Chapter One

The meaning of Happiness

AN: Oh my god? :O Wow! So many subscribers! ;__; The story hasn’t even started yet. You guys are amazing, but I can’t guarantee this fanfiction will be good, though I hope you guys will enjoy. Also, thank you for the comments. .

Chapter One

There is always that one kid who stands from the crowd. In this case, that kid was Kim Jonghyun. He was small, thin, and he had this habit of wearing sweaters even when it was burning outside. To everyone Jonghyun was odd, strange; he simply did not fit the norms of today. In other words he was an all-out loser. Jonghyun became the perfect target for those who needed a punching bag, and the target for gossip. However, this kid, this loser tended to smile despite all this… It annoyed people, annoyed the kingkas, and it especially annoyed Hwang Minhyun. Who smiled after getting beat up? Who smiled when they were the target of rumors? Minhyun was positive 99 percent of those rumors were false.

“Three hundred thousand won,” Baekho interrupted.

Minhyun stripped the headphone from his ears and stared questioningly at his friend Baekho. Baekho leaned over his desk; he placed his hands over the wood, and held his hands together. He had this smile which to everyone’s knowledge meant trouble. Seongwoo, who happened to be sitting behind Baekho, leaned forward to hear Baekho’s “new” game.

“For?” Minhyun asked.

“Three hundred thousand won to get that,” He pointed with his chin to the direction of Jonghyun “In your bed.”

Seongwoo placed a hand over his mouth and stared horridly at his friends. “Oh, that is like having a death wish.”

“For three hundred thousand?” Minhyun questioned. “How cheap do you think I am?”

Three hundred thousand won?! To have that weirdo on his bed?! No way! Plus, Minhyun wasn’t into boys, and if he were, that loser would be the last person to share it with him.

“Okay, okay, not a good enough deal,” Baekho rubbed his chin as if thinking.

“Everyone! Attention back to the front,” Mr. Min Kyunghoon smacked his ruler on his desk. For a brief minute the class fell quiet, just for a brief minute. “Now then who is willing to correct this sentence on the board?”

No one volunteered. It was English.

“No volunteers,” Kyunghoon lifted his clipboard. “Guess I will have to pick…” he gazed at his students, hoping the clipboard would at least intimidate them, but still no one dared. “Very well then...hm…Kim Jonghyun.”

“This is going to be good,” Baekho whispered, he chuckled quietly.

Many of the students reverted their gaze to Jonghyun. Jonghyun who set near the front stood from his desk. As he approached the board a random foot caught his leg making him trip. Jonghyun tumbled toward the teacher’s desk. He quickly caught himself. Many students laughed at the scene, and crumbled papers were thrown to his head. Minhyun expect some reaction from Jonghyun, for him to at least mention a word to the teacher who hadn’t noticed, or pretended not to notice the bullying, but to his disappointment Jonghyun only dusted his pants, and corrected the mistake on the board as if nothing had happened.

“Loser,” Baekho coughed.

-:::::-

It should have bothered him. It should have as the other students shoved him in the school’s halls, and his manga book (which had slipped from his hands) was used as a stepping stone to all the passersby. Jonghyun closed his eyes, counted in his head waiting for it to end. It would end, he knew it would, he only needed to wait. A random student spat on his head, and though Jonghyun was tempted to reach over and remove the spit he didn’t.

It will be over; it will be over, Jonghyun thought, repeatingly.

“Yah! How dare you guys just walk and ignore a helpless person!”

That voice…

“Minji,” Jonghyun whispered, a smile forming on his lips at the familiar sound.

“Run, it’s the gay one!” Some students shouted, he heard footsteps of them running away as Ren made his way.

Ren glared deadly at the other students hoping his stare would scare them off. “At least I am pretty, stupid people,” Ren took hold of the manga book on the ground. Its pages were tattered and torn. “Don’t they know how much manga books are?” He brushed his hand over the cover hoping to revive its damage, although no luck.

Jonghyun only smiled more. He pushed himself from the ground, and took the book from Ren. “Minji, it’s okay. I have another at home.”

“Two books, hyung?” Ren said surprised. “You must be rich.”

Jonghyun hugged the book to his chest. He wasn’t the richest boy in school; in fact he was far from it. His mother was a teacher at an elementary school. She barely made enough to support her son and herself, and his father…well let’s keep that story for another chapter. “I’m hungry, Minji.”

“Okay, okay, let’s go grab something to eat,” Ren wrapped his arm around Jonghyun’s and led him to the cafeteria. Ren ignored the students who shouted words like “gay” and “loser". Ren didn’t deny his uality. He never really favored females. They were mean to him, simply because he was far prettier than the average male, and his features were similiar to that of a girl. The males, they were no better, but he couldn't help favoring them more.

-:::::-

“Oh gosh, they are here, quick grab the food before it is poisoned,” A male student ran toward the school’s food booth with a tray in his hand. The kingkas weren’t far behind him. They too were waiting for their food, despite many girls and some boys fighting amongst each other to give their homemade meals to them. Minhyun ignored the fangirls and fanboys by listening to his music. He didn’t dare courage them.

