Chapter 6

300 Years

Wow it's been a long time isn't it? Here's the update.

Enjoy the story and drop by my Ko-fi link if you want to. Let's go!

Ko-fi Links <----Click click click

 

.....

What was it again? Yes, misfortune. The way your life crumbles in front of your eyes. It was inevitable at times. She remembered the day when she was still human. When life was so simple but it is also challenging. She remembered the smile on her fiancée’s face as he bid his goodbye. The flying kiss he gave her when the truck that carrying medicine supplies along with her and a few other doctors left the basecamp. They were just innocent young doctors with a will of steel; brave enough to volunteer amidst the war happening around them. The road was supposed to be safe to travel. But boy how she was wrong when out of nowhere, a projectile rocket exploded in front of the truck as they sway and crashed. She was badly injured but the rest of the doctors didn’t make it.

 

“Irene?” Joohyun eyes shot open as she turns around and knife on the neck of the intruder. Yuri eyes widen but he knows not to fight back; Joohyun is a scary protector and for centuries, she had proven herself.

 

“Hey, it’s me!” Yuri desperate voice woke her up from her trance. Joohyun release her hold and kept the dagger in its sheath; hidden behind jacket.

 

“Sorry. I didn’t notice.”

 

“Obviously.” He rolled his eyes as he sat down on an empty chair. Joohyun felt his gaze on her.

 

“What?” As if it was not obvious yet.

 

“Well, you rarely left the covenant. To see you here in my house, it is kind of weird.” He was surprised when he walked in and saw her standing near the door totally spacing out. He try reading her thought but Joohyun is one of the vampires that actually built a wall around her mind which preventing him from milking anything from her.

 

“I’m here for you.” She answered as she leans on her back on the wall. Yuri was sceptical as his face expression tells her that. She crossed her arms.

 

“Taeyeon asked me to. I wouldn’t be here if he didn’t. Apparently your brother hates the idea to see you suffer anymore.” That earned Yuri attention. He lifted an eyebrow as the words sinks in.

 

“He asked you to assist me?” A glint of happiness on his face shown and his smile suddenly became bright. With Joohyun by his side, Jessica chances to survive increase double fold.

 

“He asked me to protect you. My task is to protect you. Not Sooyeon.”

 

“It’s the same. You know I’ll throw my life for her and only her.” Yuri was firmed of his decision. Unless Joohyun felt like disobeying Taeyeon’s order, she’s stuck with him for a while and knowing Joohyun, there’s no way she’s going to betray the covenant or Taeyeon himself. Joohyun face stiffen a little but remain calm as she ponders over her options. There’s only an obvious choice.

 

“I am still standing to my words; I’ll protect you. So if you want to protect Sooyeon, I suggest you keep her by your side Yuri.”

 

Yuri can’t help but smile. When Joohyun gave her words, she meant it. With Seungwan being a total mystery to him and the final week coming fast, he’s grateful for her help.

 

“Thank you Irene.”

 

Joohyun just nodding her head as she sat down on a chair. A vampire as her looks so awkward trying to blend in the way human’s live; he can see how her back still straight as she sat down.

 

“Haunch your back a little when you sit down. You don’t look normal like that.”

 

“My stay here is not permanent. So there’s no need for me to learn anything but just in case, I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

Yuri chuckled as he’s resting his back and crossed his right leg on top of his left.

 

“Did the immortal show up yet?” Joohyun asked with cautious. Yuri shook his head.

 

“Not yet but I was attack with a warning arrow a few days ago. I think it is him. But it’s weird. The pattern was slightly different. He should be introducing himself to me before a warning attack. Unless..” Yuri paused as his brain working hard to put information together.

 

“..unless I already saw him.”

 

Joohyun fist tightened; digging nails into her skin.

 

“There’s a new guy in my school. His name is Son Seungwan. I think it’s him.” The realization angered Yuri even more. The attack pattern had change from previous time. He was too into his thought that he didn’t notice the frown on Joohyun’s face. But it only lasted for a few seconds.

 

“You’re being paranoid. If it is him, I bet you can sense his presence already. Immortals scent is different.”

 

“That what I had in mind but there’s something about him Irene. I can’t point out what it is.” Yuri exclaimed unaware of Joohyun’s body slightly stiffen.

