o13

Behind Bars

”This is getting ridiculous,” Johnny runs a frustrated hand through his hair with a loud sigh, scratching the back of his head.

”What is?” Inhye grins and collects the cards, along with the fake coins from the table. Because of some sudden summer rain, they couldn’t go out and play after eating their breakfast. So Johnny had suggested to play some poker (whereas the others had complained that he always wins and that it’s not fun anymore) with fake money (because with the exception of Ten; they are all broke) in the wait for Jaehyun and Doyoung, which resulted with the five of them gathering around Hansol’s dining table.

”You’re dangerously good at playing poker, did you know that?” Johnny’s unfamiliarity to losing and his frustration over it is apparently very hilarious to Ten, as the younger laughs loudly and hits him on the back. Johnny is so busy with being frustrated that he barely noticed. ”No, really Inhye, you could totally become a millionaire by playing poker. Hell, for all these years we have just played around but here you come and turn the tables with a royal flush? A ing royal flush? I’ve played lots of poker in my days, but a ing goddamn royal flush? Seriously?”

Ten joins the conversation, with his huge smile almost eating up his face. ”Inhye-sshi~,” he ing giggles. ”He’s just jealous. He has always been the best at poker. Even in America, he was the game king. He rules the casinos there. They call him Johnny Bond.”

Inhye smiles (and cringes), shuffles the cards professionally. If there is anything she’s good at, it’s poker, heck any different type of card game. She’s a good liar, she can totally pull off the poker face mask without effort. ”Wanna play another round?”

”Aw hell no,” Johnny rises from his seat, a loud whine leaves Ten’s lips as he does. Johnny shudders. ”I was actually going to suggest playing strip poker, but that would just be humiliating for my part.”

Inhye shakes her head in amusement. She met Johnny for the first time a very few weeks ago and only start to get to know him one or two days ago, but it feels like she has known him since forever. He is way too comfortable around her, which makes her way too comfortable around him. Same goes for Ten.

”I didn’t know you played poker?” Taeyong, who is seated next to her, questions and grins softly.

”You didn’t ask,” Inhye answers and puts back the cards into their package with a mischievous smile. 

”Woah, as expected of my lawyer,” Taeyong scans her shortly before leaning his head into his palm. ”How could I ever doubt you?”

”Ey,” Hansol pouts suddenly. Inhye had almost forgotten his existence, the blond had surprisingly little presence. ”Why are you doubting Inhye?”

”Because he is stupid and shallow,” Inhye comments and passes the cards back to it’s rightful owner, aka Ji Hansol, who puts them away in a cabinet.

”Hey, that was back then,” Taeyong tries to defend himself, but by now no one is listening. Instead, he rises from his chair and decides to do the dishes from their breakfast. Inhye is surprised to see this side of him. Not only did he do the dishes, he was actually responsible for the breakfast. When Inhye had woken up, she went downstair to find Taeyong fry some eggs and newly roasted toast lying in the basket on the table. Hansol was also seated around the table, drinking some freshly pressed juice. Inhye had found the scene cute, but sadly they got interrupted by Ten and Johnny a little too soon. Apparently, neither of them knew how to cook and Taeyong knew it. Because he had fried five eggs. Inhye found it charming how well he knew his friends.

”Inhye-sshi~,” Ten’s somewhat nasal voice woke her up from her thoughts. ”Johnny and I are going to my house to play some Mario Cart while Taeyong do the dishes and Hansol waters the plants. Do you wanna join?”

Inhye throws a quick glance at Taeyong’s washing back. Even though playing Mario Cart with Ten and Johnny sounds like a hella lotta fun (God is she a hoe for Mario Cart), she feels like it’s her duty to be on Taeyong’s side. If it’s because she feels protectiveness, or because Inseong’s words to never leave his side are drilled into her mind, she doesn’t know. But leaving Taeyong feels too much of a burden to her.

”I’ll join with Taeyong after helping him with the dishes,” is her final conclusion and then Johnny, Hansol and Ten all leave the room.

Taeyong had obviously been way too caught up in the dishes to notice that they all had left. He turns around with a surprising look in the now quiet room, before his gaze locks with Inhye’s.

”Did you notice how goddamn quiet this room became as soon as Ten and Johnny left it?” is the first thing he says and Inhye breaks out laughing, but doesn’t deny it. He was right why did they talk so damn much.

”Do you need help with the dishes?” Inhye offers and Taeyong seems to be thinking.

”Maybe you could dry them and put them back?”

So Inhye starts to wipe them of with a towel. She is amazed by how quickly but thoroughly Taeyong washes the dishes. They are completely clean, even though he washes them quicker than Inhye when she is being sloppy. 

”Are you some kind of clean freak?” Inhye finally asks, laughs a little as she puts away the plates.

”You could call it that, yeah,” Taeyong answers.

