I'm Cold

The Balance of Fire and Water

Friday ~

It’s Friday, the end of my first week at this new school. Besides Monday and Tuesday going peculiar, the rest of the week was fine. Except for today.

I’m sitting in history right now, right after break, and I really needed to talk to Cho Hee unnie but she isn’t here today. Is it a coincidence that I have a bad feeling in my body and brain, even more so my heart, that something regrettable will happen today?

Lots of different questions haunt my brain, wondering as to why this was happening to me. I don’t think Cho Hee unnie has seen my ‘condition’ yet because I had huddled up in my seat before she could tell. The frustration is causing me to freeze up even more. I can see the white mist of my cold breath on a day that would be deemed perfect.

You see, I'm a cause and effect chain reaction.

When something upsets or excites me, my body will change to cold or hot. Yes, just like everyone else and you think that’s it’s pointless that I'm explaining this to you, but mine is heightened dangerously compared to anyone else’s. The bad pit in my stomach is twisting my insides with anxiety so hard that when I leave my hand on an object for more than 10 seconds, it’ll start to frost up. I'm scared to touch anyone because I fear that I might freeze burn their skin with my -30 degrees Celsius hands. It’s never happened before…

“Hey, are you okay?”

I jumped from the sound of Jihyo’s voice on my right, hand holding my chest as if my heart was pushing to leave as I had to take deep breaths from the jump stare. Massive blows of white mist were leaving my mouth, straightaway warming up into nothing but Jihyo caught on. “___? What’s wrong?” I could see the worry in Jihyo’s eyes, and soon I heard Mina on my left side waking up from her lazy slumber.

“I-I'm o-o-okay.” My teeth were chittering slightly from the lack of body heat I had. “Hm? What happened?” Now Mina could tell that something was wrong with me, a bit delayed but still… I really didn’t want to bring them into this or to make them worry. “N-nothing is wrong with me, I promise.” I could tell Jihyo wanted to say something but she was biting her lips to stop herself, but I think Mina somehow bought my lie because she went back to her sleep.

“___, do you know the answer to this question?” I froze, even more if possible, when I heard Cho Hee unnie suddenly question me. Again on instinct, Mina and Jihyo went back to looking to the front while reading the board ‘innocently’. “U-U-um… w-what was the q-q-question again?” I could see Cho Hee unnie looking at me with a raised eyebrow, unsatisfied with the compliance I gave. “I asked, what is the Domino Effect?” Well thank god it was something I knew. “The D-D-Domino Effect is a th-theory that if one c-country were to fall under c-communism, then n-nearby countries would f-fall as well.” I watched as the cold mist from my mouth start to haze my view of unnie. I’m sure she could see it now; she was furrowing her eyebrows as she complimented me in a low voice. “Good ___… Very good. Free time everyone, you’ve got 10.” She then went to her desk, opening a manila file/folder and taking out a red pen. They were probably some sort of topic test from a different class she had to mark.

I jump once more in my seat, a little contained, when I feel a hand on my leg. It was about where my knee was, but I knew it was dangerous when I knew whose hand it was. The giveaway was that it was my right leg. “Why are you so cold?” I felt a warm tingle near my ear, knowing it was Jihyo who was whispering to me. “I d-don’t th-think you should-” “Not this time ___, Myoui is asleep now. With those 3 gone you can’t run away from me like last time.” I wasn’t saying it as a ‘Take your hand off you ert.’ way. I was generally scared if her hand was staying on my leg because there was a chance I might accidently freeze them. If I wasn’t freezing almost everything I touch then I wouldn’t mind it… weirdly… even though I don’t like the girl. I’m still iffy about her, about her though. Especially after last time.

Yep, there was a last time that this happened. Specifically yesterday.

Yesterday ~

It was Maths class, you were lucky enough to have it with someone you knew. In fact, you knew at least one person in your classes, it was perfect. As usual, Jihyo sits on your right and Sana was on the left instead of Mina. It was weird how you were always next to at least someone you knew, but you definitely weren’t complaining. On Sana’s behalf. Jihyo was a tad different.

“Y’know, you don’t have to stick to those 3.” Anybody would think that the oh so innocent school president was helping me out as she randomly points to things on the board and the page. You could see the teacher giving an approving look to the both of you before turning back to the board. “I don’t know what you're talking about Jihyo.” I muttered, loud enough for only the two of us to hear. “You know damn well what I mean. The J-Trio are stealing you away from me.” “You say it as if I’d belonged to you in the first place.” “Well I bet I’m the first to see all of you.” That made me grip my pen hard, I’m sure it’ll start to melt in seconds. I didn’t need to turn or look to see Jihyo smirking at my reaction, but I still did. Funnily enough, I liked it. What the hell is wrong with me?!

