Chapter Seven

The meaning of Happiness

New characters:

Kim Sungryung

(please ignore the marie claire, i needed a picture to represent her status in the story)

Age: 46

Occupation: Designer/ model 

She is Minhyun's mother. 

Hwang Jungmin 

Age: 43

Occupation: NA

Minhyun's father

Chapter Seven

As soon as Janghoon arrived to the Mansion, Minhyun quickly got off the car and made a quick run to the house, and toward the stairs.

“And aren’t you a little late?”

Minhyun paused at the foot of the stairs. He dared not look over his shoulder at the man: Hwang Jungmin standing behind him.

“I’m sure mother told you I would be out,” Minhyun said, keeping his gaze toward the stairs.

“And your mother told you I would be here.”

Minhyun turned to face Jungmin with a hint of anger almost matching his father’s. Jungmin wasn’t alone. There standing beside him was Minhyun’s mother Kim Sungryung, and she wasn’t pleased with the way Minhyun was behaving toward her beloved husband.

“And after three long days you finally care to see us,” Minhyun stated as a fact.

“MINHYUN!” Sungryung snapped, stepping in front of her husband. "That is enough. Your father made time to see us out of his busy schedule, the least we can do is be happy he is here."

"And when do you plan to leave?" Minhyun continued his eyes meeting Jungmin’s at the same time he pretended not to hear his mother.

"That isn't what matters right now," Jungmin says, avoiding the question with ease.

"Because you plan to leave soon after, right?"

Jungmin grinded his teeth, going silent.

“Minhyun, enough” Sungryung pleas, but Minhyun continued after taking his father’s silences. “If you can’t answer that, then tell me, how long do you plan to be gone? Three days…a week, months… a year?”

“You know I am a very busy man,” Jungmin grumbled.

Minhyun rolled his eyes. How many times had he heard ‘I am a busy man’ in his life? He shook his head displeasingly at his father. He took a step back, turned, and ran up the stairs. He ignored Sungryung as she called him back. He slammed his bedroom door open, entered; smashed it shut, and locked it. His hands rested on the door for a minute, his eyes closed. Three days may have seemed like nothing for a father to be gone from home…but for Minhyun three days tended to turn to weeks, months, and sometimes a year. His mother practically raised him on her own with the help of his nanny, but even then that hadn’t been enough.

Minhyun fingers formed into fist. He moved so his back was now on the door, and slid to the floor.

Sungryung may not know it, but Minhyun had seen her cry countless times, because her husband had been gone for days. At first it bothered Minhyun. He wanted to see her happy. Sometimes he wondered why she stayed here when there were others willing to treat her better, and it was when these thoughts started forming he came to think she was weak.

Minhyun sighed. He needed some distraction. He took out his phone and called the first name on sight .

It rang a few times before being answered.

‘…Y-yeoboseyo’

Minhyun slightly chuckled. The sound of his voice brought this ease in his heart. “What are you doing?”

There was a sound of rustling on the other line.

Um…p-preparing to sleep.’

“You sound nervous…why?”

‘………I…Ani…I’m not…I’m not nervous’

“Really?” Minhyun said in disbelief. “You can’t fool me, Bugi.”

~:::::~

‘You can’t fool me, Bugi’

Boom po,

Boom po

Boom, po was the sound his heart was making. Jonghyun always knew Minhyun had one of those voices that could bring someone in, but for some reason it was ier on the phone, and when he called him Bugi (maybe short for Onibugi he assumed) blood rushed to Jonghyun’s cheeks. He sat on his bed, and patted his chest in the hopes to ease his uneven beating heart.

Jonghyun squeezed his eyes shut tightly…he was falling, falling hard for him. He had to do something quick. “Isn’t it rude to be on the phone when you’re with your parents?” Curse himself for being a jerk.

‘I am in my room.’

“Why?”

‘[chuckle]…Like you I need to sleep.’

Jonghyun pouted. It was a good answer. “Then…maybe I should hang up.”

‘No. Wait. Let me just hear your voice…for a bit.’

Jonghyun lifted a brow. Was it possible Minhyun was growing feelings for him too? Jonghyun didn’t want to believe it so. “Um…how?”

‘Sing…’

Jonghyun blushed, this time out of embarrassment. “I can’t…I can’t sing.”

‘[chuckle] Really? Impossible…everyone can sing.’

“Even you?” Jonghyun asked, though in his opinion Minhyun didn’t seem like the type capable of singing.

‘I can sing.’

“No way.”

Yes’

“I don’t believe you.”

‘I can prove it.’

Jonghyun bit his lower lip. “…Prove it.”

‘Give me a second…’

Jonghyun heard sounds from the other line. It sounded like Minhyun had been sitting on some ground and was just getting up. He kept hearing other sounds like objects and stuff being moved.

