Chapter 9 - Let's go play

Oh NaNa (A Bmin fanfiction)

 

"YOU WHAT?" Taehyung shrieks, Matthew is pretty sure his eardrums are now damaged permanently. The two best friends are currently walking or more like running to school. First period had started fifteen minutes ago and it will take about ten more minutes for them to get into class. BM was asleep until he woke up to Taehyung banging his room’s door, Taehyung knew where the spare key to the front door is and had let himself in after a good five minutes of waiting for his best friend to open the door.

 

The revelation of his feelings and the events of the previous day, kept BM up until 4 am and to make sure he would be late to class, he forgot to charge his dead phone which also works as his alarm clock. But good thing he’s a dude or the two of them would not be here, all he needs to do is brush his teeth, change clothes, grab his bag and a pair of shoes and he’s good to go, no need to think about anything.

 

"I KISSED HER.” Matthew shouts back, continuing their ongoing loud conversation. It would have been impossible to keep his thoughts by himself. He and Taehyung have been friends for a long time, they know each other like the backs of their hands. Besides he needs to went, he is still a little freaked out about his crush on his best friend or friend, he isn’t really sure which.

 

"HOW THE HECK DID YOU MANAGE TO DO THAT?!” Taehyung’s eyes are the widest Matthew has ever seen them be, he can even see the little pink veins in his eyeballs. To be honest, he doesn’t know how to answer. How did he manage to do the one thing that seemed and still seems impossible?

 

"I don’t know it just happened, it was a spur of the moment?” BM voices out the last sentence as more of a question than an answer. He looks to his left and notices the old lady from yesterday, once again behind the counter serving a customer, a suited man this time. BM quickly averts his gaze elsewhere and picks up his space right at his best friends heels who is more eager to get in class as fast as possible. Unlike him who is too tired to care and they are already late, it wouldn’t make any difference anyways.

 

"Spur of the moment?! You call kissing the goddess of the school a spur of the moment?” Taehyung asks him breathlessly, clearly questioning his best friends sanity in his mind. Matthew doesn’t blame him though, he too would, and does question his sanity. There is nothing wrong in liking Somin more than as a friend, besides the point that they are and will stay as friends, he’s surprised he didn’t start crushing on her since the day they bumped into each other. Yeah, he was probably attracted to her since day one but how could you not be at least a little attracted to her. Okay, his smitten best friend probably isn’t, he’s got it bad for his girlfriend.

 

"So, you like her?” Taehyung who noticed that he wouldn’t get an answer to his earlier question, asks another one, this time completely serious. The two of them have now stepped on school grounds and proceed to walk toward the dreadful building, also known as the synonym for school.

 

Matthew thinks for a while before settling on a proper answer, “Yeah, I do. You know? She is so damn beautiful.”. Any other person would think that he is a superficial person for saying that but Taehyung knows better. He knows that his best friend is talking about more than just looks. The black haired male has also seen the way he looks at Somin, the way he acts around her and above all, he has seen them together.

 

The sound of the of their classmates rambling can be heard through the classroom door where the two males are now standing in front of. The two best friends look at each other with eager eyes and immediately open the door, the absence of a certain teacher greets them merrily. If it is a history class and students are talking about whatever, it means that Mr. Lee is absent and there is a substitute who is too scared or lazy to mark anyone anything. The other students briefly turn to look at the newcomers before continuing on with their conversations, a few girls linger their gazes on them longer than what is considered as appropriate. The substitute just glances uninterested as they make their way to their usual seats. There are instructions reflected on the whiteboard in front of the class but it is clear that most of the students aren’t doing the assigned work. BM parks his behind on his seat and rests his head on the desk. He is too tired to care about school and do the homework he had left undone yesterday, so he decides to use the final minutes of first period on some well-needed sleep.

