Chapter Five

The meaning of Happiness

A/N: Hello, how is everyone doing? I want to say thank you so much for subscribing and giving the story a chance. Also, I am sorry for not updating sooner, work has been crazy. Anyway, time to jump into the story.

Chapter Five

From Minhyun: Let’s play a game.

To Minhyun: A game?

From Minhyun: Yes. Ever heard of twenty questions?

Jonghyun's fingers paused on the keypad of the phone. He tried recalling a game called Twenty Questions from his memory. As a proud gamer he thought he should know the game, but to his disappointment he didn't. Jonghyun was about to respond when suddenly a heavy arm landed over his shoulders.

"Well if it isn't Kim Jonghyun?"

"B-baekho," Jonghyun gulped startled.

Baekho chuckled, but his laugh soon disappeared when he noticed the phone in Jonghyun's hand. "What is this?" He snatched the phone from Jonghyun. “Well, well looks like we have a thief.”

"P-please give it back," Jonghyun pleaded in a voice he hoped would be demanding, but to his disappointment wasn’t even close. Jonghyun cursed at himself for this weakness. He reached to take the phone from Baekho. Baekho moved the phone away from his reach.

"Why?" Baekho's grip tightened on Jonghyun's shoulder. It hurt. "So you can run off with someone’s phone?”

"I--"

"Hey,” The two boys had turned. Ren was there with his arms crossed and annoyed. “Don’t you ever get tired of picking on others?” He asked Baekho. He did his best to appear intimidating.

“Minji.” “Ren.” Jonghyun and Baekho spoke.

“Well, what are you waiting for, Baekho?” Ren demanded. He was so tempted to punch the bigger male. “Let my friend go or I will do something you will regret?”

Baekho dropped his hold on Jonghyun. There was a long pause, and then he was laughing. Ren became angrier. This time Baekho's focus was on Ren. He moved so there was a mere inch between him and the other boy. “Regret? Me?” He asked. “How? With these arms of yours?” He grabbed Ren’s arm. Baekho pulled and Ren tumbled from the force. Oh! But Ren had no intention of showing any reaction from the other’s strength.

“Baekho,” Jonghyun tried to intervene. “Keep your hands off Minji, please. He, he isn’t doing anything wrong.”

“You,” Baekho narrowed his eyes at Jonghyun (like an angry tiger). Jonghyun took a step away from him. How he wished he could protect Ren. But here he was…weak…useless. “Stay out of this.”

“And you!” Ren dug his nails in Baekho’s hand. “Never speak to my friend that way!”

A few wandering students stopped on their tracks to capture the scene.

Baekho peeked at his injured hand. It didn’t hurt, and he was laughing again. “You are like an angry kitten.”

“Angry kitten?!” Ren hissed. He was so ready to throw it down.

“Awe, aren’t the two of you cute.” Ong had appeared.

“Hyung,” It so happened Daniel was with him, and not proud of the scene in front of him.

And…

“That is enough, Dongho” Minhyun snatched the cell phone from Baekho’s hand. Jonghyun was stunned. He hadn’t seen or heard the others approach. "Here," Minhyun placed the phone in Jonghyun's hand. “leave, and take your friend with you.”

Speechless and not disobeying, Jonghyun took hold of Ren’s hand, and from the distraction was able to take him away from Baekho. The two left, leaving behind the Kingkas and Daniel.

“Oh, come on I was only teasing him,” Baekho argued.

“It looked more like you were harassing them, hyung,” Daniel argued.

“He is only trying to get Ren’s attention,” Ong placed his elbow over Daniel’s shoulder. “The wrong way.”

“What?!” Baekho asked dumbfound. “Why would I want to get that girly boy’s attention?”

“Because you like him, duh” Ong answered the obvious.

Minhyun ignored his friends’ conversation. He already knew Baekho had a thing for Jonghyun’s friend. However, Baekho was too stubborn to admit it to his friends. Minhyun pulled out his cell phone waiting for Jonghyun’s response. There was none, yet. He placed the phone back in his pocket, and left the others.

