him getting beat up, right?”

“But why are you guys doing this?” Daniel asked.

“It’s a freaken table,” Baekho snapped. “They can go outside if there isn’t a place to sit.”

“But-“

“Or we can make them sit with us,” Seongwoo diverted his gaze to Minhyun who had been waiting for Jonghyun to make his entrance. (The boy had appeared in the middle of class with a note in his hand. Let’s say, no one noticed the goofy smile on Kyunghoon’s face when he realized who the note was from.)

Baekho liked that idea, and so did Minhyun, but then that would throw off the whole ‘I’m going to make your life crap’.

Jonghyun and Ren had entered the cafeteria. Ren was more protective this time around than before after hearing what had happened to his friend. No trays had been thrown this time around, because Minhyun had warned his school mates not to get involved. At least not yet, or the game could be ruined. The fear in Jonghyun's eyes he could see was kind of satisfying.

As the boys made their ways to the trays there was none.

“Really?” Ren demanded. “Is this some new prank or something?”

Jonghyun sighed. They don’t really need a tray for food.

They make their way to the food booth. There was no food left.

“Look, I get they don’t like us, but to starve us to death,” Ren hissed.

“We can get something from the machines,” He suggested.

“Ha,” Ren laughed to everyone. “Bet they didn’t think of that.” Ren mumbled.

Oh! But they did.

“You kidding me,” All the snacks and drinks were gone from their machines. “This is a whole new level.”

“Sorry, Minji,” Jonghyun whispered. How could he let his friend get involved in this?

“Why are you apologizing?” Ren asked, confused. “You aren’t responsible.”

But I am, Jonghyun thought.

“Uhm” Someone had cleared their voice.

Jonghyun peeked over his shoulder, and so did Ren. Minhyun was there waving in his hands some of the snacks from the machine.

“Minji,” Jonghyun narrowed his eyes at Minhyun. “Can you leave us for a second?”

“What?” Ren had questions, but Jonghyun gave him that warning stare. Ren groaned and left to the cafeteria.

“Is this what you meant by making my life a living hell?” Jonghyun demanded.

“I have more on my plate if you think this is it,” Minhyun answered. He was picking on the wrapper of one of snacks. “This is after all just the beginning, but it can stop here. If you know, date me.”

“I told you,” Jonghyun whispered, his eyes getting a bit teary. “You don’t want to date me.”

How true was that?

“Let me show you what happens to those who refuse me,” Minhyun waved for Jonghyun to follow.

Jonghyun was taken to the cafeteria near the door. He noticed Ren glaring at the missing table, their missing table. Jonghyun’s lower lip trembled. He didn’t mind being the target of bullying, but because Ren was always with him he too happened to get involved. This was his fault. He turned away from the scene, not because it was hard to see, but because he was on the verge of tears. He didn’t want anyone to see this weakness.

-::::-

“Ha, ha,” Ren laughed, sarcastically. “This is so funny.”

It wasn’t.

“If it isn’t the beautiful Princess.”

Ren’s ear twitched. No one really called him a Princess, unless they were “Baekho.”

Baekho smiled. It was nice to be recognized by someone you like. Baekho placed his arm over Ren. However, Ren did not let that arm stay too long over his shoulders. He smacked it away, and didn’t hide his detest for Baekho.

“Is this a new game or something?” Ren demanded.

“What do you mean,” Baekho pretended to be clueless. It irritated Ren. “Oh the table,” Baekho noted. “Don’t blame anyone. The school decided it was no longer needed.”

“Why?” Ren asked. “There was nothing wrong with it.”

“As if I’d know,” Baekho laughed. “But don’t look so down. You can join us if you like.”

Ren snorted, and rolled his eyes. “No thanks.”

Baekho felt a stab to his chest. “But where else are you going to sit?”

Ren took a quick glance toward the window as if the answer was obvious. He then shoved his way passed the crowded cafeteria, almost bumped into his distressed friend on the way out, but caught his wrist and glared at the other kingka who was with Jonghyun.

“Whatever game you guys are playing, don’t think you will win,” He said to Minhyun. He then left tugging Jonghyun along.

They ended up in Kahi’s office. Kahi, after hearing what had happened, had bought the two boys something to eat. Ren had thanked the school nurse, and began eating. (He had been hungry since the morning). On the other hand Jonghyun was quiet and picking on the food with his chopsticks.

“Jonghyun-ah, you have to eat,” Kahi scolded the young student.

“Sorry,” Jonghyun whispered, only to earn a smack on the head by Ren.

“I’ll be rich for every sorry you say,” Ren said.

“So who do you think is behind this?” Kahi asked. She wasn’t going to let the bullies get away with this.

“We can’t tell you, teacher,” Ren answered.

“This is why bullies get away with things,” Kahi argued. “Because the two of you never say a word to the teachers, when it is our job to protect you.”

“We can handle it,” Ren stated.

“Even if you can, you shouldn’t be fighting this alone.”

“We aren’t alone,” Ren wrapped his arm around Jonghyun’s. He laid his head on the boy’s shoulder. “We have each other.”

Kahi frowned not liking the answer. It was two kids battling the whole school. That did not seem like a fair fight.

Jonghyun nibbled on a piece of carrot as he thought of Ren’s answer only to feel down. Even if Ren was willing to fight the battle with him, Jonghyun did not want him getting hurt. He was his only friend, his best friend, and as friends and as the older one he should be the one protecting him.

-:::::-

The Next School Day

Baekho’s laugh could be heard from the school’s hall. He had been glued to his phone ever since yesterday. Seongwoo had peeked over Baekho’s shoulder, curious over what had his friend laughing so much. It was a naver video of Jonghyun being covered in honey and feathers. There were over millions of views, and though some people opposed of the incident, many found it funny and called Jonghyun a chicken.  Jonghyun had not only become a viral video; he was a meme all over the internet.

Minhyun tapped his finger on his chin. What did it take to make Jonghyun give in and finally agree to be his? He basically made him the joke of the world. What more did it take?

Speaking of which, Jonghyun had arrived to the class. Baekho imitated a chicken at the sight of him, causing the whole class to laugh, and even copy him. Jonghyun placed his hood on and hid his face from everyone.

 “Look who became a celebrity in one day,” Baekho waved his phone in order for Jonghyun to see the video.

Jonghyun ignored him and the others. He approached the kingkas, and stopped near Minhyun’s desk.

“May I help you?” Minhyun asked.

Jonghyun swallowed. “I…may we talk.”

-::::-

The Secret Corner

“Are you finally giving in?” Minhyun asked. He had his shoulder pressed to the wall and his hands in his pocket.

At first Jonghyun didn’t say anything. It felt like minutes when there was no respond, making Minhyun grow impatient.

“It is only one date, right?” Jonghyun asked.

“It depends,” Minhyun answered. It depended if he was able to get Jonghyun on his bed in one date, but he wasn’t going to say that out loud. He already made things rough for him.

Jonghyun took a deep breath. “Then promise me one thing.”

“What is that promise?”

Jonghyun looked into Minhyun’s eyes. “You won’t fall for me.”

-to be continued

AN: Well I'm not sure anymore. I will edit any mistakes later