“Stop it Jihyo.” I’m glad to hear Sana’s voice on my other side, hearing Jihyo say “Ugh, whatever.” before she went back to actually working. I turned to Sana, giving a small smile to her as she did back. It confuses me though, how I can like the smirk of someone so… I won’t say it, and someone so sweet. It makes no sense.

~

“Jihyo, you can’t-” “But I want to and I will, now stay still before Ms Moon or Mina sees.”

My breath hitched when I felt her hand move up slide up my leg maybe an inch, probably because she felt my skirt start to hike. I’m still confused as to how her hand wasn’t falling off right now, also as to why I was starting to warm up. Then I felt an arm link and wrap around my right one, knowing it was Jihyo’s I slightly stiffened. She was still supposedly near my ear, proving myself right when I felt her chin on my shoulder. What the hell was she doing?

“You know you're really pretty ___.” This girl was really pushing my patience, but I still couldn’t push her away. “You say that a lot.” I manage to let out through my gritted teeth. “Is that so? Have I said that you're cute?” “Yes.” “How about hot?” That one threw me off, like hard-core threw me off. “Hmm… I guess I haven’t. Well now I got something new. You're really hot.” “Jihyo-” “You’ve enticed me ever since that meeting in the locker rooms, I can’t keep my eyes off you.” “I really-” “And guess what?” I had a feeling I was going to regret asking but…

“What is it Jihyo?”

“I wasn’t kidding, because you aren’t cold anymore.”

‘RING’

I was completely frozen in my seat, no not frozen as in cold, as Jihyo slid her way off of me and out of the classroom. Of course she didn’t leave without giving me her signature smirk and a playful wink at the end. God I hate this girl!

“Let’s go ___.”

After school ~

Fridays were the best, literally. It means that I can leave school early because my dropped English class was now a free period. I left right after lunch ended, glad to be free from the world of education. I need freedom you know, I’d been stressing too much recently.

When I was on the lawn of my house, I turned to see the house on the left of me had a ‘For Sale’ sign being pulled out by a guy that’s probably a tradie. A large truck was right in front, and a few other guys were carrying stuff like tables, couches, and chairs next door. It must be the new neighbours; I remember getting a notice on Wednesday that the house would hold an auction. I didn’t know those processes were that quick. Whoever was moving in was most likely rich as transferring money can usually take a long time. Then I see a cupboard being held by… no one? It’s just floating in the air, making its way out of the truck. I’m confused as to what’s happening until I see a girl coming out of the truck about a metre away from the cupboard. She has her hand out, palm forward as she moves along with the furniture. Only one thing pops into my head when I see that.

Telekinesis.

I didn’t think someone would have the direct power of controlling anything they wanted, I’d only seen specific objects like me being water and fire, but that goes a little bit more mental as well. I think I can do ice but oh well.

The girl has very short brown hair, as in shorter than a normal bob cut which makes her look extremely mature. Don’t forget the signature blue clip because why not. She had a normal white button up, with a blue blazer and a blue skirt that had red pocket linings and a white stripe lining at the bottom. Her top had a blue, red and white band? Around her chest which added a nice style to it. Stupidly, that’s when I realised that she goes to my school. I know she’s definitely not in my grade, so maybe a grade lower, even though you could see she was quite short. I was pretty tall I guess, maybe about Joy’s height who was also close to Tzuyu’s height but maybe a bit shorter. Probably by a cm or 2.

I didn’t realise I’d been staring at this girl until she noticed and I instantly blushed… wait what? I blushed? Weird… never done that before, but then again, I'm never caught studying a person discreetly. She gave me a polite smile and a small wave to which I returned before she continued walking into her home through the front door. I noticed she had to pass a couple and a man that was in his 20’s in front of the house.

The guy straight up looked like a butler, the long vest, pants, shirt, gloves, even the classic tie. He had his hands straight and by his side, his black hair side parted and combed roughly to make a casual fringe. The guy in the white tux, who you believe is your new neighbour’s father, looked about 40 ish. He was smiling happily with the lady who which you presumed was his wife. She was wearing a black dress, silk maybe? and I could notice a black pearl necklace and matching earrings with her hair in a bun. She looked about 40 ish as well.