”I didn’t know you were this obsessed with cleanness?”

”You didn’t ask~.” 

Inhye pouts as she realises that he is mimicking her answer to his poker question. 

”Are you nervous?” she changes the subject instead.

”About what?”

”Doyoung and Jaehyun, it’s your first time meeting them, right?”

Taeyong nods. ”Truthfully, I was a little worried about the fact that these guys are all close friends to my close friends, while I don’t even know them. But now I’m feeling... Kind of at ease?”

”Really,” Inhye widens her eyes. ”Why?”

”Because I have you.” 

Taeyong realises how wrongly romantic that sounded as soon as the sentence is out of his lips. He hushes Inhye’s laughing before he tries to save his . ”I didn’t mean it like that, stupid! I mean that I have you, who I know but they don’t. So I’m not fully alone.”

”Because you have me,” Inhye teases him. As a punishment, she gets soap from the dishes on her nose.

Shut up.”

•  •  •

After too many rounds of Mario Cart with Hansol being the last one every leap, Ten gets the sudden urge to go out a little. Because that kid can’t sit still for more than 10 minutes without getting restless. So they went out, took a stroll around the paddocks with horses and all kinds of other animals before returning back. It took way longer than it sounds, since Ten firstly wanted to pet them all, then Hansol wanted to take pictures of them all (and once again tell them their names) and Taeyong had to stop every two meters to get rid of stones in his shoes.

When they return, Inhye is the first one to notice two unfamiliar faces, leaning against Hansol’s fence. Both of them being tall and lean looking (yet still shorter than Johnny), although one of them is a bit shorter than the other. She jerks Hansol’s sleeve to get his attention.

”Hey...” she begins. ”Are those two, by any chance, Jae-”

”Jung Jae h y u n!” Ten suddenly screams and faster than the light he runs, attacks the taller man. ”I missed you sooooo much! Oh, hi Doyoung.”

The other man, who Inhye is certain that it’s Doyoung, rolls his eyes before he greets Hansol and Johnny, giving each of them a hug, then shakes hands with Taeyong and Inhye.

”Kim Doyoung,” he smiles. His smile. He is so adorable. Hansol has a lot of bunnies in his farm, and Inhye wouldn’t be surprised if Doyoung by mistake gets forgotten there. Because he is identical to a bunny.

As soon as Jaehyun manages to get out of Ten’s grip, he hurries to greet them as well. ”Jung Jaehyun, my pleasure.”

”, man,” Johnny throws an arm around Jaehyun’s shoulders. ”I missed you, kiddo.”

”Actually, I became legal recently,” Jaehyun laughs, correcting Johnny’s last word.

”Oh right, you’re not a kid anymore. You should’ve brought Mark.”

”Are you nuts? He’s underage.”

”As if you weren’t younger than him when you came here?”

As soon as all of them throws themselves into a discussion about how all of them are victims to underage drinking, an arm gets hooked with Inhye’s out of nowhere and then she’s dragged away. By no one other than Ten.

”I told you I’d tell you a bit about the guys as they get here, right?”

”Right,” she remembers that.

Ten points at Doyoung. ”That’s Doyoung, was supposed to be Taeil’s friend but is closer to Jaehyun now. Kind of boring. Very angry and very scary as drunk. Actually, only fun when he is drunk, but still barely fun. Nags and complains and whines a lot. But he’s cute, nice to look at. As long as he doesn’t open his mouth he is alright.”

Inhye was abut to question whatever he had just said, but Ten just continues. ”Next, Jung Jaehyun. He is from America. My man. He is crazy handsome, just look at that face, he looks perfect. Like the perfect son-in-law. But truth to be told, he is a really mischievous. We met him for the first time when he was 16, aka two years ago, because his parents had thought that he was perfect but one night they got a call by the police that they had caught him drunk at a party. Turned out that he had lied that he slept over at a friends. So his parents sent him back to South Korea to spend his summer with his ”apparently-very-Christian-and-perfectly-behaved” childhood friend Johnny. To learn some good manners by him. I feel bad for Jaehyun’s parents, really. They got tricked again. There are some crazy rumours that Jaehyun even tried drugs, but we don’t dare to ask him and he doesn’t speak about it.”

Inhye has too much information to get into her head. Ten notices it, laughs and slaps her arm gently. ”He is super fun, though! And there are more people coming! My super fun foreign friends will come tomorrow or the day after that”

”Why do I already have a bad feeling about this?” Inhye unknowingly repeats Taeyong’s words from yesterday with a loud sigh.

Ten winks. He actually ing winked. Then he too repeats his phrase. ”Because baby, anything can happen in Busan!”


Comment, subscribe, up-vote and most importantly; enjoy~ i bc i thought i had already uploaded this chapter but i hadn't so it's late im sorry