 

๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑

 

"Next time you oversleep, I’m not going to wake you up. Because of you I couldn’t spend time with Jiwoo before classes and now she’s upset with me.” Taehyung complains loudly next to him as they make their way through the crowded hallway. He couldn’t care less about how his best friend is going to get a beating from the said girl. He is tired and the fact that he will soon see a certain girl, is a more prominent thought in his mind currently, though not enough to let this opportunity to mess with his best friend go.

 

"Come on, now you just think highly of yourself.” BM snorts at the offended look displayed across Taehyung’s face. Taehyung shoves BM, sending him stumbling into a group of girls very ungracefully. It’s Taehyung’s turn to snort this time as he uses his famous foreign charm on the girls while apologising. He turns around, expecting to see Taehyung laughing his off, only to meet his absence.

 

"Coffee!!” Damn.

 

BM follows Taehyung’s loud hollering voice just in time to see Jiwoo being squished by the latter. Matthew saunters towards his group of friends, that currently consists of the power couple, he and Somin are probably the only ones calling them that, himself and the school’s ultimate crush, which isn’t all that she is.

He rubs his eyes, the wave of fatigue hitting him once again.

 

"Woah, someone had a sleepless night. What did you have a nightmare?” Jiwoo remarks wittily, clearly amused, something which Matthew does not understand. There is nothing amusing about being tired to the hilt and almost falling asleep, in school, when all you want to do is get back to your own comfy kingdom that you call your bed.

 

"Ha ha very funny.” Matthew scowls at the pink haired girl who is currently mastering the art of ignoring.

 

"Are you okay?” A voice talks up, breaking his glare streak. A petite form comes into his line of vision, concern reflected on those beautiful amber eyes. In front of her, BM can’t help but feel nervous. The gold in her semi-long hair has by now faded mostly, making her hair brownish with some highlights. Now days he doesn’t look at Somin like he did before he got to know her. She was and still is the most beautiful person he has ever seen. He already had a pretty good hunch about what kind of a person she is, but after they became friends he found that she was much more than what his hunch told him and now, she is just stunning in his eyes.

 

BM clears his slightly stuffed throat, at the same time clearing up his head. “Yeah, just a little tired. Did you… Um, did you get the muffin.”  He asks tentatively, voice a little raspy. Yesterday’s events still run through his mind and he thinks Somin’s too, he hopes that he’s right. He hopes that she really was passed out when it happened her and that she doesn’t or won’t know a thing.

 

"Yes, thank you. It was very good and I’m sorry you had to carry me home.” A small awkward smile finds it’s way on her lips. Amber eyes pierce his under those long black eyelashes. He almost forgets the fact that the girl in front of him said something, too busy thinking and watching the said girl.

 

"It’s no problem, no need to apologise. Also you’re very light so I wasn’t bothered at all.” Through the haze that is his thoughts he manages to answer with a sentence that actually makes sense. From the corner of his eye, he can see his best friend eyeing him cautiously. It seems like Jiwoo and Tae have decided where they should go have lunch, took them long enough, probably flirted half of the time.

 

"Yah! Let’s go to the coffee shop.” Jiwoo shouts from the end of the hallway, gaining their attention. Somin seems a little out of it, which is understandable, considering that everyone pretty much saw what happened and what she had to go through. He hasn’t seen Bobby all day and if the universe will be kind to Bobby he won’t have to see him at all during the remaining hours of school. That would just make his day.

 

"Let’s go.” Matthew can finally feel the fatigue slowly dissipating from his body, although he is pretty sure that the minute he gets home he’ll crash on his bed for the rest of the day. Jiwoo and Taehyung are already out the door leaving him and Somin to catch up to them. Well they don’t have a lot of time left until next class, they’ll probably just grab something on the go and eat on their way back from the coffee shop.

 

The coffee shop.

 

.

