25 minutes

Jaesica one shot.

 

25 minutes

It was Christmas night, while everybody was at home with their love ones, Kim Jaejoong on the other hand is still there in his office trying to finish up his work.

 “It’s already this late?”

He said as he glances to his wrist just to realize that it’s already 9 o’clock. He rubs his temples as he lean his back to the chair. He turns his head to the right overlooking the Seoul city night view through the window of his building, somehow the night scenery makes him feel gloomy all of the sudden. He light up a cigarette, inhale and gently blow the smoke as he watches the local folks walking around happily either in a pair or in a group. A bitter smile forms on his face. He turns his head back to the messy office table full of paper work and documents.

“We’re done for tonight.”

He whispers to himself as he grabbed his office bag and walks out of the building. He starts up his car and drive around the city not yet wanting to go home. All he wanted to do is just feeling the Christmas spirit just like everybody else.

The whole city looks beautiful with Christmas decorations, everywhere he turns he can see Christmas light, Christmas tree and yes, people having fun. Something that he hasn’t done in a while.

He parks his car and walks around the city. Then something caught his eyes, a beautiful pastel pink heel at the display of a boutique. Suddenly, memories kept flashing back in his head like a movie.

***

 

5 years ago,

 

“Jae, look! It’s so beautiful” Said Jessica with her eyes fixed at the beautiful pastel pink heel.

“I want that for Christmas!” She said while doing her aegyo to win over a yes from the guy standing in front of her.

“Why would you want that for?” He asked her nonchalantly while focusing on his blackberry trying to send a message to his coworker. Yes, that is Kim Jaejoong. A work-a-holic.

“Because its Christmas, and because I’m your girlfriend.” Said Jessica as she pouts when she realize that Jaejoong wasn’t really paying any attention to her.

“Jae..” Jessica said cupping the face of the man in front of her. “Look at me, I’m here. In front of you. Can you leave your work for a minute just for me?” She said, sadness can be seen clearly in her eyes.

Jaejoong was taken aback when he saw the expression of his girlfriend. With a sense of guilt, he puts away his blackberry and grabbed Jessica’s hand.

“I’m sorry.” He said as he planted a kiss on Jessica’s lips. “Let’s go into the shop shall we?”

“Yes!” Jessica said happily hugging the arm of the guy she loves the most in this world as they walk arm in arm into the shop.

 

***
 

“Jessica.”  Jaejoong mutters the name unconsciously with his gaze fixed at the pastel pink heels.

 

***

“You weren’t there when I needed you!” Jessica screams as she hugged her body tightly. Warm tears can be seen flowing down from her beautiful black eyes.

“You weren’t there when I needed you so much, when I lost someone so dear to me, you weren’t there!”

Jaejoong was lost. He didn’t know what to do. He knew that there’s nothing he can say to make things right again. It is his fault for being too immersed in his work until the point he neglect everything that’s happening around him.

“I-Im sorry Sica.” Those are the only words he can say to her. He can’t mutter another word in fact, there’s not a word that he can say to make her feel better right now. He walks toward Jessica, hugging her fragile body. “I’m so sorry.”

“No! I’ve had enough!” She said as she pushed Jaejoong away from her. “I’ve never asked for more, I’ve always been there for you. I didn’t want more, just for you to be there at times when I needed you the most. But you chose your work over me.” Jessica said as she wipes away her tears. “Goodbye.” She said as she walks out of the apartment.

Jaejoong was stunned. He didn’t know what to do, what to say. But all he knew that he shouldn’t let her leave just like that. He ran after her, chasing her to ask for another chance. As he walks out the apartment complex, Jessica was nowhere to be seen. Under the cold night sky he kneels on the floor with tears flowing down his eyes regretting everything wishing that he could turn back time and fix everything again.

 ***

“Jessica.” He mutters the name again. Suddenly he remembered everything that happens between them. He remembered how much she meant to her before. Right there and then he decided, he need to find that girl again. He needs to get the love of his life back into his life again.

Next morning, Jaejoong was busy putting his clothes into the suitcase. He’s catching the earliest flight to San Francisco. He cant wait any longer as he longed to see that beautiful girl who’ve won his heart before, the one he cares so much about, to kiss that soft pinkish lips again, to see her limited edition aegyo again. All those thought makes him wishing for time to move faster. To see her again.

Just before he walks out the door of his apartment. He glances back and vows to himself. “I will bring her back home.”

As he close the door, he didn’t realize a pink colored envelope placed on top of the coffee table. An envelope that could’ve change everything if he had opened it a few days before.

Right when he arrived at Sans Francisco, he rented a room at the famous San Francisco hotel. He cant wait any longer as he left his belongings in the room and went straight to Jessica’s house. So many thought came across his mind along the way, what he should say to her, how her reactions would be when she sees him. All the thought just made him feel excited and restless.

He pressed the doorbell once, twice, thrice, but nobody’s coming out. Right then, an old woman saw him and patted his back.

“Young man, are you looking for the owner of this house?”

“Ah, yes. Do you know where they are?”

“Yes, they are at the church a few blocks away for a wedding.”

“Really? Thank you so much!” Jaejoong said smiling widely at the thought of seeing Jessica again. He didn’t even bother to ask whose wedding that the Jung family is attending.

He told the taxi driver his next destination, feeling all giddy and nervous inside to see Jessica again he squeezes his hand together to get rid of his nervousness. When he reached the church, he saw a familiar face, in a beautiful white dress and a veil. He was very much confused but still he walks towards the beautiful lady.

“J-jessica?”

Jessica’s eyes widen as he saw the face of the man standing in front of her. A sad smile formed on her face with teary eyes she said. “Jaejoong.”

“I-I missed you so much.” He said with a bitter smile. Somehow in his heart he already knew what is happening.

“I miss you too.” She said with tears falling down from her eyes.

He held her hand and slightly squeezes it. He didn’t mutter another word except looking at the face he had missed so much.

“You’re too late. You’re twenty five minutes too late.” Jessica said as she squeezes Jaejoong’s hand back. She looks down at their hands, how much she misses her touch. How much she wanted to hold it again,but everything is too late. She’s already someone else’s.

“I’ve sent an invitation to you, 2 weeks earlier in hope that you’ll come to stop me, take me back home to Korea with you. But you never came. Even before I went into the church I was hoping that you’ll be in the crowd calling out my name and run away with me. But it never happened. Even when the priest was asking for anyone to speak their feelings now or forever hold their peace, I was still hoping that you would suddenly appear and claim me as yours. But, you never came.” Jessica said with tears flowing down her cheek.

That pink envelope. Something triggers in his mind. He did saw the pink envelope but he never bothered to open it as he was too busy with his work at that time and forgotten all about it afterwards.

“You chose your work over me again Jae. I’ve missed you so much, and I love you so much. But you’re too late Jae. Goodbye” She said as she let go of his grip. She wipes off her tears and give him a bitter smile. Goodbye my love.

He could still hear her last words echoes in his brain. Before he knew it, he’s already in his hotel room. Looking at the sunset outside of the hotel window. Tears suddenly flows down from his cheek, he kneels down as he cried, holding Jessica’s picture in his hand.

 

But everything is too late..