-:::::-

“That Jerk!” Ren pulled at his hair. He was so frustrated, so annoyed, so angry. “Me! An angry kitten?!” Ren hit his desk. If only the desk could be Baekho’s face.

“Sorry,” Jonghyun whispered. It was his fault.

Ren turned his anger to Jonghyun. “And you?! Why didn’t you tell me you had a phone?”

Jonghyun lowered his head, still apologetic.

“And an expensive one?”

“I-it, it was…a gift,” Jonghyun answered.

“A gift? From whom?”

Jonghyun wasn’t sure what to say. He hadn’t told Ren much about Minhyun; although Ren already knew the kingka was up to no good. However, Jonghyun did not want to get Ren involved more than he already was. It was his problem and he had to deal with this on his own, and to do whatever in his power to keep Minhyun at a far distance. The silence continued, until Ren broke it with a long sigh. He knew this quietness only meant Jonghyun had no intentions of answering, and the best thing to do was not to push him.

“Can I at least have your number,” Ren offered his phone.

Jonghyun smiled. He was so happy to have a friend like Ren. His took Ren’s phone and tapped in his number.

Ren placed his elbow over his desk, and his hand under his chin. Hyung, I know something is going on. Whatever they are up too…

The Kingkas had entered the classroom. Ren kept his eyes on the tallest.

I won’t let them succeed, Ren continued.

Mid School Session

“Admiral Yi Sun sin is known as one of Korea’s greatest-“

Bizz Bizz

Jonghyun’s head almost tumbled to the desk.

“Hyung, I’m sure that is your phone,” Ren whispered, pointing to Jonghyun’s bag.

“What?” Jonghyun blinked a few times. He was so zoned out from the lecture he wasn’t even aware of the phone. He totally forgot he even had one.

“Hyung,” Ren mumbled.

“I can’t be texting in class though, Minji,” Jonghyun said rubbed his sleep eyes.

“Teacher Hodong isn’t even looking this way,” Ren informed.

Jonghyun peeked at the teacher, and indeed he had been too caught up in his lecture and power slides. Teacher Hodong wasn’t even paying any notice to the multiple students with their phones, but Jonghyun wasn’t one of those students, unless he was reading a really, really good manga book. The phone buzzed once more pulling Jonghyun’s attention away from the teacher. Ren rolled his eyes, removed the phone from Jonghyun’s bag, and placed it over Jonghyun’s desk.

“I’m curious who it is,” Ren admitted.

Jonghyun’s finger started to tremble. He pretty much knew who it was. He pressed the phone’s button, and the text was already waiting for a response. Even though Ren said he was curious about the person, he turned his focus on the teacher. Teacher Hodong didn’t even bother to look their way.

From Minhyun: Yah are you just going to make me wait? Or did you forget?

Jonghyun bit his lower lip, he probably did forget.

To Minhyun: I don’t know the game.

From Minhyun: It is a simple game. The rules vary depending on the players.

To Minhyun: What are the rules?

From Minhyun: We each ask each other twenty questions, then we answer these questions, but if you don’t feel like answering simply say: No comment or No answer. Simple?

It was indeed a simple game, and one Jonghyun wasn’t fond of. If he were to play this game he could slip…and then…and then his secret could be revealed. He didn’t want anyone to know. He glanced at Ren. Ren had fallen asleep from the boring lecture. Jonghyun smiled sadly, not even Ren knew his true secret.

Minji-ah, I am sorry, Jonghyun thought.

To Minhyun: I…don’t want to play.

From Minhyun: Why? Are you scared to slip?

Bingo!

To Minhyun: I’M NOT GOING TO SLIP

-:::::-

Minhyun chuckled, placing his hand over his mouth to hide the smile.

To Onibugi: Then play.

From Onibugi: You promise you won’t fall for me, right?

Minhyun rolled his eyes.

To Onibugi: I give you credit for confidence.

From Onibugi: it…it’s not that.

