Old and Married

Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You?

‘Don’t give up Kibum!’ where the words I wanted to say but somehow they became lodged in my throat and all I could do is watch. Watch as he fell down, watch as the referee counted to ten giving Kibum the final countdown, watch as Kibum didn’t get up, watch as Kibum lost.

I immediately ran over to Kibum, Bom was right behind me Alex looked at me triumphantly and walked over to be but I ran right past him went to Kibum. Bom and me picked him up, carried him to her car, and placed him in the backseat.

“Where are we taking him?” Bom asked as she started the car and made our way our of the parking lot.

“My house can you help me carry him to the Attic?” I asked her she looked at me as if I was crazy but shook her head and pulled out a cigarette.

“You want to hide him in your attic?” She asked taking a drag of her cigarette the third one; I had seen her smoke today.

“No my bedroom is in the attic.” She gave a nod and drove to my house this time parking in my driveway. We carried him up all the stairs and laid him on my bed.

“Go down to the second floor take a left and walk down to the very end of the hall there is a white door with flowers painted on it. That’s my bathroom and there is a first-aid kit in the medicine cabinet.

Kibum continued to wince in pain as he lied on my bed. I sat beside him and ran my fingers through his hair.

“What are you doing?” He asked as he forced himself to sit up and groaned.

“You did good out there Kibum.” I tell him with a smile but he just scoffs and shakes his head.

“I don’t need lip service Rachel. You where there you saw how bad I lost. I didn’t stand a chance I don’t know what I was thinking taking that match.” He squeezed his eyes shut and ran his fingers through his hair.

“But you made it eight rounds Kibum! Not just anyone could make it that long Kibum!” I was trying to be reassuring but it didn’t seem to be working. I stood up from the bed, went over to my drawers, and pulled out a clean rag to wipe his face. I had a large bottle unopened water that I opened and poured onto the rag.

“Rachel please don’t lie to me.” he winced as he felt the cold wet rag wipe against his cuts and bruises.

“No it’s true Kibum. I know that if I was ever in danger you would be able to protect me.” I said smiling Kibum stiffened and looked down and let out a heavy breath.

“I wouldn’t be able to save you.” He said and I knew what Bom had said was true I was the ‘thing’ Kibum wanted to protect. I don’t know how long he had known but I suppose any guy would want to protect the girl who he had grown up with.

Still standing I wrapped my arms around his neck hugging him.

“I’m safe with you Kibum. You can save me; I’m safe with you…” I kept repeating those words while Kibum wrapped his arms around my waist and cried. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry and I knew I never wanted to see him cry. If Hyung Joon Oppa started crying, I don’t know what I would do.

Bom soon reentered my room with the first-aid kit and after we wiped all the dried blood, Bom started to bandage him up. While she bandaged him up me and Kibum told her about how the two of us became friends.

“There all finished but I would suggest Kibum you laid off the boxing for a while and definitely away from matches with Alex Turner.” She said patting him on the shoulder.

Kibum nodded and lied down on my bed and fell asleep. Before Bom left, she smiled and gave me a gentle hug and leaned in to whisper in my ear. What she said dumfounded me a little but all I could really do was nod as she walked down my bedroom stairs and left my house.

For a while longer, the words she said rang in my ears.

‘Don’t make him work to hard. Even if you are his thing, don’t make him cry. A guy like him doesn’t deserve it.’

Weeks past and Kibum’s wounds healed and he began to be the Kibum I had known before the one who could barely put his camera down. If he ever did put it down it was only to practice his boxing. I found I could get along with both Kibums’ the one who loved pictures and the one who found pleasure in growing stronger and beating his opponents in the ring. I made a point of letting him know he had my full support, something Hyung Joon found hilarious.

“You two sound like an old married couple! No matter what Kibum you have my support Kibum!” Oppa almost fell off the couch he was laughing so hard.