Pictures of you, Pictures of me

Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You?

Three years flew by so quickly I can barely remember what happened between the time we met and the day it happened. Yes that’s when it happened I am sure of it December 30, 1999 was the day it happened.

You see when Kibum’s parents and mine learned that Kibum’s birthday was the 29th of December and mine was the 31st they decided to have a joint birthday party of the 30th. And that was the start of a tradition that wouldn’t be broken for years to come.

It was this birthday party when it all began I am sure. That one little thing that could change our lives forever.

It was a hectic day for our parents. The first year we did it neither could agree of, we should book a place to have the party or have it at home. And if it were to be at home whose home would it take place at? Until finally the ‘great compromiser’ that is Hyung Joon Oppa who like me and Kibum had suggested we alternate every year we decided that the first year would take place at Kibum’s house. Three years later, it was his turn again.

Mr. and Mrs. Kim where busy cleaning house and preparing part of the dinner while my parents where cooking the rest of the dinner and making sure they got all of the hats and the ice cream that the gifts where all wrapped.

A bunch of our friends came over and we played many games and watched a movie. And when it was time for the cake Kibum and I where sang happy birthday to in Korean (his parents) and English (everyone else). Finally when it was time for gifts me and Kibum both opened our gifts with such force we didn’t even take in what it was we where given.

Then one of my mom’s coworkers came into the party late and brought me and Kibum another present. When I opened my gift, it turned out to be a journal to write in and that’s when it started. That’s when my decision to become a novelist started. When Kibum opened his gift, he looked into the box his eyes widened as he pulled out two small containers.

“What are they?” He asked as he held them up for Mr. Kim to see who put on his glasses and chuckled.

“Kibum those are film canisters the nice lady must have gotten you a camera.” Mr. Kim handed the canister back to Kibum who sure enough pulled out a camera from the box.

I remember Kibum held the camera like it was worth all the most precious jewels in the world. He carefully examined the camera asking adults questions about how to put the film in and how many pictures he could take. The adults would patiently answer is questions and Kibum would listen very carefully making sure he was taking in the adults words completely.

“What will be your first picture Kibum?” My mom asked patiently as Kibum looked at his camera.

Kibum looked around the room and the people before finally taking my hand.

“Umma can me and Rachel go play on the beach?” He asked excited he was bouncing in his seat giving his mother a look she couldn’t refuse. She looked at my mother who nodded and me and Kibum gave shrikes of delight as Kibum took his camera and we walked to the beach.

When we got to the beach instead of playing, we kept walking along the beach holding hands. We walked and walked until get got to a place no one ever went to this part of the beach was long sense abandoned. And on this abandoned beach was a small shack that was a bit rundown. Me and Kibum had found it a little over a year before. It was our secret hideaway and even Hyung Joon Oppa didn’t know it was here. It was the place we would go when the only people we wanted around was each other.

We walked into our shack and sat on the floor. The room was dirty but it was a lot cleaner than it had been year ago. Over the past year, the two of us managed to steal away with a broom, paper towels, and Windex and managed to make the room cleaner.

Pretty soon, I was to wrapped in my own fantasies I didn’t even notice Kibum looking at me. I didn’t even notice when he snapped a picture of me.

“Hey Rachel do I have something on my face?” Kibum asked me and as soon as I looked at him, he took a picture. I sat there shocked for a second as to what he had just done. Before it sank in, he had just taken a picture of me.

“Why did you take a picture of me? Give me that camera Kibum!” I said as I stood up and started running after Kibum who seemed to understand he was in trouble.

“But you where so cute Rachel!” He said laughing as he ran in front of me. Sense he was quite a ways ahead of me he stopped and took another picture of me.

When I caught, up to him, I was out of breath and Kibum was sitting on the sand. His new camera was laying beside him just waiting for its new owner to pick it up again and take another picture of me. Kibum held his arms out to me with a crooked grin just waiting for me to sit down on his lap. When I did, he wrapped one of his arms around my waist and grabbed the camera. He rested his head on my shoulder and took a picture of the two us.

Kibum’s Point Of View

 

Thee second I received my first camera was the day my life changed. At nine years old, I already knew what I wanted. I wanted to take pictures beautiful pictures. I made a promise to myself the first time I held a camera. That I would take as many pictures of her and the memories we would make together as possible.

End Kibum’s Point of view.

“Kibum stop taking pictures of me!” I was pouting but Kibum just let out a laugh letting me know he was not going to obey my order.

The two of us took a look at the sky and realized if we didn’t hurry back soon the sun would begin to set. We walked back to his house slowly enjoying feeling the water rush against our feet. When we finally got back to his house we where both scolded for staying out so late.