Minhyun nodded to himself, of course not.

To Onibugi: Then let me start this game.

There was no response. Minhyun didn’t wait. He would start with something simple in the hopes to ease Jonghyun into the game.

What is your name?

…Kim Jonghyun…? Yours?

To Onibugi: Hwang Minhyun. See, this game is easy.

-:::::-

Jonghyun continued to bite his tongue. It didn’t seem like a dangerous game. He peeked over his shoulder to Minhyun’s direction. Their eyes had met. It was almost noon and the sunlight happened to be in the perfect spot, tracing every feature of Minhyun’s face, his lips, his eyes. Jonghyun turned his attention away. His heart was beating uncontrollable. It was hard not to find Minhyun attractive…

To Minhyun: Is it your turn?

From Minhyun: When is your birthday?

To Minhyun: June 8th

From Minhyun: I see…hyung

So Minhyun was younger than him.

Your turn

Why do you want to date me?

When it was clear Minhyun showed no interest.

From Minhyun: No Comment

Jonghyun sighed. He already hated this game.

Any siblings?

No…and you?

I have one older sister.

Is she pretty?

Jonghyun couldn’t help being curious. Minhyun was already handsome in every way; his sister must be a goddess.

-::::::-

Minhyun smirked. He leaned over the window.

To Onibugi: She is married.

From Onibugi: That is not an answer

Minhyun shook his head,and fighting back his laugh.

To Onibugi: So you know that question counts.

He saw Jonghyun bump his head on the desk. He was one interesting person, he had to admit.

To Onibugi: Meet me outside the school this Sunday before noon.

Why?

You did not forget our date now did you?

Does your question count?

No, because I make the rules.

-:::::-

Days had passed after the Twenty Questions game started. What Jonghyun had learned about Minhyun was that he was only two months younger than him, and much taller than he had imagined. Minhyun’s sister was married to some famous rapper named Aron from the States, which Jonghyun had to admit was pretty cool. He had to look up this rapper’s music one day. Minhyun’s mother was a famous fashion designer, but for some reason Minhyun didn’t seem to fond of her, and worse he seemed to dislike his father: A lot. He had the same interest as Jonghyun, well almost, and he did modeling on the side, and there was still so much to learn.

One thing that crossed Jonghyun’s mind as he learned more about Minhyun was the idea of being friends. They could be…

“HYUNG!” Hyunbin burst into the apartment. 

“Hyunbin,” Jonghyun stood up from the couch with his phone in hand.

Hyunbin jumped on Jonghyun giving him a big squeeze.

Jonghyun patted Hyunbin’s back. “Hi.”

“I need help, hyung.”

“Math?” Jonghyun guessed.

“Biology.”

“Biology?”

“It’s about the blood,” Hyunbin explained as he led Jonghyun to the bedroom. “I thought you might know because you know…”

Jonghyun paused on his steps, a lump forming in his throat.

He couldn’t be friends with Minhyun.

“They are teaching that in middle school?” Jonghyun asked in disbelief.

Hyunbin turned to face Jonghyun. “Hyung, you sound afraid. Didn’t they say it was gone?”

Jonghyun didn’t say anything. He walked passed Hyunbin and sat on the bed. Hyunbin followed after and sat on the chair facing his hyung.

“It’s not back is it, hyung?” Hyunbin continued.

“I don’t know,” Jonghyun whispered. His focus was on the betta swimming around in its tank. His lower lip was trembling.

“Hyung, you know you aren’t a good liar,” Hyunbin mumbled. He had noted something. “You are wearing them again.”

“Wearing what?” Jonghyun asked, pretending to be clueless.

“The sleeves,” Hyunbin explained. He tugged at the sleeves of Jonghyun’s shirt. They were long, covering his arms, but there was a slight bruise sneaking out of the sleeves. Jonghyun pulled his arm away and covered his arms as if he were venerable.

Bizz Bizz

From Minhyun: This Sunday, do not forget.

  • To be continued