A New Cafe, A New Person

The Balance of Fire and Water

Let’s continue from the wake up early stuff from before :)


 

7:00 ~

I was almost ready to leave home.

I already made breakfast for mom and left it by the bedside table. Her body clock usually woke her up at this time so it was okay for me to leave early.

My hand was ready to pull open the door by the handle, but before I did, I realised I forgot a part of my oh so precious but plain uniform. It was a clip. Just a plain red clip, but it was kind of big. Apparently that was the biggest indicator of if someone went to our school, since everyone has one.   

So by the time I managed to find it in my room, it was already 5 past. I know it was only 5 minutes but I tend to be picky about my time managements. So I left the house, and head out to the street. There happen to be 3 ways of going home.

  1. The park, the longest yet most peaceful
  2.  Through the town’s street which is a moderate distance, maybe a few people walking the streets with side shops like cafés and mini supermarkets.
  3. The one I dread the absolute most. Most of the girls flood the shopping mall which happens to be the route which is closest to my house. I only knew this before I enrolled, and I now hate the place since I don’t want to be recognised. Everyone at school is a social butterfly, actually most but still.

So I started walking down the street. I saw a café open; it looked fairly new considering how I could see a girl with long red hair trying to carry 2 boxes that looked like they were slipping. The entrance is of 2 doors that are wide open, with a discreet step up when you try to go in. I guess the girl holding the boxes couldn’t see it since I saw her almost drop the boxes she was holding.

Almost.

I happened to be about 5 metres away as I was walking and ran while my bag decided to constantly kick my waist. I feel like I’ll get bruises from it but I guess I can’t prevent that since my arms needed to catch the girl AND the box that looked heavy. Okay no, it was definitely heavy as I managed to catch the box mid-air before it could disfigure when I hits the tiled inside of the building.

“Woahhh… easy there.” “Oh my god, thank you!”

Wow, now that I could see this girl, she was really pretty, like reallyyyyyyyyy pretty... and hot. Is that weird? Wait that makes no sense if I think it’s weird, I'm pan… (A/N Panuality is the uality similar and often confused to biuality except its loving someone based on their personality. That doesn’t mean you aren’t ually attracted to someone based on their looks, lust is there but you care more about feelings.)

But I still won’t love, I don’t want that pain. I believe that anyone who loves is a masochist or sadist for heartbreak, with a small obsession for someone. That then turns into greed, and then desertion. Even if I’m not talking about mom. I still have a small history with the pain but… that’s for another time.

Back to the girl though…

 She had sharp eyes, which was interesting because it made her look very mature. Maybe she was, she looked like she in her first year of university or she was in her late years of school and had gone through puberty much younger than others.

I gave smile to her and she gave me one back, and her smile popped out more than her eyes when she did. I had completely forgotten about the box in my hand until my arms were starting to ache. “Let me, I’ll help you.” “Oh, thank you.” I was mindful about the step and she was as well this time.

The café was probably almost finished with installing different machines for the place to start since ripped boxes were placed messily on the side. Square tables were paired up and stacked to make more room and the chairs were put away in a pile by the corner. The main scheme was red, white and yellow but only mostly white to keep it subtle. Everything was so flawless and new since it literally was new but… it looked so satisfying.

The girl placed the box on the counter which was surrounded by Styrofoam from other boxes. I placed the one in my hands next to her one and she dusted her hands while saying “Done!” Then she turned to me, and that’s when I noticed the name tag which was on what I could recognise now as a uniform shirt. It was just a plain button up with red lining, and on the right side was a logo in red with a name tag underneath. The emblem had the name ‘Red Velvet’, just like the cake, and her name tag read ‘Joy’. She was wearing those white denim shorts which didn’t seem like uniform but the store hadn’t opened yet so it was probably okay.

“Thank you so much…” She gave her hand out for a shake and looked at me as if waiting for something, but I quickly picked up on it. “___ Kwon.” I gave her my hand, and she was warm… heavenly I tell you. “Sooyoung Park.” We let go of our hands mutually and I look at her as if she said the most bizarre thing ever. Okay well she kind of did, her nametag says Joy yet her name is Sooyoung. “I like to keep my name private but… you seem cute so I’ll let you know. You can call me Sooyoung, or Joy, or unnie because you look a bit younger.” She winked and left me dumbfounded as she went behind the counter, and I took that as my cue to leave the store since I didn’t want to seem weird. So I put my head down and was about to leave the store but I smashed into the door and ouch… wait…. THERE WAS NO BLOODY DOOR BEFORE!