 

“You should focus on Sooyeon. I’ll watch over this Seungwan guy.” Irene assured Yuri calmly without giving out any hints of knowing the said guy. Yuri’s sudden phone ring tone stopped them from conversing even more. He answered the call and a wide smile plastered on his face. Joohyun didn’t have to ask to know who it is. She signalled Yuri informing him that she’s leaving the compound. The tan cold blood slightly nodding his head as he is now focusing on Jessica instead after Joohyun jumped out of the window.

 

“Where are you?” Yuri burst out laughing as Jessica demanding tone reach his hears.

 

“Why? You’re already missing me?”

 

“Nope. Slim chance. We really need to finish our school project Yul and you happen to be my partner. Come here.” He can imagine her standing with her annoyed expression leaning against her right leg with her foot tapping on the floor impatiently; a sight that brought even more laughter from him.

 

“You want me there? Will I get a kiss if I go there?”

 

“I’m so tempted to hang up. 3 minutes Yul. I’m starting my countdown.” He was so sure that Jessica won’t do anything to him.

 

“You know I’ll be running to you in no time. Just say when and where Sica.”

 

“Oh my god! Just come here and stop flirting!” Yuri laughed even hard as Jessica ended the call. They might be together now but their teasing games have never slow down at all. He likes how responsive she is to his teasing.

 

“Such a princess.”

 

.....

 

Jessica huffed while descending down the staircase. Yuri is still not here. Aren’t vampires should be agile and all? She loves him but not to the extent of failing her classes. How dare this cold blood attempting to sweet talk his way out of finishing his part? He will get it from her. She’ll make sure of it.

 

“Let me guess. Yuri is the reason why you’re acting like aa kid?” Her mother is in the kitchen when she heard her daughter grumbling incoherent words that associated with a couple times of Yuri’s name. Jessica let her body fall like a log on the couch as she’s getting irritated by Yuri nonchalant attitude towards homework; not that he minds graduating for 100 times already.

 

“He’s always late mom. My subject mark depends on this assignment.”

 

“It’s only been 5 minutes Jessica. You can’t expect him to travel that fast right?” She said as she finishing cleaning the kitchen and joining her daughter in the living room. Jessica almost huffed before remembering that her mother has no idea of the inhuman side of Yuri. Well, maybe she can test the water first before Yuri arrival.

 

“Mom, can I ask you something?”

 

Jessica’s mother just shrugged as she leans back on the couch and eyes on the drama showing right now.

 

“I read this one book a few days ago and inside the writer wrote about the other living thing aside from human and animals. Do you believe it?”

 

She can sense her mother focus is now shifting towards her. She knew her over this unexplainable world but to ask her mother about it and probably getting a hint over her opinion is kind of nerve wrecking.

 

“Well, if this living things...” She quoted her sentences using both her forefingers in mid air just like how the young guns are doing now, she continued.

 

“....is living, then why not? I mean amoeba is a living . Viruses too which reminds me, don’t go out during rainy days okay? I heard some weird sickness is spreading around.”

 

“Mom, I’m not 12.”

 

“Well, I’m still your mother Jessica Jung.” She said with a firm tone. Jessica sighed and nodding her head just like the obedient child she is. Now might be the right time not to venture further into living things and let this conversation died down. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Yuri standing near their kitchen window signalling her to go up. She was glad that her mother attention is back at the drama.

 

Go in through the front door!

 

Yuri shook his head. Jessica face palm herself.

 

DO IT NOW. If her stares can kill, Yuri might be dropping dead by now at how vicious her stare at him. She’s going to kill him if he doesn’t come in using the front door the way he had done since they were kids. He disappears from her sight and soon the door bell to her house is buzzing. Hyori brows both raise signalling her that Yuri might probably buzzing that.

 

If only you know mom.

 

Jessica awkwardly smile and left her mother to her things as she open the door and pretends that she didn’t already knew whom it is. He’s smiling like an idiot with both hands tucked into his jeans pocket.

 

“Hi.”

 

No matter how childlike he is or inhuman he is, there’s nothing about him that scream monster. Her cheeks turn slightly pink probably feeling a little shy.

 

“Is is Yul, Jessica?” Hyori voice echoed from the kitchen earning the two attentions. Yuri bend to his right slightly and saw Hyori head peeking from the kitchen.

 

“Hi Hyori! I’m sorry to bother you at night.” Jessica let him in as she closed the door behind. Hyori just smile as she raised her knife.

 

“I’m making dinner. Eat with us okay?”

 

“Yeah sure. I love too.” He answered as he holds Jessica’s hands behind his back. He flashed Hyori a smile as Jessica lead him upstairs. Without the two realize, Hyori saw the intertwine hands and can’t help giggling like a child. Maybe her wish for her daughter to end up with Yuri could probably be granted.