 

๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑

 

"Um, I’ll just stay outside and wait for you guys.” BM looks at the other three who are now staring at him like he has grown a second head. He just smiles lightly, he tries to play it cool but he can feel sweat forming on his forehead. The group of friends are now standing in front of the coffee shop, they were about to go in but his announcement stopped all of them doing that. BM can see the old lady from yesterday behind the counter, her back is facing the front. He hopes to god that she won’t see him or all hell will break lose, at least to some extent.

 

" Okay…. Don’t you want anything? Aren’t you hungry.” Jiwoo asks eyebrows furrowed clearly as confused as their other friends. Taehyung wonders what the heck is wrong with his best friend, who is usually always hungry, especially during lunchtime. Never in these many years that he has known him, has he rejected food.

 

" You didn’t even have breakfast.” Taehyung points out. Matthew doesn’t notice how Somin’s eyes widen with a hint of sadness at the words. He looks behind his best friends only to see that the old lady is nowhere to be seen.

 

" Oh, are you kids coming in?” A voice speaks up startling all of them out of their skins. Matthew almost lets out a not so manly scream, he looks at the source of the voice only to catch the eyes of the old lady. The rest of the group greet her politely, having some small talk before moving to get inside. BM decides to stick to his decision and stays on his roots. Taehyung stops walking abruptly and turns around.

 

" Are you sure you don’t want anything?” Taehyung asks, just to make sure that his best friend really does want to go on a hunger strike. Wrinkled ears catch the question intended to the abnormally tall guy.

 

" Young man don’t be silly, come inside away from the cold I’m sure your girlfriend here wouldn’t like you to leave her alone.” The old lady says sweetly to the basketball player, gesturing towards a certain beauty. Jiwoo’s eyebrows draw together. Taehyung’s mouth opens so wide that flies could easily fly in. Somin’s eyes widen as large as plates. BM opens and closes his mouth like a fish, eyes bulging out of their sockets. All of them turn to look at Somin simultaneously. Alarmed Somin turns to look at Matthew.

 

" I said that we are not dating!” He hisses to the shopkeeper, BM narrows his eyes at the hint of mischief glinting in her eyes and it is in that moment, does he realise what the lady is playing at.

 

 

" Oh sweet heart, your boyfriend here was very shy yesterday when he talked about you. He wouldn’t stop blushing.” The aged woman turns to Somin and moves her arms animatedly as she continues to explain to her what happened yesterday in the cafe after sleeping beauty and her prince entered the cafe. Somin’s cheeks turn pink at the quite endearing story. She looks towards her prince, who in return mouths words of advice, Don’t listen to her. Matthew wants to interfere once more but he is sure that if he did that, he will regret it later as the old lady tells more lies. He does not understand how old ladies at first are the sweetest raisins in the world and then unexpectedly start to ruin people’s lives. Don’t they have socks to knit or their own children to call and embarrass instead.

 

They all step into the cafe, the lady still babbling on as she steps behind the counter. BM stays in the background, he distracts himself with the small paintings on the wall, far away from Somin. He hopes to keep things as less awkward as possible this way, only to miss the disappointment flash across Somin’s face as she glances back at him. She quickly redeems herself and keeps her happy facade on. The elderly hasn’t ever missed a thing in her own cafe and this time is no different.

 

Eventually, they get to order their food. Without BM noticing, as Somin orders her lunch something catches her eye. It’s the same muffin she was eating this morning. She looks up from the display case when a pair of hands reaches in to take out the goody. Young but old eyes meet her’s, silent words are exchanged between them. A paper bag containing her fresh order and a muffin is handed to her with gentle hands and a contagious smile. Somin looks behind her, at the guy who continues to look around the well-decorated cafe with narrowed eyes as if he’s contemplating something. She thanks the lady in front of her with a natural but blinding smile before turning around and stepping aside to let her friends order.

