First Day, First Friend

The Balance of Fire and Water

“Don’t worry ___, I’ll take care of you and your mother from now on. If anyone bothers you then don’t be afraid to ask for help.”

Mrs Lee, or who I know as So Hyeon, but I call her Hyeon unnie, is a very good friend of mom and I. She’s the principal of the school but I knew her as my mom’s friends daughter… yeah… she was pretty young for a principal, only 27 years old, but I don’t underestimate her knowledge. Unnie was always there for me when mom and dad used to fight; I would always run away crying to her place, begging her to stop them. But she couldn’t do anything about it, she and I knew that.

Back to the story…

I gave her a small smile, replying with a “Thank you Ms Lee.” She gave me a small smile back, placing her right hand on my left shoulder as she said back. “Just call me unnie here, its okay, I don’t mind.” I wasn’t expecting her to drop the formalities, even though unnie is a formality, Mrs Lee sound more serious and scary, so having her say that somehow made me more calm. I couldn’t control my happiness as I looked back at Hyeon unnie, giving her a tight hug that caused her to step back a bit, but she didn’t stop the hug though, she only rubbed my back.

I totally forgot that I was at school when I hugged unnie until I heard a few chuckles come from behind. Letting go of unnie, embarrassed, I turned around to see two girls giggling at unnie and I as my face heated up. Hyeon unnie only chuckled when she realised, calling out to the girls to hurry to their classes. I’d never seen such a chill principal in my whole life. Unnie brought me back to reality when she said to me “C’mon ___, it’s time to meet your new class.” I nodded back, determined but slightly scared.

Unnie entered the room first, making me staying outside till she introduces me, hearing her say. “Okay girls, today we have a new student entering this school. Her name is ­­­___ and I don’t recommend asking things personal about her, she will divulge this herself. Please make her feel happy and comfortable here.” She motioned for me to come in, and as I entered through the doorway, my staunch face coming into place. “Okay ___, when you’re ready.” I looked back at her with my emotionless face, but she could see the fear in my eyes. But she didn’t say anything; she only pursed her lips into a straight line and nodded once more. I knew there was no backing out now.

I bit my lips as I saw the whole class staring at me, I was pretty sure that my eyes had a flame from the way they kept looking at me. But without hesitation, I said what I had to. “Hello class, my name is ­___. Please take care of me well.” I ended with a bow, hoping to get on their good side as I stood upright once again.

 “Okay girls, who can give ___ a tour around the school during break?” The teacher spoke up this time. She happened to be a friend of moms as well, but not coincidentally, unnie put me in her class just because it was her. She wasn’t as young as unnie, about the same age as mom, so I had to call her Mrs Seol naturally.

I was shocked to see everyone putting their hands up desperately in the air, some patting the air, others twinkling their fingers. There was no way I could choose from everyone, there’s about 20 girls in here. Everyone was seated in pairs, except for one girl, that wasn’t unrecognised by the teacher who spoke up once again.

“Momo, the space next to you seems empty; take care of ___ at school okay?” The girl, Momo, only nodded in response, giving a small smile to me as I approached her. She seemed calm; I could feel it from the aura she gave off. Apparently my powers can identify what type of aura one can give off because of my balance.

Trudging my way to the back of the class room, I sat down, placing my books on my desk as I put the bag on the ground. I looked to my left to see a breathtaking sight. The sun from the window shined above Momo, creating a halo like image. Her dark brown hair now having a slight tint around the edges as her bangs were perfectly cut above her eyes. She looked like an angel.

“Hi ___, I’m Momo. Let’s be friends?” She held her hand out in front of her. I, on instinct, shook it softly, hoping not to burn her hand from how nervous I was as I just nodded in response to her question. We held a gaze for a while, looking at each other softly as I saw the happiness and curiosity in her eyes. I could tell she could see my pain as her smile subtly left its face when she let out a small breath.

“Okay girls, just copy the notes on the board for now and you can have free tie to chat.”

Mrs Seol’s voice brought us back to reality as she scanned through the class. Opening your book to its first page, I started copying the notes, gripping the pen hard as I noticed Momo watching me in my peripheral vision. After writing the first sentence, I looked back to her, first noticing her book that already had all the notes written, word for word. ‘What?! We just started and she’s already done!’ A gasp must’ve left my mouth as I heard Momo gigging slightly. Ok now I really had to know, so I asked. “H-How? We just started…..” “My power is speed, so I wrote everything in a second.” I felt embarrassed now, how could I forget that this school is filled with girls that have powers. ‘Oops… I gotta remember next time.’

It didn’t take me long to finish, but when I did, I noticed that my pen was drooping slightly onto my hand, Momo seemed to have noticed as well. “Uh ___..... Your pen is….” I looked up at Momo to see that she propped herself on her elbow comfortably, as if she had been watching me all this time. “Hmm…. Wanna see something cool?” Momo nodded back in response, but she was soon confused when I asked for a tissue, she didn’t hesitate to give it to me though.

First I made a small fire I the palm of my hand, I could see Momo staring at it and smirked. Then I put my pen in the same hand that had the flame and tightened my grip around it before pulling my hand off it. Now the flame was gone and the pen was straight, but it was still hot, ready to droop out of shape. But before it happened, I made a circle motion with my finger, and water started to surround the pen that was in my hand. I could hear the way Momo gasped, her eyes now widened as her jaw was slightly slack, the sight made me smile. Now that I could feel the pen was now cold, I made a push motion with my free hand, making the water flow through the air outside the window. Using the tissue that was on the desk and wiped the pen dry, thus revealing a fixed pen.

“Wow…..” Momo exclaimed, now staring at the new pen as she speedily grabbed it from my hands before I even noticed. She put the pen down and back at you, her face now filled with excitement. “Show me more!” I only gave a small smile as I said okay.

I clicked my fingers, creating a small love heart with a flame in between the space of me and Momo. Then I put my fingers inside the heart, the heat never bothered me because my skin as now used to the sensation. I started to trace out Momo’s name from her view as water started to form in the same shape, causing Momo to blush a deep red. To end the act, I made my hands enclose around the flame and water, making them both disintegrate as I made a fist in front of my mouth and blew in it, creating a disappearing act.

“Woah…..”

That was all I heard Momo say as she started at my hand in awe, her reaction made me happy. She looked back at me, amazed at my powers as I gave a small smile back. “So you can like make fire and water do anything…. That’s so cooool!” She was looking at me in the eye once more, making us hold a stronger gaze. This time it lasted long though, longer then I thought until we were interrupted once more.

‘RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING’

The bell made us lose our focus as she chuckled from what we just did, me only giving a small smile back.

“That’s break, c’mon, I’ll give you the tour.”

I only nodded in response, packing my bags instantly as Momo was already standing, her bag fully packed as I was still putting in my books. ‘Right…. Super speed…’

Making my way out the door, we started our very long tour, but not before Momo ran quickly to the canteen and took some of the food. It didn’t even matter though because the food was free and she managed to swipe it faster than I could blink. “Here…” She gave me an apple, I’m not that heathy, but I didn’t hesitate to accept it if it was her. My first friend on the first day of school… maybe this wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

 

 

LOL hi guys, today we start with Momo because…. Well Momo’s power made it suitable so like…. There are some things you should know about the powers tho.

Due to balance, you can control the fire and water within someone, so like fire is being really pissed or scared or something and water being really relaxing. You can control fire and water spiritually and like physically so like………… yeah