o14

Behind Bars

The original idea was to sleep in the barn as Jaehyun and Doyoung arrived. Because it’s much spacier. But since it’s raining, Hansol said that he’d rather sleep in the bathroom than in the barn. So in the end, as the night falls; Johnny and Ten says their goodbye’s. Ten doesn’t have a farm with animals like Hansol; he just has a huge house. So Inhye doesn’t get why the five of them doesn’t sleep there instead of crashing at Hansol’s house. But oh well, guess some questions should remain unsaid.

”Okay,” Hansol speaks as they’re seated in his room; Taeyong on the bed next to the blonde and Inhye on the chair. ”Obviously, four persons won’t fit in this room. Maybe like three, but that’s if two people are sleeping on each other.”

”Where will the fourth person sleep?” Jaehyun asks, then he nods sideways towards Inhye. ”And isn’t she sleeping here?”

”She is, but she’s having my older brother’s room,” Hansol explains. ”I guess one person can fit on the floor there.”

”I guess that’s mine,” Taeyong nods. Well, it’s kind of obvious since Inhye is a complete stranger to two of the guys here, and somewhat awkward with the third. Taeyong is the natural choice.

”Sounds good,” Inhye agrees.

”Good, let me help you guys get a mattress. There are two left for you guys, too,” Hansol nods towards Doyoung and Jaehyun. ”They’re in the basement, though.”


Inhye doesn’t know why she’s surprised when Doyoung and Hansol drop the mattress for the third time down all the stairs, hearing it fall onto the basement floor again. They all decided that they should help Hansol get the mattress, so Doyoung offered to take the other side of it while Jaehyun ...

... Well. He’s not doing much. But neither is she, nor Taeyong. Taeyong is standing with his chin on top of his own tightly rolled mattress that he’s squeezing into his arms, watching Doyoung and Hansol fail over and over again.

”No, lift it higher and push after turning in the curve!” Doyoung cries out, running down the stairs to pick up the (now much dustier) mattress again. ”In the curve you die and it ends up with me just pulling it out of your arms and then it’s down.”

”Excuse me but I didn’t know you were professional in this issue, Mr. ’Oh-I-Know-Everything’ Kim.”

Oh no. Are they going to use sarcasm on each other. Please don’t. Just as it looks like the two of them will actually settle it with some fierce diss-rapping; Taeyong nudges her arm.

”Shall we leave?” he mumbles. ”I’m tired. Gosh, I forgot how tiring it was to muck the stable. My back feels like it’s about to break in two.”

He groans at the last part and Inhye snickers at it as she remembers how Hansol begged them, almost forcing them to help him clean the stable earlier.

”Alright, gramps. I’ll help you into bed.”

Quietly, they leave Jaehyun’s side; tip-toe their way up the stairs and then into Hansol’s brother’s room. That’s when they shut the door, and Inhye realises that it’s her first time behind closed doors that she’s alone with Taeyong.

She doesn’t get the time to change her facial expression about that fact before Taeyong notices. ”What? Afraid already? I’m totally harmless... Maybe

Inhye can’t read his face whether he’s offended or not, but based on his words; he’s not too hurt. So Inhye smiles. Softly. Teasingly.

”What? Who said I was afraid?”

”Eh, duh? Your face? You paled, like you saw a ghost- no, like you were a ghost.”

”Like you when you lost your money when playing poker or what? Or when Ten and Johnny-”

”God, no,” Taeyong shudders and Inhye chokes down a laughter outbreak. ”Why would you bring up that? Disgusting.”

Inhye smiles, then they need to get down to business. ”Bed or mattress?”

”Bed, I’m aching.”

”Hey, be a gentleman for once. Like Johnny.”

”Shut up about Johnny he’s a fake . Let’s play rock paper scissors.”

Well. That was easy. As Inhye has always grown up with Inseong, she knows the rule ‘men takes rock’. And men knows the rule as well, so they expect the other to go with paper. That’s why Inhye picked rock, and won the bed.

