Chapter VIII

Living in Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[TY POV]

 

I arrive at Yuri's gate at exactly 2 minutes before 7pm. I wouldn't dare to honk my horn or her neighbor will throw eggs at my car again. I'm getting a little impatient since Jessica just texted and said that they are on the way already and if we arrive earlier than them it's "Kitty Pink" for the reservation. Sure is a corny name. I wonder who's with her though, I never asked.

 

I see Yuri running towards my car with a paper bag in hand. At last. She seems to be thoughtful this night that she even prepared a gift. I did not prepare anything. I am enough. (Ha-ha-ha!) She puts the bag at the back first before riding shotgun.

 

"What's that?"

"Something special." She answers in her weird coily-face that's super annoying. "Your nudes."

"Yah!"

Even though Yuri doesn't really say what she's feeling, I can say she's very excited to meet Jessica. They've been friends as well--good friends. Something that reminds me not to be jealous of.

 

 

 

We are heading to a fancy restaurant in which why Yuri and I are quite dressed this evening. I don't want to disappoint their eyes but my closet is full of black-and-whites, my regular pattern. Am never a fan of colors. I choose to be simple and light though black is a heavy one.

Yuri being so pretty in her cute navy-blue dress. The dress looks so short but it's just because her legs are long. Show-off. Good thing my high-waist trousers will make an illusion of me having long-legs too.

I feel weird. I'm not as excited to see her but I'm kind of like...worried? I feel strange. I feel something off. At least I have Yuri with me. Yeah...at least.

 

 

 

I stand before the podium, "Kitty-uh-Pink, please." The waiter nods and goes to assists us to our table. Yuri giggles behind me, "What's with Kitty Pink? Pft!"

I'm trying not to laugh. Oh, please. I just straighten my coat as well as my white blouse underneath. "Shut it. We'll laugh about it later. Shush!" I manage to whisper.

Walking past this fancy red tables with fancy people eating fancy food in small serving amuses me. I think this is just the second time I get to eat at a fancy restaurant. The first time I have in mind is not a good memory.

We are approaching a round table at the corner. I see Jessica is already there fidgeting on her phone. Is she alone? She said 'them'? But anyway. The waiter approaches her first then we got Jessica's attention. Yuri and I walk closer. The closer we get, the more far I feel. Weird.

 

Jessica just stands in front of her seat, and waits for us to get closer. I like how her dress is so conservative. It's mainly black with a white accent. Just my type. I make way for Yuri to greet her first. She hands her the shimmering paper bag and Jessica hugs her "husband". I giggle at the memory. Kwon-seobang!

I want to hug her too! But my body just won't move forward so I just awkwardly greet her a simple 'Hello' while I shyly tuck my hair in my ear. I have my hair up in a bun, now I feel shy because I can sense that I'm getting a bit...red. The waiter courteously ask for my coat, leaving me with my silky white tank top. I turn around to fix my chair behind me.

"Oh? You have a tattoo?"

I hear Jessica ask behind.

"Oh," I place my hand over the back of my neck just where it is. "Yeah."

"What does it say?" She asks again.

Before I let out an answer, I glance at Yuri and sees her making cringy reactions that makes me want to knock her head hard.

"Purpose."

"Awesome! Looks great." She exclaims.

Just as we settle down around the table, a woman comes smiling bright. She makes her way towards Jessica then looks at us. "I'm sorry, I was just in the ladies' room."

"Wait," I see a very a familiar face. She's dressed down in baby pink. Oooh, I think I know you. "Tiffany? Tiffany Hwang? Am I....right?"

"Oh, well, yes," A slight pause. "Kim Taeyeon."

Yuri is confused. "Am I missing something here?"

"You are missing." I joke. We share our laughs lightly. Tiffany extends her arm to reach Yuri as they introduces themselves to each other. I remember Yuri wasn't in our Performing Arts classes which Jessica, Tiffany, and I were in before.

 

Everybody's settled down now. Tiffany is seated at left side of Jessica. I am seated opposite of Jessica and in my right is Yuri. It feels like we're back in college days.


Three of them are engaged in a casual conversation that I don't understand any of the words they're saying. It's weird that I hear murmurs instead of actual words. I am focusing on Jessica and Tiffany's gestures to each other that makes me wonder if there is something going on between them. Along side Yuri's question earlier this afternoon: "Is Jessica even single?" that burns in my head. I'm ready to interrupt because my blood is boiling with jealousy. Just then, Jessica meets my eyes.

 

"Taeyeon? Are you okay? You're zoning out." She asks worriedly and tries to reach my hand over the table.

"Hey," Tiffany interrupts. "Zoning out is also Jessi's talent! She did it a lot during lunch breaks in SanFo."

I fake a giggle. Like I care a lot about what happened where. Tch. I compose myself.

"Tiffany, we all thought you were just going for a vacation that spring break. We waited for you. The class wasn't really the same without you."

"Why? Was it oh-so-quiet?" Tiffany chuckles.

"Yes. It was so boring." Jessica adds.

 

I look at Jessica's reaction when she said that. She is pouting and I am annoyed. Tiffany responds in such a cringy way while Yuri seems to be enjoying their public display of affection. What's with these two?

"So how did you and Jessica meet again? We've lost contact with you the day you left." I ask sternly.

"Ah, we bumped into each other at the university in SanFo. That's where our friendship continued after 3 years. Wait...I think fate is playing with us, Jessi." They bump fists. "Now, we're working in the same company. Coincidentally."

I really can't take what I'm hearing though I have to be okay, "Awesome! Cheers to that!" I raise up my glass of wine and proposes a toast.

"You seemed to be very close now," I continue with a purpose of getting much more information. I am desperate. "Almost as if you're dating." I nervously whisper then I take a sip of this bloody wine as I glance over Jessica who has her eyes on me as I said that.

"As if." Jessica makes the atmosphere grow a little bit colder.

Yuri knocks my foot with her foo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter