Chapter Two

The meaning of Happiness

AN: Subscribers keep coming, wow…it’s just…Thank you everyone.

Chapter Two

To get someone in bed you had to take them on a date, right? This should be easy. Minhyun was all-out perfect boyfriend material. He was good looking, tall, and his voice was y. There was no way he could fail. All he had to do was lead Jonghyun on, make him feel special, and have Jonghyun give himself willingly. Afterwards, after he had him in his web the game would be over, and he would finally get to meet Kim Junsu. Yes, the plan was perfect!

The final bell rang, informing students and teachers the school day was over. It was late, almost five. The sun was barely setting, giving out beautiful colors of orange red in the sky. Lights from nearby buildings lit up the streets and sidewalks. Students hovered over the hallways, rushing their way to leave the school. A few students stayed in their classroom like Ren and Jonghyun.

“Good luck,” Baekho placed his hand on Minhyun’s shoulder before leaving the class with Seongwoo.

Minhyun sighed, loudly. He could do this. He placed his iPod in his pocket, stood up from his desk, and approached the two boys across the classroom.

“I wanted to get it, but my Umma said it’s too expensive,” He heard Ren say to Jonghyun.

Jonghyun chuckled. “Minji, Gucci products are expensive.”

“B-but it-it was a beautiful bag,” Ren cried.

Jonghyun bumped his head onto the desk, laughing.

Ren crossed his arms. He should have been annoyed, at least Minhyun thought he should, but Ren was only smiling at the other boy. Then Minhyun paused in his steps. What if they were dating?

“Yah, hyung,” Ren pretended to be upset. “I-“that was when Ren noticed Minhyun not to far from them. This was rare. Minhyun rarely came near the front. He often used the back door to enter or leave the classroom. Ren was suspicious. He tapped Jonghyun on the shoulder; the boy glanced at him confused. Ren pointed over his shoulder. Jonghyun turned his head. The laughter died. Why was Minhyun standing near them?

Minhyun realized the attention was now on him. His heart kind of froze. This was way too embarrassing, but he couldn’t back out now. He placed his hands in his pocket, did he best to look charming. “Jonghyun,” Minhyun began. “Come. I want to talk to you.”

Jonghyun lifted an eyebrow, confused. Minhyun talk to him? “Um…”

“Don’t worry, it is not a trap,” Minhyun promised.

Jonghyun looked to Ren to help  him in this situation.

Ren placed his hand under his chin, and his elbow over his desk. “If you need to talk to Jonghyun-hyung, you can talk to him here.” He picked through his nails trying to seem casual as he spoke to Minhyun.

Minhyun narrowed his eyes, disappointed. “I will get you that Gucci bag if you let me talk to your friend. Alone.”

Ren stomped his foot on the ground, smacked his hand on the desk, and glared deadly at Minhyun. He was a bit scary. “I am not going to—“

“Minji,” Jonghyun took hold of Ren’s hand. “It’s okay. You want that bag, right?”

“But, hyung,” Ren protested. “He probably plans to beat you up or something.”

“I already told you I have no intention of hurting him.” Minhyun said.

Ren took a deep breath to calm his temper. He took hold of his bag, tossed it over his shoulders, bid his friend farewell, and left the classroom. Despite Ren leaving, the class wasn’t completely empty. A few others students had stayed, and had seen everything. They were curious, because this was Minhyun. What did this guy want with Jonghyun? It was so out of place.

“Let’s go somewhere else,” Minhyun said. He hated the attention they were getting.

Jonghyun was scared, nervous. This was Minhyun one of the kingkas of their school. The kingkas had a bad reputation for being bullies. There was a possibility Minhyun was planning to lead him to the lockers, where Baekho and Seongwoo could be waiting to jump him. The idea scared him. Jonghyun dug his fingers onto the wood of his desk. It was as if the desk was his only shield.

“Yah! You want your friend to get that bag don’t you?” Minhyun demanded, getting annoyed. How dared he make him wait.