 

Somin walks determined towards her tall friend and stops right behind him. She takes a deep breath and taps Matthews shoulder to gain his attention. The latter turns to face her, his expression too adorable in Somin’s opinion. She takes the banana muffin out of the bag and s it in Matthews' hand. His eyebrows are raised, the left eyebrow is slightly crooked compared to the other one, Somin notices. She wonders how she didn’t notice it before, although it is a small detail of many, they are something many won’t ever notice. Somin feels her cheeks flare up at the thought, how she notices these small things that seem meaningless for some but for her they are something she wants to keep finding and cherishing.

 

"Here, you didn’t have breakfast so eat this.” She ducks her head down to hide her reddened cheeks. The distance between them subsidies as Matthew has to strain his neck to hear her small voice, the petite girl turns flustered suddenly when images from before run through her mind. The tall male continues to look at the beauty in front of him, not able to keep his gaze away he opts to just taking in every detail that meets his eyes. The smooth slope of her nose, the long dark lashes that adorn her deep amber eyes, her smooth unblemished skin, her short stature, her petite form, her everything that he has already more than once before memorized.

 

After a good while, Somin finally feels the redness in her cheeks ease off, she looks up, gasping internally at the dark brown orbs that greet her amber ones. The distance between them much smaller than she expected. He quickly takes a step back and puts more distance between them, once again he got carried away and to top it off, he got caught. Matthew thanks her, genuinely pleased with the thoughtful action and the fact that the person who he has feelings for, gave it to him. He tries to act as normal as possible, and treat Somin the way she deserves to be treated, be there for her, like a good friend, the way it should be.

 

Somin watches him take a step back, the warmth she felt in her cheeks and insides long forgotten as she out of the blue feels crestfallen. She knows the reason why, it is the same thing she has longed for, for the last couple of months. She wants to have him close, have his firm chest to lean on, feel the strong arms wrapped around her waist once again like the first time they bumped into each other, have the same feeling in her gut that told her she was protected. But the object of her affection and attention, the reason why for a while she hasn’t gotten any confessions that would give her nothing but an empty aftermath, doesn’t, unfortunately, return her desired feelings. Somin doesn’t know if she really wants anything to change, she is happy the way things are now, she shouldn’t dwell on anything further, they get along well so why ruin anything when she can be in his company. Somin decides to put her feelings on the side to let things continue the way they should.

 

The owner of the shop has followed the pair’s actions, not missing the slightest detail, from the boy’s step back, to the dejection shown for a brief second on the girl’s face like it was never there. A small curve lifts on the corner of the lady’s lips, it is for the same reasons any other person would smile for when having seen the pair.

 

๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑

 

" Where did your balls go? If you had your balls, we wouldn’t probably have to be here!” Somin whispers harshly to BM and Taehyung who are now currently trying to open the window to the outdoor sports equipment storage. They are currently in school grounds, in the middle of the night, trying to break in and borrow a basketball from the equipment storage behind the school in hope of being able to play a round of shoulderball. Are her friends insane? Somin likes to think they are. BM tries to push the window open, the old hinges creak in dismay, the loud sound breaking through the silent air. He gives it a final push before the window flies open, granting them entrance.

 

"Good work man.” Taehyung congratulates his tall best friend on his accomplishment. Somin whines audibly, her best friend just snorts before turning back into stoic mode. Jiwoo clears loudly, gaining the attention of the two boys who were a second ago squealing in a manly way, so not manly at all.

 

"How are we going to get the ball? The window’s too small.” Jiwoo points out in a monotone voice. Taehyung and Matthew furrow their brows as they stare up at the opened window. The opening on top of the door is wide but small, Matthew couldn’t fit there even if he tried and gave it his everything, but it is just big enough to fit a girl inside. Good thing they’ve two. BM turns back to the girls and beckons them to come closer, Taehyung comes to stand next to him seeming to have gotten the same idea.

 

He turns his head left and right as if he makes sure that no one else will hear his plan, which is pointless to do considering the time of the night and that they are the only ones there.