‘Pick a song’

Jonghyun glanced at the ceiling of his bedroom thinking of a song. “Mm…love, That One Word by: Kim Taeyeon.”

‘Ah…good choice...[typing sounds, music is suddenly being played in the background]…

♬ amudo moreuge najocha moreuge

(Without anyone knowing, without me knowing)

eonjebuteoinji geudaega nae mame ♬’

(I don’t know when but you came into my heart)

The phone slipped from Jonghyun’s hand. He quickly caught the phone before it could greet the floor, and placed it back over his ear to listen…if his face couldn’t be redder, it became redder. How funny? Someone like Minhyun not only was gifted with a wealthy family and looks, but a singing voice that could probably melt a cold heart.

nunmuri heulleo…(Tears flow)’

gogaereul sugin chaero nan geudael bonae

(With my head down low, I’m looking at you)

Jonghyun fell back on his bed, placed his phone on his pillow, and lays right next to it.

sarangeun geureoke geudaega moreuge

(Love has come without you knowing)

amu iyu eobsi geudaereul nae mame

(Without any reason, you’re in my heart)

hollo ireoke imal doenoeimyeo uneun

(All alone, I repeat these words as I cry)

nareul geudaeneun aneunji

(Do you know?)

~:::::~

The brightness of the sun striking his eyes woke Jonghyun up. He slowly sat up, rubbed his arms, and yawned. At first he viewed this day as another school day, until his phone slid to the corner of his thigh. Jonghyun gasped, quickly catching the phone in his hand. He had fallen asleep somewhere in the night while on the phone with Minhyun. Oh he hoped Minhyun wouldn’t be angry or curse him.

Jonghyun pressed a button, turning his phone on.

From Minhyun: Goodnight, Bugi.

Jonghyun placed a hand over his mouth. “What are you doing to me?” Jonghyun whispered. He tossed the phone aside. What was happening here…first the kiss on the corner of his lips, and now this. Jonghyun ran his fingers over his hair in stress. This was scary…he was scared. He had to remember, had to…that Minhyun could never love him; it was impossible. Despite apart of him hoping and wanting that love, it was a selfish thought. He had to forbid others from falling in love with him, and the bruise on his hand was a reminder of  why.

~::::::~

Pledis High School

“OH MY DEAR JULIET! I HAVE COME FOR THEE~”

“Hyung…what are you doing?” Daniel paused in front of Seongwoo.

Seongwoo was standing in front of the school gate, piles of papers in his hands, with an odd stance with a fist shooting to the air. He looked ridiculous and silly from an outside point of view, and people were staring. Daniel now understood the meaning of second hand embarrassment.

Seongwoo dropped the sheets against his thigh (still holding them) and stood straight. “What does it look like?”

“Like you lost your mind, hyung,” Daniel answered.

Seongwoo lightly glared at Daniel. He dropped his arms around the boy. “Okay, okay, so you know I have been practicing… ”

Daniel looked questioningly at Seongwoo as if the answer was missing something.

Seongwoo rolled his eyes. “The drama club wants me to be Romeo for their coming play.”

“I didn’t know you were in the drama club,” Daniel whispered. If he had known he would have joined just to be with Seongwoo.

“You are kidding, right? My friends would laugh at me if I was,” Seongwoo said. The idea itself was bothersome. “But the drama club wants a y Romeo, and you know” Seongwoo pulled his hair back ily. This action made Daniel blush because of how attractive Seongwoo was. “You can’t deny I’m good looking.”

“Ah,” Daniel nodded as he processed the information. “But, hyung, I don’t think I ever heard Romeo say to Juliet ‘I have come for thee’.”

“Really,” Seongwoo skimmed the script, searching for the lines he had been required to practice. “I must practice more then, but how?” Seongwoo tapped his lower lip, he was searching for the answer in his head, when he suddenly looked at Daniel expecting an answer from him.

This was not a good idea. “I-I’m going to be late,” Daniel speed walked passed Seongwoo.

“I haven’t even asked yet,” Seongwoo followed after Daniel.

“I’m not going to pretend to be Juliet, hyung,” Daniel answered the unspoken question.

“But I need help memorizing my lines.”

“Find the person playing Juliet.”

“Hell I know who that is.”

“Ask the club”

“Danny,” Seongwoo took hold of Daniel’s arm, pulled him back to prevent him from moving any farther. “I want you to help me practice.”

‘Don’t look at his eyes, don’t look at his eyes’ Daniel’s eyes met Seongwoo’s. Dammit! “Won’t I be an ugly Juliet though?”

Seongwoo dropped his jaw. “You are a perfect Juliet.”

Blood rushed to Daniel’s cheeks. Did he even hear right?