“Really, Jaehwan?” A pink haired boy scolded the student.

“What?” Jaehwan peeked over his shoulder to the pink haired boy. “I don’t want my food touched by two losers.”

“Don’t pay any mind to him, Daniel,” Seongwoo placed his hand over the pink haired boy’s shoulder.

“O-ong-h-hyung,” Daniel blushed lightly.

“Just go out already,” Baekho teased.

“Why would we go out?” Seongwoo questioned, confused.

“One sided love, so sad,” Baekho whispered, and shook his head side to side.

Daniel pouted. Could Baekho Hyung be right?

He could be. For starters, Ong Seongwoo was the second most 'I want to be my boyfriend' boy in their school. Hwang Minhyun was number one, but to Daniel Seongwoo had that charm. He was funny, handsome, at times fascinating, and totally way out of his league. As for Daniel; he was the opposite of handsome. Not once had anyone tempted to pick him as a date. They thought he was too ‘fat’ or he wasn’t their ‘type’. Why were ‘types’ even made?

“Here,” A small bowl filled with rice appeared on his tray. “Got you the last one.” Seongwoo smiled, and then he was gone, joining his friends at the kingka’s table.

Daniel would have followed, but he kept a small distance from them, and for reasons of his owns.

He saw Jonghyun and Ren enter the cafeteria arm and arm. Daniel smiled ‘Cute’, but the smile disappeared soon after a tray was thrown on Jonghyun’s head. Jonghyun stood still, his eyes closed; something Daniel noticed when he saw the others bully the boy. Ren threw the tray at the bully, cursed him in multiple languages, before helping his friend move toward the line. Daniel hated bullies. What did they have against Jonghyun-hyung? He never understood. Daniel would have talked to Jonghyun, get to know him, but he was also a coward. Bullies only made life worse.

-::::::-

“Minhyun-Oppa, I made this bulgogi,” A female placed a lunch box in front of Minhyun.

“Hey,” Baekho shoved the lunch box off the table. “This is the kingka’s table. Why you here?”

The girl suddenly felt nervous and scared under Baekho annoyed stare. Minhyun pretended not to notice and only blasted the volume of his music. The girl bowed apologetically, took hold of her lunch box, and ran off. Baekho rolled his eyes. No one was allowed at their table, unless they were a kingka, like him. However, maybe this once he was willing to allow the table to be used by a non-kingka. He watched as Ren and Jonghyun made their way through the food choices. Ren placed multiple bowls filled with food on Jonghyun’s tray. Baekho glared at the scene.

“He doesn’t even eat everything,” Baekho grumbled.

“Who?” Seongwoo asked.

“No one,” Baekho answered. “Hey, Minhyun.” Baekho nudged Minhyun’s leg with his foot.

Minhyun pulled the headphones off.

“How about this, three hundred thousand won,” Baekho began

“I told you already, I’m not--“

“And,” Baekho continued, not allowing Minhyun to complete his rejection. “I get you a pass to see Kim Junsu, personally.”

“No way is that possible,” Minhyun said. How could Baekho get him a pass to see one of his ideal idols? It wasn’t possible. Kim Junsu was unreachable.

“Oh, let’s say, my parents are good friends with the idol.”

Minhyun’s finger twitched on his IPod. Baekho did have the possibility to get in contact with idols, though Minhyun’s parents did too, but with Baekho the chances were higher. Baekho’s family owned five star hotels all over the country. Their best ones were on Jeju Island. There were hundreds of people wrestling to get a room in their hotels, and a lot of them were idols too. But…

But to share his bed with that weirdo?

Minhyun watched as Ren and Jonghyun sat near the dumpster. The table was covered in trash. It was the kind of table no one dared to sit at. The two were talking. It appeared like they had no care to those around them. Jonghyun would smile, laugh, and then eat something from his plate. Minhyun thought it was cute.

Wait.

Cute?

Minhyun shook his head. There is no way Jonghyun was cute. He looked like a…like a freaken dinosaur. But was it worth getting close to him to meet Kim Junsu?

To tempt Minhyun more, Baekho took hold of the boy’s IPod, placed the headphones back over Minhyun’s ears, and played one of TVXQs songs.

Seongwoo burst into laughter, simply because it was funny.

“D-deal,” Minhyun said without a second thought.

AN: I honestly don't know how the first chapter turned out. My writing is not the best. I really hate my style. Okay, so I want to apologize over Baekho's character, and I was even debating on changing Baekho's character for someone else (after hearing the tragic news about his father), but decided to keep it for important reasons that will follow the story later. Well...I hope you guys enjoyed. Until next chapter. I hope none of you take some of the words like 'loser' or 'gay' to offense. It just for the story, and I kind of know how bullies are...

I want to explain: Ren's name is Minki, but his groupmates call him Minji.