They didn’t notice me so I quickly went into the house. Of course, as usual, it was cold, a bit colder than usual but oh well. Can’t do anything about it can I? She’s already taking meds and they don’t do . Come to think of it, they're pretty useless aren’t they? They’re sleeping pills, but I don’t understand what the hell she would need them for.  She didn’t have trouble falling asleep before, and when we went to the hospital she wasn’t prescribed them either. All I remember is that they randomly called and recommended the meds so that it’ll help stabilise her conditions. Stabilise my , they haven’t done .

I quickly drop my bag in my room and run to the cupboard in the kitchen where the medicines and first aid are kept. I see the familiar labelled bottle, taking it quickly and reading all that’s written. First it says its ingredients/contents and whatever, to which I don’t understand properly because I hate chemistry. Next are the warnings, just what I need.

Warning: Taking this medication may cause drowsiness, light-headedness, tingling in hands and feet, change in appetite, constipation, diarrhoea or dry mouth.

Not recommended if patient is unstable and depressed, may lead to intentional overdose of drugs.

What the hell.

‘Ting’ I hear my phone text tone from my room, and I harshly place the bottle on the table before my body decides to throw it in the bin. I’ll have to ask someone about these pills, and then take her to therapy, what she really needs for her depressed state.

When I get to my room, I feel a gust of wind greet me. Weird, because I don’t remember opening my window when I left. Oh wait no I did... Whoops. I ignore the opened window, quickly going to my desk I checking who in the world was texting me. Now I’d given my number to Sana Mina and Momo already. I can tell Jihyo is urging to ask me because I’ve seen her stare at my phone one too many times when I leave it on the table.

Unknown Number:

Text me babe, I miss you. Only 9 days till you're mine again xoxo

It was that damn person again, whoever it was. I unlock my phone and confirm it, that it was the one who sent the text on Monday. I open the keyboard, hesitating on what to type.

‘Do I say hi? Who is this? Play along and say I miss you? Why I can’t call them? How do they know me?’ I go with the obvious response.

You: Who the hell are you

Unknown Number: I’m hurt baby-girl

You: Don’t call me that

Unknown Number: You’re so commanding baby, I don’t like it

You: Good

Unknown Number: I know

Because I love it

You: you

Unknown Number: Gladly

Give me 9 more days

I’ll make sure you can’t walk

You: I’m blocking you

Unknown Number: No can do babe, you don’t know this number so you can’t do

In fact

I can do a lot to your phone

;)

You: Whatever you're doing

Stop it

y Cat Eyes: Too late baby-girl

You: What the hell did you do!?!

y Cat Eyes: I think it fits

Don’t you think

You: DON’T IGNORE ME

CHANGE IT

y Cat Eyes: Sure

You: Thank you

y Cat Eyes: Anything for you baby girl

Baby Kitty: It’s still the same

WHAT THE HELL

I SAID TO CHANGE YOURS BACK
NOT MINE

y Cat Eyes: Whoops

;)

Baby Kitty: HOW DID YOU EVEN DO THAT!

THIS IS BLOODY TEXT

NOT AN APP!

 

y Cat Eyes: But this is soooo much better

Plus I have my ways

Baby Kitty: That’s it

I'm going

Bye

Whoever the hell you are

y Cat Eyes: Bye kitty

xoxo

 

“.” I exclaimed as I put the phone down. “ !” This was not what I wanted. This person could hardcore hack my phone. If they can do that, they know where I live, about school and a lot of other things. I hear the window slightly shake and another gust of wind fills the room. Maybe I need some fresh air.

Outside my window, there is a long and steady tree branch from the tree on the side of the house. I’ve sat on the branch more than once, and it’s surprisingly a very calm activity, even though I could fall. Did I ever mention that the house is 2-storeys? Downstairs is nothing but the stairs to the front door, everything is cramped upstairs though. The tree stump part is situated right next to the fence that separates our house and the house on our left.

I had to carefully lift the window a bit more, giving me enough space to slide out and balance myself on the branch. I have to use the wall a bit, but I quickly manage to let go, quickly stepping my way to the ‘Y’ part of the tree and sitting myself right next to the connecting dip part. This was refreshing, no teachers and students to bug me, to bore me, to frustrate me in ways I didn’t know. I guess that’s why people hate school, only 1 week and I was already dying. But this… to be able to stay outside and still be safe and not be on alert for any gangs to roll up in their cars and start a gun war. This was what life was really meant to be about, not be forced by your father to harm other people. Though I am still wary about whoever is hacking my phone, I need to relax.