When I shook my head and tried to shake my body naturally from the harsh contact, I looked up and saw nothing in front of me. But it made no sense because I crashed into something… and then I heard a daring chuckle coming from behind me. I looked back to see Joy propped up on her elbow while waving, a smirk on her face. Oh lord, not another one.

 I held my hand in front of me, and I felt the ‘wall’ that I walked into. It was smooth, hard since I tried to push through it and ended up making my finger strain… I guess. That’s when it clicked.

I looked back at the girl who was leaning on the counter, still slightly confused but I had a straight face on. It wasn’t my usually harsh straight face though, because I tucked my lips into my mouth into my mouth to make me look innocent, but I did have my eyebrows furrowed with confusion as to why she wouldn’t let me leave. She walked over to the stacks of chairs and tables, pulling out a table and 2 chairs. She sat down on one and motioned for me to sit, I hesitantly did and took my shoulder bag off, putting it on the ground. She wasn’t opposite me, so she was pretty close.

I didn’t say anything when I sat down, but Sooyoung looked amused as she watched me keep still. “I didn’t hurt you, did I?” I shook my head; I probably looked like an innocent puppy. “How? Also why?” “How? My power of force fields… As to why, I like your company, you're comfortable even though we met only a few minutes ago. You have time anyways; school starts at 8:45, its only 7:13 right now. Anyways, didn’t you the green when you walked?” I shook my head once more; there definitely was no green in front of me when I touched the force field she made. She looked at me sceptically, making me slightly fidget my fingers to keep still, but then a wide smile made it onto her face. “You can’t see it yet. Want to?” “Okay.”

Her hands slowly made their way up to my head, I moved back a bit because flashbacks of Mina came back. Joy stopped her hands as well, nodding her head in a way of saying ‘it’s okay’. I gave a nod back and she led her hands back to my face. I felt like melting at her warm hold, but I flinched when she swiftly placed her face about 3 inches away from mine. My eyes widened and she could probably see the panic in my eyes but she chuckled before reassuring “What? It’s not like I'm going to kiss you. Or do you want me to?” My cheeks were probably starting to redden, and Joy smirked once more when she noticed. More flashbacks of Mina came back because it was just like what’s happening now.

“Damn, you're hot.”

“Wh-What?” I'm pretty sure my ears are burning, my face is red, and I'm going to either faint or set the next thing I touch on fire.

“Sshh… Let me do this first.”

That’s when she suddenly went serious in 0.2 seconds, and her eyes were looking right into mine. They looked as if they were trying to crawl their way through my mind. She was concentrating hard; I could tell since her touch was starting to heat up, I'm sure it isn’t just my cheeks since those cooled down with my water side.

“What is with your eyes... I can’t see a damn thing in them.” My powers were probably getting defensive since someone is trying to do something with me. I could feel her hands starting to heat up a bit more, and I'm sure I’ll start to sweat in a minute. I placed my hands on hers that are holding my face and closed my eyes while I breathed out. “Wait… my powers won’t let you. Just… keep your hands on; it’ll let me get used to you.” I whispered out, it somehow makes my body calm when I do so.

“Will it be faster if I do this?” “What?”

I opened my eyes quickly when she said that, unsure as to what she could mean, but then I saw her swiftly come closer to me, and I felt something on my lips. They were gone before I could push away though and I watched Joy pull away from my face. She did just… no she actually… SHE KISSED ME!

My eyes widened when I came to the conclusion, but Joy went back to looking straight into my eyes, and my mouth was slightly agape from shock. Then I watched her eyes glow a dark green, they lingered a while before fading away and she pulled back with a smile as if she didn’t just kiss me.

“There! Now, do you see the force field in front of us?”

A green square, a similar shade to her eyes then faded in front of the two of us. It was transparent except for the colour, but everything else was fine.

“See it now?” This time I could nod my head yes, and then I realised on the table she was holding her palm forward, that’s probably how she was controlling it. Her hand rested back onto the table and the force field disappeared before us.

“Why was it so hard for me to fix your eyes? I literally saw a flame in your eyes when I was looking for the trigger. Afterwards though, it was water and I could go through it.” She seemed worried or distressed when she asked me. “My powers are complicated. I'm in control of fire and water; I make it, destroy it, and manipulate it or whatever. I was tensed when you tried at first, but then you… WAIT YOU KISSED ME!” She didn’t seem bothered by my outburst, or flinch when I pointed a finger towards her… collarbone… yeah let’s just say that.