 

" One of you two will have to go in there.” Jiwoo shoots down the words just as fast as they came out of the giant’s mouth by hitting Matthew in the back of his head, despite their significant height difference. She turns to face her boyfriend with a snarl, she takes a step closer to him and stares at him right in the eyes, her eyes flaming and dangerous.

 

" What do you think we should do?” Her voice low and tense as she articulates every word slowly,  just to make sure his boyfriend understands the danger of the current situation at hand. Taehyung’s adam’s apple bobs visibly as he swallows thickly, he has never been this scared in his life as he is now as Jiwoo snarls at him.

 

" I think Somin should go. She is shorter after all.” Taehyung squeaks out to please his girlfriend. He doesn’t particularly wish to be the reason for his girlfriend’s inner angry koala’s release.

 

"What has height got anything to do with this?” Somin asks bewildered, not liking how things have turned out. She doesn’t know how to climb through a window, she never has climbed through a window and never thought she would need to climb through a window. Why would someone climb through a window?! She and Jiwoo have done a lot of wacky things but climbing through a window is not one of them.

 

"It doesn’t.” Is all the sympathy she gets before she is ushered to climb on BM’s shoulders. Now here she is breaking an entering through an open window, at eighteen years old since almost two months ago, an adult in the eyes of the law, breaking a law. Even so, Somin is still very much a child.

 

" Oh my god seriously why didn’t any of you take a ball with you if we had agreed to play tonight?” Somin shouts as she is lowered a little more, her hand coming closer and closer to the handle, her legs dangling on the other side as she balances herself on the windowsill under her hips. Her head starts to ache from all the blood flowing into her head for hanging upside down too long. Large hands hold onto her thighs keeping her in place.

 

"You doing okay?” BM asks wary, the petite girl seeming to slip more and more from his hold to get lower. Somin replies with a reassuring yeah! Before she asks him to lower her more. Matthew hesitates as he relents and his hands slip down from her thighs to hold her from her hamstrings, allowing Somin to go lower. She squeaks in triumph as her hand finally reaches the one thing keeping them and the balls apart. Somin unlocks the door, her friends holler loudly as their somewhat mission impossible is a success. Jiwoo slides inside through the small gap and looks up at Somin’s current situation the older one smiling cheekily despite the position she is in, the two best friends laugh together. Hanging from a window frame which is very high up compared to her short height isn’t surprisingly scary at all, it’s like playing with your friends, it’s entertaining.


 

After the laughter dwindles down, the petite girl still hanging on the window frame requests to be put down someway or another. Somin did think of different ways on how to get down but didn’t get to the decision making part of the process. A familiar pair of hands she memorized for forever the moment they first touched her, slide up the sides of her thighs to her hips, tightening their hold. BM slowly starts to pull Somin back, she grabs onto the window preventing the hard wood from hitting and hurting her.

 

In a brief moment she is set down back on the ground, the hands that she wishes to stay there forever unwind, only tingles are left on their traces. Somin wonders when will be the next time she can experience the warming tingles once again, soon is what she hopes. A tall figure comes to stand next to her, she looks up, brown eyes meet piercing ambers.

 

Let’s go play.”


 

๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔

 

KARD is going to have a comeback today and oh god I CANNOT handle it. Also who is also excited about all the shipping material we are going to get ;)

 

On another note, it’s been a long time since I last updated. The reason being that I am not as healthy as I once was. These past few months I have had trouble with eating, there was even a point where I did not want to or could not eat. I lost a lot of weight in a very unhealthy short period of time. But I’m working on getting healthy and happy. I have had quite a lot of stress because of this problem and my future, yeah I have to start to plan what I am going to do next.

 

 

Also I have gotten so many ideas for this book and decided to make this longer than I first thought. It won’t be too long, I promise.

 

Sorry for the boring chapter but I have a feeling you’ll have more to read soon, as I said many, many ideas ;)

 

Till next time

 

Eskay