 

“Why do I feel like I’m a teenager again?”

 

Well, she wished she is so that she can fall in love again. It’s making her remembering the times she spent with her later husband when they were younger. It brings back good memories.

 

“Oh, I should finish making dinner.”

 

.....

 

“Finally!” Jessica let herself fall on her bed as she finally typing the last word on her laptop. Yuri is still working on his slide as she finishing off hers. He glance at her whom sighing in happiness as she put away her laptop.

 

“Your bed looks comfortable, Sica.”

 

Jessica eyes pried open as she saw the sleazy looks on Yuri’s face. She picks up a teddy bear and threw it at him which he dodge it; not really a surprise.

 

“Finish up Yul. Don’t be a erted boy now.”

 

He chuckles. He actually had already finishing up his slide and just waiting for her to do so. He turned his screen towards her and grinning like a kid.

 

“I already finished. I was playing a game.” His laughter got louder when Jessica groaned in displeases. She thought for once she had beaten him on something; how far was the truth.

 

“Why can’t you let win for once? I’m a mere human Yul.”

 

“Did you saw me typing with an inhuman speed?” He back. Jessica pouted as she turns around facing him.

 

“I already did my parts before coming here Jung. I came because I want to spend my time with you. Am I sweet or not?”

 

Jessica huffed as she reached out trying to flick him on his forehead. Yuri was enjoying this banter between them and slightly leaning back just to troll his girlfriend. Girlfriend? Heck he enjoys that too.

 

“I’m getting diabetic.”

 

Yuri pushed his laptop aside as he lay on bed next to her despite her attempt trying to kick him out of her space. He would have complained of the physical pain from her instant kicking if it wasn’t because of his immortal state.

 

“Good. That would put the other guys away from you.”

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes on him as he’s smile grew wide. She can tell he’s enjoying teasing her.

 

“And you too. I might die and you can’t save me.” She answered back as their gazes are on each other, she can see his eyes sometimes landed on the pulse of her neck. She can’t imagine him fighting between his blood lust and his desire to be as human as possible. Yuri eyes darted back towards her as his palm resting on her waist.

 

“I can save you. But that means I have to take you away from everything that is human and I can’t do it.”

 

He’s almost whispering the last part hoping that she won’t hear it. But she did and there’s frown visible on her face. Her free hand reached towards his face as she cupped the side of it. He didn’t know how she didn’t find his cold skin obviously a distraction.

 

“When I know the truth, I realized how different we both are. My brain keeps on telling me that I’m in for something that is out of this world and I should quit now while I still can. There’s too much of risks.”

 

He can feel her breath remained the same as if she’s calm about it. One thing about Jessica that he learnt from being friends for so long is she’s not one to dwell with uncertainty unless she’s well informed of the risk involve. She would quit in a heartbeat if the uncertainty is overwhelming. So it took him by surprise when she was calm about their kind of uncertainty.

 

“My heart is going against everything my brain is telling me to do. I am considering quitting, trust me I do. But I can’t. Not because of the uncertainty or bleak future ahead. It’s because of you. You’re here for me when I didn’t understand any of these which I’m still am. I want to be here for you too.”

 

Jessica shyly smile as she realized the depth of her words effecting Yuri because the tan guy faces expression looks like he’s going to cry soon. Yuri didn’t know the right words that could be on the same level as hers because whatever she said topped everything in his world.

 

“I feel like crying right now. It that I am a guy but I really want to cry.”

 

Yuri puffed his cheek in attempts to not cry and it works but it also made his cheek getting pinch by Jessica.

 

“You’re just teasing me.”

 

They both fall into giggling fit as they settle comfortably on the single bed. Nothing really change to be honest other than their relationship has grown. They used to do this all the time even back then. Something that Jessica knows she will cherish as times goes on. She throws her gaze out of the window of her room as the night stars seems to shine so brightly tonight. Star gazing sounded like a good idea right now. Her serenade expression made him guilty for keeping secrets from her; especially one that involving her life.

 

“Sica, do you want to hear a tale from 300 years ago?” The confused expression on her face made him even guiltier. After what she just said earlier, Yuri didn’t want to keep her in the dark completely. At least knowing half the truth is far better than nothing at all.

