o19

Behind Bars

After a very well deserved lunch after all of the chaotic and intense working, they take a walk to Taeil’s farm. Because the way there from the barn isn’t that long, actually. 

”I can’t believe you guys milked Rosa without my permission,” Hansol glares at Ten and Johnny, who took advantage of the sweeping to play around instead. Which gave the others more to clean.

”Her s looked like they were on the verge of exploding, she needed it!” Ten claims while Hansol almost breaks down crying for his choice of words. 

Inhye didn’t like cleaning. In fact she kind of hated it. But somehow, cleaning with this group of people made it a lot more fun than usual. Doyoung constantly complaining to Jaehyun about how much extra work he is getting by Ten and Johnny being idiots, Jaehyun rolling his eyes to Kun who nods, Sicheng diligently cleaning, Yuta cracking jokes, Hansol laughing at them and joining with his own, Taeyong’s complaining about how dirty it is but still cleaning just as diligently as Sicheng.

”Seriously,” Taeyong muttered as he swept away the pile of dust Inhye had done. ”Sicheng is the only one I like here. Remind me to buy him some ice cream.”

Inhye chuckled, patted Taeyong’s arm. ”What about me? Don’t you like me?”

”No? I thought I made that clear when I said that ‘Sicheng is the only one I like here’. Is your name Sicheng, perhaps?”

”What the , Taeyong?” fortunately her voice showed that she understood his sarcasm. Girls are scary, you never know if they’ll take your jokes seriously or not.

In frustration Taeyong pointed at all the piles Inhye had made with his whole palm. ”There are several piles but please do something about them before-”

Catch me if you can, Johnny boy~!

Then Ten had run right through all of them, Johnny following suit.

”~that happens,” Taeyong had finished his sentence with a sigh.

So the cleaning took way longer than expected; they ate lunch as late as around 3 p.m. Once again; thank God for Jaehyun. Seriously. Without him, there would be no lunch. So now they're here; walking towards Taeil’s house - Johnny with four boards thrown over his shoulder and Ten with white paint and brushes in his hands. For once, those two are doing something effectively.

”I’m proud of you,” Johnny tells Inhye as they’re walking.

”About what?” she asks as Johnny is waiting for the question.

”You melt in so well amongst us guys.”

”I’m gonna take that as an insult.”

”Never said that it wasn’t.”

Inhye laughs. ”I’m glad, though. I was afraid of being a nuisance to you all.”

”Never said you weren’t.”

”There you are, you little rats!” In front of them, the very well known Moon Taeil is now walking towards them to save Inhye from having to answer Johnny's burn. ”You better be here to fix my fence.”

”Nah,” Johnny answers in a sarcastic voice. ”Just taking a stroll with four boards thrown over my shoulder. What the dude, of course we’re here to fix your ing fence!”

Doyoung walks past all of them to greet his friend, complaining vocally about how Hansol dictated them to clean his whole farm. And his farm is, as said many times before, huge. It’s literally bigger than some of South Korea’s cities. Or well, not the whole farm but the overall surface area of the grounds and forrests that he owns.

Then Yuta proceeds to formally introduce himself to Taeil, cracking a few jokes already and you could impossibly tell that these two people only met once before (and that was when they crashed into his fence). Inhye also decides to greet Taeil, apologizing for their first meeting being a disaster, then Taeil explaining that she does not need to worry about it since it can’t be helped that Ten and Johnny are idiots. 

Speaking of which, those two are now playfully fixing the fence. Johnny nails the boards carefully with a hammer, then Ten starts painting them. Since they have a good pair of brushes, Sicheng decides to join in and help with the painting. Which is much appreciated by Ten (because that boy is lazy as ).

”This is the fourth time these guys have ruined my fence,” Taeil sighs, suspiciously watching Ten and Johnny to make sure they don’t do anything stupid. It's obvious that he is experienced with this and been through it a lot in the past. ”And once they even threw paper rolls at my house? It wasn’t even trick or treat, they just did it for no God damn reason.”

”Actually, you joined us once,” Taeyong corrects. It must’ve been that one summer when Taeyong was with them, Inhye thinks for herself. Well, obviously, since that’s his only summer here.

”Yeah, because you guys had me so ing drunk that I thought it was Hansol’s house we were crashing.”

Taeyong chuckles, earns a playful punch on the arm by Taeil.

”Taeilie hyung~” Ten’s sudden whine interrupts their conversation. ”Tonight, you’ll sleep with us, right?”

The look of pure horror on Taeil’s face is enough to make Inhye choke down an unflattering laughter. ”Sleep with you? Aw hell no, would rather sleep in the lake.”

”If you don’t sleep with us...” Johnny decides to save Ten’s huge mouth. ”...We will ruin your fence again.”

”What?! That doesn’t make any sort of sense!”

”Do you want your fence or not?” Johnny threateningly lifts the hammer, as if he’s going to break the newly painted board in two.

”Well... Yes.”

”Good, then as soon as we’re finished; let’s return to the barn,” Johnny declares and Taeil doesn’t even look the least hurt or surprised nor confused; the poor guy is used to it. He just accepted his horrible fate.

”I wanna take a dip in the Busan ocean, though!” Ten exclaims, flails in the air with the brush so that some white paint got onto Johnny’s left cheek. Damn, why did Taeil mention a lake, of course Ten wants to take a dip now.

And just a few minutes later there is a huge white handprint on Ten’s left cheek. His cheek that is. 