”You-!” Taeyong looks so genuinely surprised by the rock that Inhye can’t stop her tongue from leaving her lips for a moment to teasingly peak out. ”That’s cheating!”

”That’s being smart, now turn around as I change.”

Taeyong suddenly, out of nowhere, gets so flustered that his face literally turned redder than Hansol’s tomato culture. ”W-Why would you change when I’m in the room? I have have to go to the bathroom anyways, you have 10 minutes to change.”

”Why do you pee for 10 minutes?”

”I’m being generous and considerate, idiot. And don’t lecture me!”

•  •  •

”It took a whole hour for us to get to bed,” Taeyong speaks out to the dark, quiet room.

Inhye turns in the mattress (yes she let the old poor man have the bed), lying on the side to be able to watch Taeyong. He’s laying flat on his back, watching Hansol’s brother’s sky painted roof.

”That was because you couldn’t find your damn tooth brush.”

”I thought Hansol had taken it, I got terrified! Then I’d have to burn it!”

Inhye smiles, then she frowns slightly. ”Speaking of Hansol; his mother is a friend of your family, right?” He nods. ”Did you... Did you speak to her?”

Another nod. Because Inhye doesn’t continue, Taeyong understands that he has to continue by himself. ”She’s one busy woman, but when I made breakfast for you this morning we spoke. I did an egg to her too before she left; she’s preparing for the carnival right now that’s why we haven’t seen much of her.”

”What does she think? About the case?”

In the darkness, Inhye can see that he shrugs. ”I guess she thinks I’m a murderer. She didn’t speak to me much. Only thanking for the egg. Guess she, like my mother, doesn’t want anything to do with me.”

”Because you’re a murderer?”

He nods. Again. Inhye continues, her sentence almost coming out as a whisper. ”... Because you’re falsely accused of murder?”

It takes a while. Something that felt very long, but probably were barely a minute. But how long it took doesn’t matter, because Taeyong slowly, almost weakly, nods.

•  •  •

Hansol that ing woke everyone up just because he’s a weak man that didn’t feel like taking out the horses by himself.

”It takes more than an hour when I do it by myself, but when people help me it can take ten minutes or less,” he explains as he pulls the curtains in the room to the side. ”You’re living here for free, so at least work a little to pay it off.”

Taeyong groans. ”Honestly, I’d gladly rent a room somewhere instead.”

To that, he gets a kick. And then gets embraced, but not by Hansol.

”Wakey wakey, Tiyongie!” Inhye is suddenly wide awake by Ten’s nasal pitch filling the room. Then the loud sound of a smooch.

And then followed by a loud thump as Taeyong kicked him off, rubbing his cheek. ”What the ? Did you just kiss me?”

”No, but I can show you what a kiss is~” and Inhye is certain that he would, if Taeyong hadn’t put his foot right into his face.

”Rather not, ugh, why am I doing this again?”

”Meh, you’re so boring. Inhye, how does a kiss sound?”

”I’d rather have breakfast.”

Taeyong and (to Inhye’s surprise) Jaehyun are the ones to cook. That’s fortunate, because Inhye is a horrible cook and she’d honestly break down if anyone would even suggest her cooking. She can’t even express how grateful she feels for the guys that they haven’t pulled the ”you’re a woman you should cook”-card. Ten and Johnny are sitting in the seats next to hers; both bouncing in their chairs. Ten with his phone in his hands and Doyoung is seated in front of her, looking like he wishes that he were somewhere else. Hansol is just forcing everyone to eat the non-existing food quicker because his horses need to get out.

”The weather is actually nice today and my poor horses are locked into the stable!”

”Shut up,” Taeyong flips the pancake onto the plate on the table. ”Or I’ll drive all the way back to Seoul by myself.”

”Hah, you don’t have a licence,” Johnny pokes out his tongue to Taeyong.

”I would have gotten it already,” Taeyong slowly explain. ”If I hadn’t murdered someone.”

”Man, why were you so impulsive,” Johnny plays along, shaking his head.

Their act can’t continue any longer before Ten is squealing, waving his phone into the air. ”They’re on their way! Man, I was doubting if they’d make it to the party at all but look; now they’ll be two days early!”

