o17

Behind Bars

Something is up with Taeyong. Inhye can sense it by the way he acts. It’s like he’s back in Seoul again. She decides not to think too much about it, its probably just the fact that Ten and Johnny are being disgustingly loving with each other that made him this way. Heck, even if she wanted to speak with him; she doesn’t get the chance to.

They’re ten people at the moment helping Hansol take the bags out of the tractor (they will be eleven as Taeil joins). Inhye has never hung out with so many people at the same time before; she’s so caught up in trying to speak with everyone that she simply doesn’t get the chance to confront Taeyong about his cold behaviour.

”Y’all have to help me with the cows tomorrow morning, got it?” Hansol points at all of them. ”And the stable, it was ages ago when I last swept the floor there. The spider’s are having colonies there now.”

Ten groans, but Jaehyun seems way more troubled by Johnny and Ten than by Hansol waking them up early. Inhye, on the other hand, who certainly isn’t a morning person, doesn’t know what she’s the most bothered about.

She thought it’d be her ex-boyfriend, or right; he’s not even her ex-boyfriend. He’s nothing. She was almost sure that she wouldn’t be able to stay in Busan when she first saw Yuta. Then, something happened. If it’s the fact that in her heart, Yuta isn’t completely gone; or if it’s because he’s so entertaining she doesn’t know. Again, it might also be the fact that her whole body wants to forgive him, but her mind tells her not to. Something is preventing her from it, and it’s not only the fact that he left her. Because she’d actually considered giving him another chance; but her mind prevented her. Whatever it is, she’s thankful. She remembers scolding her friends in high school for going back to their douchy ex-boyfriends. She isn’t going to make the same mistake.

”I wanna sleep with Johnny!” Ten declares, raises his hand so fiercely that Doyoung almost got a punch in the face.

”Do so then, why making it so obvious?” Doyoung glares, places both hands on his cheeks in fright of almost getting his jaw broken by this small, raven haired thai boy named Ten.

Ten throws his arms around Johnnys neck, smiling widely. Disgustingly.

Inhye throws a glance at Taeyong. He is just playing some games on his phone (that do not require internet because that kind of luxury is out of question out here). Inhye pouts, walks over to him and squats down next to him.

”Why are you an old pumpkin again?” she asks, getting Taeyong’s attention. He shrugs so Inhye sighs, continues speaking. ”Can I sleep next to you? I don’t know these guys that well, it’d be awkward if I sleep between some of them.”

”Sure,” is the only thing he says.

Inhye ignores it. Sometimes, Inseong also acted like he was on his period so Inhye learned to just let it be. If Taeyong doesn’t want to speak with her, who is forcing him? Out here, it doesn’t matter. In Seoul, on the other hand; he is her client.

Inhye returns to place her mattress and Taeyong’s next to each other, only to be stopped by Yuta’s hands on her shoulders.

It’s amazing, how she forgets over and over again that it really is Yuta. As she looked up at him, she had been startled because it was him. Because her mind doesn’t believe that he is here. Maybe, her mind is only playing tricks?

”You’re such a scaredy cat,” he grins and Inhye has to stop her heart from skipping a beat. Don’t. Not for Yuta. He’s not worth it anymore. He hurt you, came back to Korea, didn’t call you and were going to a midsummer party without considering contacting you. He’s not worth it. ”Anyways, I haven’t placed my bed and Hansol’s yet. Johnny’s, Ten’s, Kun’s, Sicheng’s and Doyoung’s are on the opposite side. Do you mind if I put my mattress next to yours?”

Everyone are listening to their conversation. If she’d turn him down, everyone would be curious and eventually it’d get out that Yuta left Inhye and that she despises him so much but is still doing stuff like this which is totally against her pride and she feels so bad about it. Well... Sleeping between Yuta and Taeyong couldn’t hurt, could it?

Not really. Only that Taeyong looked even grumpier than before. He looked so grumpy, that even Ten that can’t read situations even if they’re written right before him, understood that he wasn’t really feeling this. He didn’t even join their story telling time. They all had so fun stories, Inhye had nothing to offer. Johnny told about how the police pulled him over for drunk driving when he wasn’t even drunk, and after they had checked him, they told him that it ‘wasn’t drunk driving, but he was driving too fast anyways’. Ten has a lot of stories from back in Thailand, but also from his travels (he’s loaded with cash). One about how he got hit on by guys in Switzerland and when he had asked if they were gay they said no.

Jaehyun, out of nowhere, nudge Inhye gently. Not elbowing her right into her ribs unlike someone else. Like Ten. Always Ten. Only Ten.

Inhye looks at Jaehyun questionably, tilts her head to the side. Jaehyun mimics her act, smiles softly. ”Go speak to him,” he speaks, nods over his shoulder to where Taeyong is lying on the hard mattress.

”Why me?”

Jaehyun shrugs, but he seems to have a reason. You can tell. He looks like a good liar, but at the same time; Inhye is used to things like that.

”Alright,” Inhye finally gives in, leaves the circle just as Hansol is about to tell them about how he found a hedgehog civilisation in his garden. it, Taeyong better have a good reason for making her miss that story.

Inhye sits down next to Taeyong in her own mattress, giving him a stern look for a moment before softening it. He wants attention, it’s obvious. Especially, judging by how he pretends that he’s playing Geometry Dash actively, when he’s only losing over and over.

”Is there something wrong?” Inhye asks directly, realising that sweet talk won’t work right now.

Taeyong seems to have waited for the bomb to drop, as he shuts down his telephone and raises from his seat. ”We need to talk.”