She leaned forward, my finger getting pushed back by her chest as she whispered close to me “It was just a small one though, don’t tell me you want more ___.” I tensed and started to push myself against the chair as much as I could, I was suddenly weak. She had a victorious smile on her when she went back to her seat. I relaxed when she did so, and my fingers started to touch my lips delicately.

“What? Don’t tell me that was your first kiss.”

“No… not that.” It’s true… but that’s another story.

“Not into girls?”

“N-No, it’s definitely not that.”

“Then do tell what’s happening in that unique yet perplexing mind of yours.”

“I just remembered something from 2 years ago… weird…”My eyes started to trail off to a painting that I didn’t notice on the wall next to the exit. It was of a bunch of roses, about 5 in a basket. They were all each of a colour, purple, green, blue, yellow and red. It was definitely hand done, and in the corner I saw a signature. It was cute, but the J was unmissable from far.

“Like it? It was a project in Art.” I heard Joy say in front of me. “What are they? Do they represent anything or anyone?” “Well the green one is me, the rest are my best friends. Youngest to oldest from left to right, purple is the youngest and I'm obviously the green one.” She was smiling softly this time, probably reminiscing memories. “Where are they now?” “The older 3 are coming in the afternoon so yeah, they finished school a few years ago. The purple one is in school, I'm sure she’s 2 years below you. The other three don’t have powers though, they moved here maybe a few years back.”

‘2 years below? Tzuyu might know her.’

“And you Joy? What are your plans?”

“Well I'm in a studying period at school if that’s what you’re wondering. Exams are happening right now, but I’ve already done mine so I'm helping my unnies help with the café.” She glanced at hanging on the wall before standing up. “___, its 8:30 already, I think you should go to school.” I would’ve gotten up but I pulled her hand down to make her sit, I could see the shock on her. “It’s okay Joy; I actually don’t have a class right now. I start at after break since I dropped English.”

“Why? Is English too hard?”

“Nope… too easy.”

1 and a half hours later ~

By the time I left the café, Joy offered me a nice hot chocolate with a job in the place. I wouldn’t mind it, there is mom to worry about, but that’s usually just for dinner. It would be nice to give mom things for once. It was probably half way through break, and I didn’t mind that one bit since I had the drink.

By now, I was just walking through the empty hallways, I saw a bin and I was about to drop the cup but I caught it once I saw a marker scribble on the part my hand held the cup. I smiled when I read the text.

‘Don’t forget me or my kiss ___. I wouldn’t mind another though, your lips are soft. Call me later hun.’ Next to it was a heart and a winky face. Damn this girl.

I quickly put the cup in the bin, and then walked off to cafeteria. It was filled, obviously, but it was more rowdy than yesterday, but maybe that’s because everyone is different between now and lunch. Half the girls were sitting on the tables as their feet rested on the seats itself, I would probably do that to, if I could find the 3 Japanese girls.

“WAAAH! ___ IS HERE!”

I didn’t need to look anywhere now that I could hear the girls squealing, but I didn’t need to walk since Momo speedily since I could feel her back hug me straightaway. Her arms were around my waist as her chin hooked to my shoulder, walking and pushing me to the table. I’m not sure where her rush of affection came from, I didn’t mind it one bit though, it was rather comforting.

“Where were you before ___? I was lonely…” I looked to the side to see Momo pouting slightly as we walked to the other 2, the sight made me smile brightly, she looked rather cute. “I saw a new café in town so I just wanted to go there, had a nice time there. Why? Miss me already?” Momo kept quiet when I said that, then 5 seconds had passed when I felt heat on my stomach. I looked down it was still only Momo’s arms there. The heat wasn’t bad since it was a nice heat, maybe I’d affected her with my words because that’s what someone would do when they're flustered.

Cute.

We reached the table, I sat next to Sana and opposite Mina, Momo was next to Mina and opposite Sana. They started to talk about some new store in the shopping mall, a place which I dreaded so I started to zone out. I don’t know why but I ended up focusing on a girl in the distance behind Mina. She had reddish orange hair, long and wavy. When she turned to the right, her hand covered as I presume she was probably laughing. I only saw one half of her face, and I could see she had slight cat-like eyes, also her cheeks puffed a little when she smiles. I know that because she suddenly was shocked when the friend next to her probably said some sort of breakthrough or whatnot. Maybe she’s in the above years like Joy, she seems mature as well.