Maybe 10 minutes in, my eyes are closed as my legs are swinging in the air, of course my arms are locked in position and holding the branch in case. I’m currently imitating what I’d seen a child do when I was at the park with Tzuyu. I thought it was childish, but that would be a stupid thought because it was a child doing so. It is childish for me though, but I never got the proper luxuries of a child so excuse me if I do misbehave.

‘Tap tap tap’

 I jolted when I heard the tapping of a window, almost falling backwards but I managed to use my weight and pull me back forwards. At that point, I forgot where that sound had come from; thinking immediately that it was my window. When I turned, it was still open though.

‘Tap tap’

There it was again. My head snapped to where it really came from, which was on the other side, to the window of the house next to us. It was that girl, the girl you saw leave the truck while moving the cupboard. She noticed I finally looked and waved before she slid the window open. She didn’t use her hands though. I watched it snap up in a click before she poked her head through. “Uh hi…” She looked like she was hesitating to talk to me, as if afraid to talk to me. I’m pretty sure that’s my fault though, she’s nervously smiling and I haven’t said anything. Oh my god I should probably smile. “Hi there.” I tried my best to give a friendly smile as I waved to her and she flashed me a nice smile. But it wasn’t just nice, it looked so cheeky and playful yet so innocent. I could tell why instantly. Hey teeth, the side ones, I don’t know what they're really called, they're sharp and pointed a bit more than what one would normally would have. She’s like a little tiger.

“So… what’s your name?” I didn’t even realise we’d been staring that long, crap. “I’m  Kwon ___, your new neighbour.” I raised my hand to shake hers but I stopped and quickly retreated when I realised how stupid that would’ve been. “I’m Son Chaeyoung. Can I sit there?” Her finger pointed to the spot next to you, and you nodded and watched as Chaeyoung walks on the tree branch care-free and sit down like you're not 6 metres above the ground. “My powers would save me if I fell so it doesn’t really matter. What about you though? You could die?” That’s cute. “Not really, I mean I might drown but I won’t die I guess.” I saw the way her eyebrows furrowed at me with a questioning look. Oh… “I can control fire and water, maybe even ice but I'm not completely sure.”

“Ahhh… So you're like Fireboy and Watergirl together…”

I have no idea who the hell they are. She must’ve realised that when I didn’t react but just stared at her unknowingly. “You don’t know who they are?” I shook my head a no. She smiles mischievously this time, only because she doesn’t shine her sharp teeth and lowers her head lightly to create an effect on her eyes. I can’t say it’s a smirk but it seems like something I would regret.

2 hours later ~

It’s about 6ish now… I don’t know if I regret it or not. I’d spent that whole 2 hours gaming on my laptop with her, still am in fact. We alternated characters each level and I wish it never ended. Eventually, good things come to a stop though

‘Ring’ (A/N because I don’t know how to onomatopoeia ringtones)

Chaeyoung quickly paused the game and rolled on her back while checking her phone. “Hello? I… went to meet our neighbours, the ones on our right. Okay then.” She hung up the phone, stood up and I followed. “You're going home now?” She meekly nodded, and I felt myself disheartened that she had to leave. I’d probably laughed the most in those 2 hours… I guess it’s not that bad that she’s leaving though, she’s across the window for me.

I watched as she started to walk towards the window, but I quickly got up and stopped her. “Hey, where are you going?” “Uhhhh home?” She looks confused as to why I'm stifling my laugh. “How about you leave through the front door then?” “Oh right.” She bloomed a red tint on her cheeks as I giggled at her embarrassment.

So we walked down, walked her out, and bothered to take her to her house because its only a 10 second walk so why not. She knocked on the door, her mother answering while wearing the same outfit I saw her in before. “Oh… Chaeyoung you're back. Who is this young lady?” I give out my hand for a shake ad she gives in while I answer her. “Kwon ___ miss, I live on the house on the right of you.” I pointed towards our house and her gaze followed. “Ahh I see, did you want to join us for dinner?” “Oh no its okay miss, I was just waking Chaeyoung here.” “Alright then, take care.” I walked off and waved as Chaeyoung entered the house.

They seemed nice.


Hi guys, Meow here! I roughly edited this so el me if somethinglooks very much retarded... Also i literally made a timetable for the classes this oc has for the wole week. I have no idea ify'all want it but i'm going to stick to it... Have fun :)