Then he grabs her wrist and pulls her out of the barn, leaving the chattering group of guys behind. They’re all too caught up in Hansol’s story that they barely notices Taeyong and Inhye leaving. Well, aside from Jaehyun that is.

When they’re outside, and a good bit away from the barn - actually all the way to the paddock with sheeps - Taeyong speaks.

”I need to know,” he starts, sitting down on a stone while Inhye pets the sheep; scanning her thoroughly. ”What is there between you and Yuta?”

Inhye sighs, getting irritated by his sudden possessiveness. ”I told you already, we’re no-”

”Don’t tell me that you’re nothing,” Taeyong interrupts her and Inhye gets a little bit annoyed, as she remembers Inseong interrupting her all the time. ”Something happened between you. Someone is lying, either it’s you or it’s him. You told me that you’re nothing but he said that you’re lovers.”

Inhye is taken aback. She is troubled by everything in that sentence; Taeyong asking both Yuta and Inhye the same question, and Yuta answering in such a douchy way that Inhye feels herself clenching her firsts.

”Tell me,” Taeyong continues. ”I hate that there are secrets between us. I hate how you’re hiding something from me.”

Inhye loses it. If it’s because of how demanding he is or the hypocritical comment she doesn’t know, but her eyebrows furrows directly. ”Sorry but,” she starts; but stops and starts to remember that she had said the exact same thing, word per word, when she had first argumented against Taeyong. It was when he had offended her role as a lawyer. Now, she doesn’t know what it is. ”If anyone is hiding anything, it’s you, isn’t it? I’m your lawyer, even though, you don’t tell me what exactly happened at the murder scene, neither the bullying incidents or anything else that isn’t in the papers.”

Taeyong throws out his arms in opposite directions. ”Well, it’s because only what’s written in the papers are relevant! Would you even listen to what I have to say?”

”Don’t you think you lost the case for a reason? If I go up with the exact same arguments as your past lawyer; do you think you can win? And of course I’d listen, why else would I ask? It’s because I want to know so that I can help you!”

”And that’s why I want to know what’s behind you and Yuta,” Taeyong looks up, this time a lot more pleading than before. ”I feel like it’s something I need to know. Why do you say that you’re nothing but he says that you’re lovers?”

Inhye forgets the fact that Taeyong had completely dodged her questions and takes some time to consider actually telling him. Because it’s Taeyong. Taeyong, who loved to ask questions about her; anything from what she liked to do when she couldn’t sleep to her favourite food. Taeyong, who has a hard time opening up to people. Taeyong, who rarely laughs but looks so beautiful when he does. Because it’s Taeyong.

”We never broke up,” Inhye finally breathes out, takes the seat next to Taeyong on the stone.

”So you were something?” Taeyong asks, trying to maintain eye contact but Inhye can’t. She looks down onto her hands, scratches out the dirty from under her nails.

”If we were,” she mumbles. ”He were my first everything; first boyfriend, first kiss, first night. We dated for three years.”

Taeyong bites back a gasp. Three years. That’s a very long time. He had been in prison for two years; only those two years felt like they were never-ending. Imagine another year on top of that.

”What... What happened?” Taeyong asks.

Inhye shrugs. She really doesn’t know what happened. ”We graduated, and then he told me that he wanted to go back to Japan for a while. I was fine with it at first, because I believed that he’d return. The first months we texted really actively, called every night on Skype and he told me to visit. Then he suddenly stopped answering my texts, and I’d be certain that he died if I didn’t see his SNS updates, with his arms around other girls that is. I didn’t know what I had done wrong, I blamed myself way too long. I thought that I was too boring, so Yuta got sick of me and only saw going back to Japan as an escape.”

Taeyong frowns, noticing tears forming in Inhye’s eyes. It must be a painful memory for her and he somewhat regrets asking. But at the same time, Inhye needed to get this out of her chest. He can feel that too.

”What a ing douchebag,” Taeyong had intended to think but instead mutters out loud. Inhye laughs and Taeyong thought it looked beautiful, even if tears rolled down her cheeks as she did.

”Yeah, he really . He didn’t even break up with me, so I couldn’t go get myself some other guys while he had tons of girls in Japan. God how happy I would have been if he broke up with me, crazy right? How many girls would be happy to be dumped?”

”But why do you say that he’s nothing to you?” he ignores her questions. ”Isn’t he your past lover, at least? You have a long history together, isn’t that a waste of your three years?”

Inhye shakes her head. ”Either you break up or get married, there is no third. We did neither...  A book without an ending is unfinished, therefore worth nothing.” Inhye sighs as she wipes her tears with the back of her hand. ”God, how embarrassing to start crying.”

”Did... Did you love him?”

Inhye shrugs again, followed by a smile. ”I really thought so.”

”But then, why are you crying again?” Instinctively, Taeyong reaches out and catch a few tears on Inhye’s cheek.

She hadn’t noticed the tears, but the look of shock on her face worries Taeyong. She burries her face into her hands, and Taeyong can hear her quiet weeps. It worries him a lot, God he can’t even remember when he felt this type of empathy for anyone before. Taeyong embraces Inhye with one arm, putting her head on his shoulder. He starts thinking unreasonably and gets lost in his own thoughts. Why is she crying? Has she perhaps still not gotten over him? He’s good looking, charismatic, extroverted; anything a girl would ask for. Of course she hasn’t gotten over him. That must be why she’s crying.

As Taeyong comes back to his senses after thinking for some time, he has found a possible explanation for her crying, so now, can anyone help him explain his tears too...?


To make up for the slow updating recently, here's another chapter for this week! As usual; subscribe, up-vote, comment (extra karma for commenting, people!!) and most importantly - enjoy~!