”That’s it, I can't stand these two love birds anymore,” Doyoung takes off his cap, makes an action as if he’s about to throw it onto the ground but realizes in the last moment that it’s too precious. ”I can’t do this. Take me back to Seoul.”

Taeil sighs and almost cries as Ten presses his feet on the board with wet paint to leave a mark on his creation.

”Too late my friend, you're stuck here with us~” Ten teasingly answers Doyoung.

 •  •  •

They did actually go to the ocean as soon as Taeil’s poor fence was fixed (it took way too long because Ten and Johnny continuously ruined everything agian after they had finished and had to start over). Neither of them had taken their swimwear with them to Busan (with the exception of Hansol and Taeil who lives here so of course their swimwear is here, but ironically both of them refuses to jump into the water because of the cool weather), but Ten and Johnny came up with the awesome excuse that their clothes where already dirty after the board painting; that they had to change their clothes nyway. A.k.a, they will swim with their clothes on. Great idea.

Kun also joined, because he is adventurous, young and wild. Yuta too, and even Jaehyun wanted to join. That left Inhye, Taeil, Hansol, Taeyong, Doyoung and Sicheng on the beach, watching the others peacefully. Well, at least for a while. Johnny and Ten managed to catch Doyoung's arms and legs; threw him into the water and the peace was broken.

”Rip Doyoung,” Inhye thinks out loud. 

Taeyong on her left laughs. ”Yeah, he is their biggest victim.”

”You don't want to swim?”

Taeyong shakes his head, like a child denying eating the vegetables. ”Too cold, and getting sand everywhere doesn’t sound like any fun when the shower here barely works. And my poor clothes, it’d take days for them to dry completly.”

”How wimpy,” Inhye grins.

”Says the one who isn’t in the water?”

”I’d freeze to death during the night.”

 

And that’s actually what happens to the poor drenched souls. As night crawls upon them, those who decided to take a little dip; are the ones whose teeth are chattering. They gathered around a weak, tiny candle as if it was a campfire; the manly pride totally dropped as they rolled around as burritos in their blankets.

Poor Doyoung didn’t do anything wrong but he’s also in that state. ”I-I a-alw-ways reg-gret c-coming t-to B-B-Busan,” he manages to say between his aggressive teeth chattering.

Jaehyun rises from his seat; apparently not really affected by the cold water. Indeed a macho American man. ”Hold on, I’ll get you a heat pack from Hansol’s house.”

”G-Get m-me one t-too,” Ten, who is sitting in Johnny’s lap with a blanket thrown around the two of them, manages to speak out but Jaehyun doesn’t hear it. Or he might have heard, but simply decided to ignore it.

”I like that guy,” Taeyong comments, only loud enough for Inhye’s ears to hear. 

”Yeah, he’s pretty.”

”I didn’t mean his face, stupid.”

”If y’all catch a cold the day before the party I’ll seriously never host this stupid tradition thing ever again,” Hansol points at all of those who are shaking in their blankets.

”What did I do?!” Doyoung cries out.

”I saw that you dung talked my sheep, don’t deny it!” -(Dung talked.  talked. Wow, Inhye is catching up to these Busan phrases. Took about a week only" she thinks for herself).

During their argument, Yuta’s head suddenly meets Inhye’s shoulder. She hadn’t noticed the fact that he’s sitting on her other side, so the contact made her jump out of her skin. First, her heart flutters a tiny bit. Because it’s nice in the moment. Then, her mind tells her to push him away. Because even if the atmosphere and all is great in the barn, she hates the guy to the guts when she thinks about their past. Just as she’s about to shake him off, he speaks.

”I’m so-so cold,” he whispers. ”This was a stupid idea. Whose idea was it?”

Inhye smiles a bit, tries hard ignores the fact that it’s Yuta. Only for a while. Only here in front of everybody. Only here in Busan. After all, all of her worries were supposed to stay in Seoul. Yuta is one of them. Yuta was more or less her biggest worry before she decided to fake her identity and up her life. ”Does that matter, when you agreed to it?”

”Don’t live like that,” Yuta moans, buries himself deeper into his blanket. ”Ugh, it feels like I won’t ever feel warm ever again.”

”Do you want my cardigan?” Inhye offers, she doesn’t know why the question just naturally left her lips before she could grasp the situation. She can feel Yuta nod against her shoulder.

Carefully, she takes it off and throws it on the blanket around Yuta's shoulders. It won’t help, not at all, there’s no way. Even so, Yuta sighs happily. ”So much better.”

”Liar.”

Then he angles his head, slightly, so his lips are towards her ear. He whispers, ”If you don’t hate it too much... Can I keep it during the night? I’ve missed you a lot...”

No. Say no. Inhye, don’t let him. First of all, he didn’t miss you, he literally stopped answering you as if you were a nobody to him after dating for three whole years. You’re not that easy. You’re strong, you’re an independent woman who doesn’t fall for pretty men with teeth so shiny that the sun gets jealous, with a smile so pretty that you can feel it sting in your heart, who hurt you so badly yet being unable to hate as much as you want to because it’d feel selfish to ruin ten other guys midsummer just because you were too boring to date and -

it. 

She nods, but that’s not because she’s given in. It’s more because of a vague memory of yesterday’s night. Carefully, she whispers back at him. 

”If that’ll make you leave me alone this night.”


Thank you all so much for the support I've gotten so far, and I hope you'll stay with me and Inhye until the end of this story~ Please up-vote, comment, subscribe (if you haven't already) and as usual, most importantly; enjoy~!