 

“There was a tale told from generation to generation; two hearts that find comfort from each other. One is a mortal being and her counterpart was an immortal. But they find peace over differences. But heaven wasn’t happy about it. They find differences will disrupt the harmony of the world built from centuries ago. A prophecy was heard all over the realm. They refuse to recognize the important of peace after the Felix Covenant deadly war. Every 300 years during the last full moon, a mortal life will be taken to save the realm from disruption; stopping the uncertainty from happening. The life that was taken will reborn again for the prophecy to continue.” Yuri didn’t know how to continue as her attention is finally full on him. The truth is the uncertainty and he knows that she will never accept any uncertainty. But her eyes telling something else. She sighed as she closed her eyes for a few seconds before finally looking back at him.

 

“If you think I’m going to be surprise well you had it all wrong. You’ve been acting weird ever since Taeyeon is here and even weirder with the new guy in class. Let me guess, I’m that sacrificial mortal every 300 years.”

 

“No if I can stop it in time.”

 

“And who’s the new guy?”

 

“Sica, I think we save this story for tomorrow.” Yuri tries to keep everything at the minimum. Too much information is not going to be good for any of them. Jessica deadly stare quickly shut him up. His throat feels dry too. How can he, a vampire get intimidated by a human? It’s mad.

 

“I don’t know who he is and why he’s here but I know I have a bad feeling about him. I can’t read his mind.”

 

“You can’t read my mind.”

 

“That is because we do have connection and you didn’t let me in. But he obviously blocks me as if he knew who I am. Plus I can sense he’s not human. His eyes are blue and his skin shines. Human can’t see it but immortals can. I can.”

 

Maybe Yuri is right and Jessica knows she just regret asking this. But the more he told her, the more she’s curious of her fate. This is why she never let uncertainty clouding her judgement in every decision.

 

“Can’t you tell by the he way shines which immortal he is?”

 

Yuri pushed himself up. Jessica watched as he let out big sigh. She followed him up.

 

“Some vampires sparkle and some don’t just like me because our camouflage is suppose to differentiate our kind and humans. The same goes with other immortals but instead of not shining, the shining one is far stronger and better. I can guess but I can be totally wrong.”

 

Yuri turned around facing her completely. Jessica felt like her heart almost stopping at the sight of Yuri’s eyes; pupil shaking with a slight tense. Something he hadn’t shown before.

 

“The last time heaven sent their warrior, he is an angel that goes by the name of Seulgi. He doesn’t shine the way Seungwan did. It says a lot.” She can sense his body tense at the mention of Seulgi’s name. Obviously he failed the last time to an angel that didn’t shine named Seulgi. Now, she’s scared because how good a shining immortal then? Now the uncertainty would probably becoming the reason of her own death, again. Great.

 

.....

 

“Thanks for the dinner Hyori. I’m full.” Yuri compliments and being thankful for Hyori’s food. The single mother proud smile can be seen even from the front door where they are now. He needs to pretend to leave the house which he’s not. But Jessica insisted that he leave first to avoid her mother interrogating her.

 

“Anything Yul. You’re always welcome here.”

 

“I know. Thanks.” Yuri waved her goodbye as Jessica pushed him outside and closed the door behind them. He can’t help but grinning like an idiot and it’s annoying the hell out of Jessica.

 

“What?”

 

“Stop smiling like that. It’s creepy.”

 

“I’m smiling because you finally letting me to stay after all these years.”

 

“I’m done with this erted side of yours. Like seriously done.”

Yuri can’t seem to be wiping off that erted grin from his face. As annoying she finds that smile, it somehow making her smile too.

 

“I’ll see you later?”

 

Jessica raised her brows as if she didn’t understand what he just said. Yuri jutted his bottom lips. Rather than sympathy, she finds him cute.

 

“Pleawwwesss?”

 

“Maybe. If I feel like letting you in.”

 

Yuri furrowed his eyebrows together still with his jutting bottom lips.

 

“Oh, what is that?” Yuri’s pointing at something at the street. Jessica looked over in an instant and felt him kissing her on the cheek. Even his eyes are shaping like its smiling and teeth showing at how proud he is for successfully stealing a kiss. Yuri smiling eyes suddenly grew wide as Jessica pulled him by the collar towards her and kissing him hard on his mouth. She definitely didn’t give anything away before he could say a thing. He’s drowned and in daze with her kisses and this is definitely better each time. There’s tongue and definitely a definite taste of hers lingering with her warmth and he like it. He’s vampire but the moment they parted, he seems to be breathless and she’s not. But Jessica keep her palms on the crock of his neck as she let him holding her steadily.