The girl next to her looked really familiar, straight black hair that reaches halfway down her back. The girl looked to her right, as if looking for something, and then to her left. She looked cautious since all her other friends were laughing over something whereas she kept looking left and right. Then she turned around and… .

My eyes widened when I realised that I had been watching Jihyo the whole time. When she saw it was me, she smirked, giving me a wink before turning back. Mina must’ve seen my reaction when Jihyo turned to face me since she turned around and saw that I was staring at her.

“You okay ___?” Sana said next to me, suddenly all the attention was to me. Before I could answer and say I was okay, Mina cut in. “She was staring at Jihyo.” “N-No I wasn’t, I was just looking that way coincidentally.” A chuckle left Momo as she was quick to retort. “Your stuttering says otherwise silly. Anyways, Jihyo is bad news.” Mina could see my confusion instantly, why would she be bad news; unnie was talking high of her yesterday. “Actually, that whole table is pretty much trouble. If we separate students into groups of education and entertainment, that group will probably be on its own.” Even though the girls were talking lowly about them, it only made my curiosity about them much higher.

“Who’s who? I mean… so that I can be careful around them.”

“Jihyo, as you know, may seem like a good girl with the way she uses her powers, but she can figure anything out. Nothing is safe since she can see anything, all secrets come out. Nayeon, the red head, is a social butterfly, she practically knows everything about everyone, probably you as well since she’s sitting with Jihyo right now. Don’t be surprised if she does things perfectly though, she can repeat a small length of time limitlessly. She could’ve tried to do something 100 times and get it right, but all we’d see is her flick a black stick thing and then you’ll see her flawless attempt. Then there’s Jeongyeon, the blonde that’s opposite Jihyo. She’s probably the most serious out of the 3… and the flirtiest out of them all. If she isn’t one of those things, she’ll probably shrug off anything you say to her. She may flirt a lot, but she’s never serious about relationships so don’t bother with her. Jeongyeon has a dangerous power though, freezing time for however long she wants. She could do anything she wants in that time. Anything.”

“Wow…” I didn’t know what to say when I heard Momo explain the details about the girls sitting there. Looks can deceive well, they didn’t seem bad or-

Actually never mind, Jihyo was there so… lmao.

“One thing they all have in common though, they all have full confidence within themselves and serve an influence upon the younger grades.” Sana next to me seemed to be an angel and try to not bad talk them, but Momo of course can degrade them even lower. “Basically stuck up seniors that think they have a lot of power in the school. Jihyo is probably the least scariest out of 3, considering how she actually does help students from time to time, but they’re all sly so…”

‘Ring’

The bell rang as soon as Momo finished talking, and I took more cautious glances to the 3 at the back. Maybe this school isn’t all that innocent as I thought. We all stood up, Momo and Sana going to their respective classes whereas I walked with Mina. She didn’t say anything on the way to the classroom, very quiet, but I did notice her take small glances to my hand that was on her side while walking.

We entered the classroom, of course Jihyo sitting in the usual place on the right of the desk that’s now ‘named’ mine. Mina sat on my left, and she focused to the front of the classroom. I don’t know what was wrong with her, maybe she was blanking out like I did during break, but I did feel the slight shiver when she suddenly felt colder.

‘Should I ask?’ Before I could say a word, my other side was suddenly getting warmer, scratch that, hotter. I snapped my head to the other side, Jihyo wearing her smirk like she did during break when she caught me staring, just like I did of her right now.

“Yes Jihyo?” “You're cute.” ‘Wow… straight up, that isn’t good… what’s this girl up to?’ I rolled my eyes before going back to looking at Mina. She was resting her head on her arms that were slightly crossed on the table. She wasn’t looking towards the front anymore since the left side of her face was on her arms, making her face me with her eyes closed. Her temperature was still lower than usual. Pretending I wasn’t staring at her the whole time and worrying, I placed my hand on hers that was near me. She flinched at first, but then she noticed it was my hand and let it rest, that’s when I started to warm her up so that she wouldn’t be sad anymore. I could feel her warming up instantly, sand as I sneaked a peek to see Mina; she was smiling unconsciously as she was resting.


So um... yeah i know that was drastic but uh... this story has been like that since the start so... expect more random big drops like that XD