”Woop! All them foreign swaggers, though!” Johnny joins the excited screaming and the two of them are out of the chairs instantly; jumping around like bunnies again.

”Can you not do this when it’s barely 7 AM and I haven’t had my morning coffee?” Doyoung begs, but of course no one listens. He groans. Hansol screams.

”It’s 7 AM already?!” then he grabs Doyoung by the wrist; checks his watch quickly. ”The horses, skip breakfast guys and help!”


Why did he own so many ing horses, Inhye mentally asks as she’s taking another horse to it’s paddock. It’s like they’re never ending. But they do come to an end, finally. And as Hansol had promised, it didn’t take too long. But it certainly did not take only 10 minutes as he said it would if they all helped.

”I need to take a shower,” Taeyong cries out as they’re all walking back together. Inhye had never been a fan of being in larger groups, but now it didn’t feel more than right to be this many.

”The warm water doesn’t work until 3 PM today though, because of the rain yesterday.”

Taeyong groans again. He’s cute. His complains are cute. His personality is cute. He’s just cute, and Inhye can’t believe that she didn’t realise that sooner. He looks fierce, tough, and hell; the boy looks like a murderer. But he’s the opposite. Now, Inhye can’t even imagine the male kill mosquitoes.

Ten’s phone rings out of nowhere and he answers.

”Kun dideli dun, where are you? Oh, right, we’re at the horses. What did you say Hansol’s dog did? Oh my, that’s hilarious!”

”Are they here?” Hansol asks. Ten ignores.

”Yeah we were waiting, only Taeil is missing then I guess. Do you remember him? Yeah, the same guy with the house that we threw paper rolls at and peed on the flowe-”

Hansol takes the phone from Ten’s hands. ”Kun, are you here? Oh, we were just going to feed the pigs,-” (that’s a fact only Hansol knew because he hadn’t told them and now Taeyong is complaining again.) ”-but I guess that can wait. We’re on our way.”

He hangs up. ”Lets hurry, we shouldn’t keep them waiting.”

They start walking faster, with the exception of Taeyong. Inhye slows down as she notices that he’s falling behind.

”Tired?”

”If,” he wheezes. ”This is too much work for me before I’ve gotten my morning strawberry smoothie.”

Inhye smiles. ”If there’s anything I’m good at doing in the kitchen, it’s making smoothies. Other than that, I’m awful.”

”That’s a promise,” Taeyong nudges her gently.

Inhye nods, thinking that Taeyong truly is innocent and cute. She starts thinking of Inseong, of how badly he wants to put Taeyong back into prison. Why? Just, why? There must be a good reason for that. Inseong had always only focused on his studies. Why was he so passionate about Taeyong’s case out of the blue?

”Kun!” Inhye is interrupted in her thoughts, again by Ten. He runs down the hill that leads to the house, almost trips on his own legs until he reaches a tallish, brown haired boy with a very, very, nice smile before he embraces him.

The rest of them follow suit, seeing Ten speak to three men. One is this Kun guy, the other one is a cute but tall boy with a little crooked teeth but oh he’s so adorable, the third one-

No. no.. no... NO! This can’t be. She must be seeing things. Why here, why now? Out of all times and places; why?

”Oh,” Ten turns to the others, reaches his hand out. ”He’s out newest requite, and the first Japanese to join, so that’s cool! Introduce yourself!”

The smile. Inhye recognises that smile and it hurts. It’s a smile Inhye thought she could only dream of from now on. A smile she missed, a smile that she used to see before the soft kisses. The soft hugs. The smile on his lips before he whispered ’I love you’. They’re there. They’re real. It’s right in front of her. She thought he was in Japan, she texted him everyday until he stopped answering. She thought he’d stay there, never contact her again. Now he’s here. Just as she starts doubting her mind, he speaks. Then she’s certain.

”Nakamoto Yuta, nice to meet you.”


Oh well y'all probably already predicted it but here's chapter 14. Please leave a comment, up-vote, subscribe and most importantly; enjoy~!