Alone

Mr. Not-so-perfect

“Thank you.,” Lay smiled, his white teeth were perfectly aligned together. No one should be this beautiful, she thought.

Haru blinked at him, unsure of what to say, her cheek blushed in the heat. “It’s my job, anyway.” she assured. “There is no need for you to thank me.”

He shakes his head slightly, “Still, Sehun must be hard for you to work with,” he told, his steps pacing forward, “I’m glad you manage to pull it off.”

“He’s not that bad,” Haru tucked in her hair behind her ears and felt abnormally self conscious, “Besides, he did his part pretty quickly too.”

Despite the blushed cheeks, and constant stammering, Haru felt the need to continue to conversation regardless. “So, ah, the match is next week?” she asked, trying to sound casual.

Lay nodded, and brushed his forehead, “It’s intense, given the college we’re competing against has defeated our seniors last year,” he sounded anxious, “There’s so much pressure on us, now.”

Haru contemplated on what to say. She stared blindly at her knotted fingers, “You don’t have to, Tao is worked up as much as you are.” He turned his head aside, looking surprised, “How do you know him?” he asked. His eyes narrow speculatively. “You’re close with him?”

”No, not at all!” she shrieked. “I met him coincidentally twice, but that’s all.” she convinced. “I don’t know him that well.”

Lay gives out a small smile, “I see.” He continues to walk, taking small steps, both of his hands in his pocket. “Sehun is practicing hard too,’ he said seriously, “The real match is between those two. Sehun needs to win to redeem our loss and Tao,” he stopped, “He’s got a muddle with Sehun, so he tries his best to win him in everything.”

“Muddle?” Haru asked, curiously. “For a girl,” Lay answered voluntarily. “Doesn’t it always comes down to an affection of a girl?” he said. When Haru turned to look at him, he was already looking at her, his eyes gazing softly.

“I wish you the best,” Haru could feel her heart beat faster than usual. Her eyelids blink rapidly and she feels the heat rushing into her cheeks once again.

“Thanks, we really need that.” he replies, his voice soft and calm. ‘We should hang out some time.” he suggested.

Her heart pounds, and she tries her best to contain her grin, “Yes, we should.” she nodded, giving a small smile.

//

“So he’s the one?” Minzy playfully asked, “Your prince charming? You were blushing when you are talking to him!” she said, pinching Haru’s cheeks.

“That hurts!”

Minzy let out a wicked laugh as she pack her books, “Honestly, I never thought you’ll like someone else. What happened to Kris?”

Haru smiled, “I never talked to Kris before and I just have this one sided crush, but now that he’s graduated and working, I’m pretty sure he’s got a girlfriend.” She glanced her watch briefly, “I moved on, probably.”

“Not bad,” Minzy teased. “So you met the creepy guy again?”

Haru nodded, “Tao? He’s not that creepy. It’s funny how you can change the perception of a person after talking to them.” Grabbing her bag, she smile to her and made her way out of the lecture room. Walking past the rooms, she saw a tall, familiar figure, clad in black shirt and jeans. She waved cheerfully to him and walked towards him to talk. Sehun, however, didn’t return her smile and look slightly uncomfortable and sullen. When she walked towards him, she saw him carrying the thin book she recommended him to read.

“So how’s the book?” she asked, lively. She noticed his dark circles, and his gloomy expression. His hair looked messier than usual. Hard training she assumed. He nodded, “Boring.” he said.

Behind him, was another tall friend of his, with a blonde wavy hair. He must be Chanyeol, she thought. He looked immaculate in his very white shirt, but he smiled pleasantly at her. He whispered something in Sehun’s ears, and nodded curtly to Haru before walking away from them.

“Chanyeol?” she asked, whispering, pointing her finger at the back of the guy. Sehun nodded again. He handed the book to her, “I was about to go to the library to return this, but here you go.” he said. “I’m not coming to the library anymore and there is no any reason for us to talk, so goodbye.” he croaked. He looks cold and remote, wearing almost the same expression he did when he was angry at her in the basketball court. Only this time, he looked distant and aloof.

She stood there, not knowing what to say. Truth to be told, she was annoyed to be yanked by his sudden mood swings. There are times he wanted to talk to her, and there are also times he wants nothing to do with her.

She grabbed the book from his hand, and nodded. Then she walked past him, without another word. Her steps were almost in hurry, as if she didn’t want to be in the same space as him. Sehun froze in his position, confused with her lack of reaction.
”You don’t have anything to say to me?” he asked, a pitch higher. Perhaps it was an answer he wanted or even a idle response from her. She stopped in the tracks, turning to him, returning his cold gaze. “Nothing,” she said briefly and continued walking away from him.

//

Sehun walked briskly into the library during lunch break. There is not much students there during the time. He glanced at the counter and Haru wasn’t there. Instead he saw the usual girl Haru used to hang around with. He then looked at the surrounding, and there were no trace of her either. Minzy lifted her head and cleared . When Sehun turned to look at her, she pointed to the left without him asking. He dipped his head again, and walked towards the pointed direction.

He saw her amidst of the library section, dutifully rearranging the books from the trolley back to the rack. She was so immersed in the job, she didn’t notice his presence there. He cleared his throat to divert her attention from the books to him.

“Sorry!” she apologized quickly, thinking it was someone else, then lift her head up to see him. She shot him a puzzled look, “You’re going to see books from here?” she asked, pointing on the racks she was working on.

“No,” he answered, softly then waited to see her reaction.

She didn’t give him one, instead she continued arranging the books back to the rack.

“I’m sorry,” he said, breaking the awkward silence, “I didn’t mean to-”

“You don’t have to apologize and you don’t have to explain yourself,” she cuts him off swiftly. “I understand,” She said, not looking at him.

“What?” he asked, raising his eyebrows, looking displeased. She puts back the book to the trolley and sighed long.

“Are you losing your fans?” she asked, looking at him, “Or are your friends teasing you for talking to me?” she stopped momentarily, “Or you’re afraid of your reputation might take a dip?”

“No, it’s not that,” he shakes his head, offended.

“What is it then? You’re such a strange person. Few days ago, you wanted me to be your confidant, and this morning you just bid your farewell to me. Make your mind, Oh Sehun.”

He flinches when she said his name. “I didn’t-” he trails off, his voice weak.
”If you’re here to apologize, then there’s no need for that. I’m not vexed. I don’t think we’re close enough for me to get offended.” she mutters, trying to walk past him. He put his hand on the other side of the section, not letting her to walk past him. “Let’s talk.” he suggested. She stopped and frowned at him, “Can I say something, although it may sound a bit rude?” she asked.

“I think you have fear of abandonment. You don’t let people get close to you, and you don’t want them to leave you either. But I don’t do that. I don’t talk to someone who doesn’t want to talk to me, and I don’t want to be with someone who doesn’t want to be with me. I’m not that kind of person.” she continued quietly.

 

“If you keep on pushing people away, one day, you’re going to end up being alone.” she said lastly before leaving him in his own train of thoughts.