Jonghyun mumbled apologetically. He followed Minhyun out of the classroom. He was led into the hall, away from curious eyes, down the stairs, outside, and somewhere in the corner of the school. It was a perfect spot for sharing secrets, confessing, and worse getting jumped, but to Jonghyun’s relief there were no other kingkas waiting for him. Minhyun crossed his arms and leaned against the school’s wall. He gave Jonghyun one good stare, checking out every feature the boy’s clothes would allow him to see. He definitely wasn’t his type: girl or boy, not his type.

“Aren’t you hot wearing that sweater?” Minhyun asked, curiously.

Jonghyun shook his head. “Aniyo.”

I get hot just looking at it, Minhyun thought. “I’m sure you will get bullied less if you stop wearing sweaters in such weather.”

“I get bullied with or without it,” Jonghyun mumbled.

“What a shame. You are cute, but you would be cuter without it.”

Suspiciousness rising again, Jonghyun lifted his chin, so his eyes were meeting Minhyun. “Why did you want to see me?”

“Ah,” Minhyun ran his fingers through his own hair, and smiled his best smile. “Jonghyun, I couldn’t help noticing how cute you are. It, it has got me liking you.”

More Suspiciousness.

“What do you think of going out with me?”

There was no answer, no jump of joy. Most would be jumping wouldn’t they?

Jonghyun turned his gaze to the ground. His fingers were slightly trembling. “Thanks for finding me cute,” Jonghyun began. “B-besides Ren, my mom, and neighbor no one has ever told me I am cute.”

Because you aren’t, Minhyun thought.

“But I can’t go out with you.”

Minhyun’s heart just dropped.

What?!

Was he just rejected?

He?! Minhyun, rejected?

Didn’t Jonghyun understand how special he was to even get someone like him: Minhyun, to ask him on a date? “Do you not understand how lucky you are?” Minhyun demanded moving away from the wall.

 “I’m sorry,” Jonghyun bowed. “I have to go.” He quickly ran, and disappeared somewhere across the school’s gate. Minhyun was in disbelief. He was just rejected…rejected by a nobody. This was embarrassing, humiliating. Who did Jonghyun think he was?  Was he blind or something? Some nerve. Minhyun kicked the ground angrily. This wasn’t supposed to happen. This should have been the easiest thing ever. 

-::::-

8:00PM: Jonghyun’s room

There is a beautiful blue betta fish swimming around its 2 gallon tank. Its tank was resting on top of a small dresser near Jonghyun’s bed. The betta would turn, then swirl as if there was no care in the world. Jonghyun placed his finger on the tank’s glass. He moved his finger and the betta followed its guide. Jonghyun smiled, slightly. He pulled his hand back, held it into a fist, and hugged it to his chest. His heart was aching a little. It was the first someone told him he was cute. It made him happy to be called something other than a freak or dinosaur, even if it came from someone like Minhyun. Minhyun wasn’t the worst bully amongst his friends. He didn’t seem bad, still

 “It is strange, don’t you think?” He asked the betta. “Someone like him attracted to me?”

“Jonghyunnie!”

Jonghyun jumped from his bed, a bit startled.

“Hyunbin is here!”

“Oh…um…give me a second” Jonghyun ran in circles in his room. He tossed his school uniform into the closet, quickly fixed his bed, and pushed the door open.

“HYUNG!!!!” Jonghyun was tackled into a bear hug.

“Hyunbinne,” Jonghyun tumbled backward, falling almost to the ground.

“Hyunbin,” Yejin scolded the boy. Her hands were on her hips. “Remember, my son isn’t strong enough to support your weight.”

“Umma,” Hyunbin turned to stare at the woman standing outside the room without letting go of Jonghyun. She was Jonghyun’s mom, and to Hyunbin she was like a mother. Jonghyun wrestled to get out of Hyunbin’s hold without much success. “I haven’t seen him all day today. You know how much I miss him.”

“You saw him yesterday, and the day before,” Yejin stated.                                       

“I can still miss him,” Hyunbin mumbled, he pulled Jonghyun closer.