 

“Wow. That was awesome. I’m breathless. Why are you not?” Yuri said as he held her in his arms. She might be bold but she’s still feeling shy for starting that. Her cheeks turn pink. She quickly hid her face on his chest and thank god; who didn’t want her dead, for creating him taller than her.

 

“Shut up Yul.”

 

.....

 

“Shut up Yul.”

 

SeungWan heard everything. He hissed as he finds his job now will be difficult. With Jessica knowledge of the prophecy, getting near her will not be an easy task. He got to plan something: something that can get him a few minutes alone with Jessica. He needed to distract Yuri away. The more Jessica knows, the further away she is from him. He can’t risk that.

 

“I need to find a way.”

 

He has to act fast before the last full moon. But this is not his only problem. He can guess that Joohyun already knew what he did the night before. He’s not dumb and he saw the bite on his arm. Joohyun read his mind and now she knows what’s going on. He can only wish that she’s not a part of this suicide mission that he was force to be in. He hadn’t heard from her yet. She was probably pissed off.

 

“SeungWan.”

 

Well, he said it too early. Why didn’t he notice her?

 

“Full name Hyun? You rarely call me with my full name.”

 

Joohyun moved so fast that Seungwan didn’t anticipate it as he was pushed towards the large tree hard. The pain lingered on his back but Joohyun gaze is the reason why he didn’t counter the attack. Her eyes look sad and disappointed.

 

“You lied to me.”

 

“Hyun, I’m sorry.” Comparing strength, he knew he has no chance against Joohyun. She’s far stronger and more experience than him. Her name was even spoken in heaven. They fear her more than the Felix Covenant.

 

“Sorry is not enough Wan.” Joohyun used her strength as she raised Seungwan up in the air as she clamped hard on his neck before throwing him hard on the ground creating a loud boom sound. If it was a human, he would be probably dead. SeungWan didn’t wait as he jumped away from her creating distance between them. He might have dislocated his right shoulder but that is not his priority. Joohyun is and he didn’t think of a way out of this.

 

“This had nothing to do with you Hyun. It’s my fight.”

 

A lone tear rolls down her cheek and SeungWan knew his fate just screw up his life.

 

“You’re the protector? No...” Joohyun wiped away that fresh tear completely firm of not letting him watching her so vulnerable.

 

“Someone had to die for the prophecy to start again. I can’t hurt you.” There’s pain in her voice as she uttered those words. The reality finally sinking in his brain; it’s either him or the girl would die. If he fails then he will die but for the prophecy to start, Jessica had to die and Joohyun would not let that happen.

 

“Irene!” Both of them saw Yuri with incredible speed coming at them and probably aiming for Seungwan but Joohyun stopped him in time as she stood between him and Seungwan. Yuri snarled not happy with Joohyun interference. He was convinced that it was Irene as soon as he heard the loud thud sound echoed through the night but he couldn’t see whom the attacker. Joohyun flip Yuri away as he hit the tree next to them. She turned towards Seungwan and gave him the look that he knew too well what it meant; leave now. Seungwan didn’t want to leave without explaining himself and he knows for sure that Joohyun is not going to find him later on. Not after what had transpired between them. So he did what he could, he orbs himself away from the place. He’ll find Joohyun later.

 

“Irene, what the hell?!” Yuri pushed himself up and saw the stranger already left the scene. He is definitely an angel because his orbs spark is still there. Joohyun made sure no more tears in her eyes as she goes back to her Irene mode; the dangerous side of herself.

 

“It’s none of your concern Yuri.”

 

“What? I know that’s an angel and that could possibly be him!” Joohyun gaze remain unfazed as she turns her back against him.

 

“He’s not. I’ve checked. You should go. I sense Sooyeon is worry about you.”

 

Yuri cursed but he has to believe Joohyun. Plus he madly came here without telling Jessica so he can senses that she’s worried too.

 

“You’re right. I’ll go but you will tell me what’s going on.”

 

Joohyun didn’t answer but only nodding her head. Yuri despite not satisfied with her answer have to settle with what she’d offered, for now. He left the scene, leaving Joohyun alone. Joohyun fist tightened as nails digging into her palms. How did she end up in this mess? Her left palm resting against her tummy and she can feel that feint heartbeat. There’s no way she can go back to the covenant like this.

 

She’s left with no choice. None that matter to the new life in her. None.

 

........

Ko-fi Links <----Click click click