“And we can even practice the kiss scene, unless you don’t kiss boys.”

I would only kiss you, hyung, Daniel didn’t say out loud. This was the perfect opportunity to get closer to Seongwoo. “Um-“

“YAH! HOW DARE YOU HOLD OUR MINHYUN’S HAND YESTERDAY?!” ”

Both boys turned their attention away from each other and toward the sound of a female yelling. A female student had pushed a male student, and not just any male student but Kim Jonghyun, to the ground. Jonghyun probably would have been able to save his fall if he hadn’t tripped on his own feet. He was surrounded by a group of angry females, and the one who had pushed him, crossed her arms.

“Hyung…” Daniel turned his attention to Seongwoo.

“Ah, those are the girls from Minhyun’s Fanclub,” Seongwoo stated.

“Hyung,” Daniel took hold of Seongwoo’s hand, and gave him a pleading gaze. “Stop them please.”

“Okay, okay”

~:::::~

First Jonghyun was shoved by someone. He tried to fix his balance and prevent the ground from meeting his face, but to his luck his own foot got caught with the other and he fell.

“YOU THINK A NOBODY CAN JUST DATE OUR OPPA!?”

Another girl pushed him back to the ground before he could even stand.

Jonghyun dug his nails onto the cemented ground. ‘This will be over, this will be over soon’ He kept saying in his head as more and more girls yelled and hit him. They were angry…someone (unknown) most likely caught him and Minhyun together yesterday, told all the other girls, and now he was a target because of their jealousy. He bit his tongue as some of their hits landed on a bruised area of his body. It hurt.

“Yah, don’t you girls care about what your Minhyun will think when he sees this?”

The hits had stopped, all girls, and Jonghyun had given their attention to the new person. It was Seongwoo, and Daniel was with him. Daniel ran over to Jonghyun.

“Jonghyun-hyung, you are bleeding,” Daniel removed his bag from his shoulders and dug inside the pockets to take out some tissue.

“I-I’m okay,” Jonghyun whispered at the same time Daniel pressed the napkin to Jonghyun’s nose.

Jonghyun’s eyes widened. The blood was coming from his nose, a spot no one had hit. “Sorry,” Jonghyun quickly moved away from the ground and ran passed the girls while holding onto the tissue.

“Hyung!” Daniel called after Jonghyun who had disappeared somewhere in the school. “I hope he is okay…”

“He is probably going to the nurse’s office,” Seongwoo said. “And where do you girls think you’re going?” Seongwoo grabbed two of the girls who were about to chase after Jonghyun.

“Oppa!” The girls cried.

“You girls really think Minhyun will be happy when he hears you hurt his boyfriend?”

The girls all gasped.

“Yeah, yeah Minhyun is dating a male woo…” Seongwoo said  to their unspoken questions. “Doesn’t mean you can hurt him just because they are dating.” Seongwoo pull the girls who tried to get away from his hold. “And if you plan to hurt Jonghyun because of these news, I will make sure each one of you suffer for it.” Seongwoo loosened his hold on the two girls. They, along with the other group walked away crying, and angry.

“I thought Minhyun-hyung didn’t like Jonghyun-hyung,” Daniel whispered.

Seongwoo’s shoulders hunched. “Um…well…he changed his mind.”

Daniel lifted his brow. “Hyung…whatever you guys are doing, stop it now.”

“Oh, Danny, we aren’t planning anything.”

Daniel narrowed his eyes. “You are…and it’s no different from what these girls did to Jonghyun-hyung…it might be worse. You guys are messing with someone’s heart. I know you guys don’t like Jonghyun-hyung, I don’t know why…but Hyung, Jonghyun-hyung has done nothing wrong to deserve this treatment.”

Seongwoo frowned. “Ah, you are making me feel guilty…”

“Hyun-“

“What happened here?” Minhyun had appeared, and the first thing he noticed was the blood on the floor.

“Jonghyun-hyung is bleeding,” Daniel answered without hesitation.

And with those words heard Minhyun had ran off into the school.

Daniel and Seongwoo glanced at each other surprised.

“Maybe it’s not a game anymore,” Seongwoo whispered.

-to be continued
 

AN: I don’t know how to show my thanks for all you subscribers and commentators. All I can say is thank you so much, and I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please, please be aware that I won’t be able to update this fanfic as I used to. Unfortunately I started school, and along with school I work. The next chapter might be coming within a few weeks or even a month, it all depends on the time I have.

Here is the song I had Minhyun sing in the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnWJba4SNDs

I thought it was beautiful and suits the story, and no, this is not their theme song. Still beautiful, Taeyeon has a beautiful voice, and I believe Minhyun is capable of singing this song. That kid can sing…my god.

Until then