Yejin pulled a towel from her apron. She smacked the boy’s rear end. Hyunbin rubbed his . It didn’t hurt, but it deserved attention.

“Jonghyun-ah,” Yejin spoke to her son. “Are you hungry?”

Jonghyun shook his head. “I’m full, Umma.”

Yejin frowned at her son’s answer. She placed a hand on his forehead, and sighed. “Hyunbin,” She turned to the other boy. “You have until ten.” Then she went to the kitchen.

 “Hyung, you need to eat more,” Hyunbin said, but he was ignored. Hyunbin and Jonghyun went further into the room. Hyunbin sat on a chair near Jonghyun’s desk, dropped his bag, and pulled out a textbook and a notebook and placed them on the desk. Jonghyun sat on his bed that was next to the desk. He leaned over Hyunbin’s shoulder to check the textbook.

“Math again?” Jonghyun asked.

“It keeps getting hard, hyung,” Hyunbin protested, as he flipped the textbook to the page. “I can’t stand it.”

Jonghyun chuckled. “Okay, let’s see what you need help in.”

So Jonghyun’s night was spent helping Hyunbin with his math. The whole incident with Minhyun forgotten. It wasn’t something he found necessary to stress about.

-:::::-

The next day: Pledis High School

Baekho was laughing. Seongwoo was laughing. This was just humiliating. Music couldn’t help fix it. Minhyun had the urge to hide in a box, but he was too big for boxes. Why did the heavens curse him with height? Why? Oh Why?

“He rejected, he rejected you,” Baekho said. He was having difficulty catching his breath from all the laughter. “That is some confidence."

Minhyun bumped his head on the school’s window. Couldn’t the world swallow him whole or something?

“Maybe he isn’t gay,” Seongwoo added.

“No way, he has to be gay,” Baekho objected. He had to be, since he was rarely seen around girls, and he was always with Ren who was gay. Didn't that make it obvious?

“If he is, then you have to try another method,” Seongwoo suggested.

“What other method?” Minhyun asked, hopelessly. There could be no other method.

“I know this is a bad idea, but you might have to force him.”

Minhyun gave Seongwoo a horrid stare. “That will stain my family’s name.”

“Very terrible idea, indeed,” Baekho agreed. “But you can force him to date you. Threaten him; make his life a living hell, until he agrees to date you. Then once he agrees, seduce him until he is willing.”

“So evil,” Seongwoo whispered. “It’s perfect.”

A bird passed through the window, making a land on one of the school’s trees. It flapped its wings, and picked on its feathers. Minhyun gazed at the bird as he thought of Baekho’s ideas.   He did desire revenge for the humiliation. He wanted to make Jonghyun pay, and he wanted to make him regret his mistake. At that moment he saw through the window’s reflection Jonghyun walking passed them, but before he could pass them completely Minhyun grabbed his arm. Jonghyun froze like a frightened deer in the headlights. He was led away from the crowd, and taken to the same location from yesterday. Jonghyun was pushed against the wall, and got trapped between Minhyun’s arms.

“M-minhyun,” Jonghyun gasped.

“Go out with me,” Minhyun ordered.

Jonghyun frowned. “Minhyun…I…”

“If you don’t I will make things much worse than they are now,” Minhyun hated this method, but it had to work.

“Minhyun, you don’t know what you are getting into.” Jonghyun mumbled, worriedly.

Minhyun laughed unpleasantly. Was this guy for real? Did he think he was that great? He dropped his arms, and took a step back. “Very well, you’ve been warned.”

Minhyun left, leaving a shocked Jonghyun.

Jonghyun had a bad feeling about this…for him and for Minhyun.

AN: To answer a comment from earlier I am going to have Jonghyun call Minki: Minji. I am not sure how to feel about this chapter (my story seems to take a direction for mature which I hope not). I want to pull it into the direction to match the meaning of the title. Please leave some comments and wish me luck on the next chapter. Until then…