I Can't Stop

The Balance of Fire and Water

'RINGGGG'

 

“Oh, time for.... OOOH SPORTS!” Momo jumped up in realisation, finishing the tour with an “Okay, so this is where we meet up for sports because it's the change rooms so... DAMMIT I LOST MY UNIFORM! I'll be back in a sec ___.” Momo speedily left me in front of the change rooms. 'Okay then.... I'll just change as she comes back.'

Walking into the change rooms, I bumped into a girl, dropping my stuff in the process. “Oh sorr-..... ryy....” The girl that was recovering from the contact was now staring at my body.... specifically my chest area. I noticed her her lips hungrily, her eyes glowing a light blue now. As I bent down to get my stuff from the ground, her eyes widened, as if longing for my..... shirt?

 

The door suddenly slammed open, but I didn't flinch, but the girl in front of me seemed to let out a yelp. “OKAY IM BA-.....” Momo seemed to feel the tension as she scowled at the girl in front of me. Momo jumped in front of me, her body covering mine as if protecting me as she said. “Yah Jihyo, stop looking!” Now this surprised me, Momo was so bubbly and kind in class, her loud tone kind of scared me. “You know.... I can just see through you as well.” 'See through you as well....? I guess she has the power to see through stuff. She probably saw my chest, but I couldn't care less.'

 

Normally one would scream 'ERT', slap the person and then run away. But not me. All of those reactions/emotions left me after the fire incident.

 

1 year ago ~

“SHE SEEMS TO BE IN SHOCK!”

 

The stinging sensation surged through my body as I trembled from the cold. It made no sense. I was fully covered, wrapped in the blanket that the firefighter gave me.

 

“Wait.... WAIT!” My body practically froze at the over stressed doctor’s orders. Suddenly, heat was spreading through my body, painfully fast. “EVERYBODY GET OUT OF THE ROOM!” I could hear the stampede of doctors leaving the room, locking the operation room door in the process. I sat up, wanting to itch the unwanted pain away as I took off the blanket. I wasn't thinking straight, looking towards the tray filled with surgical tools and grabbed the scalpel. I couldn't hear properly now that the heat was reaching up my neck, to my ears and head, but I could tell that my screams were probably high pitched screeches. With the hand that had the scalpel, I started to reach behind my back, cutting through the skin to somehow release the heat. The shirt that I had on was now slightly cooling the skin as the blood soaked into the fabric. The warm yet cold liquid was starting to drip onto the clean white floor, smudged red footprints on the ground because of my bare feet. My throat was now starting to hurt, my screams tiring out my voice box as I dropped the scalpel onto the ground, now able to hear the slight clink it made. Due to the loss of blood, pain, and fear, I started to get dizzy, the itch on my body now reducing as it was fully consumed by the stinging pain on my back.

 

“Help me....” My voice was small, but it was enough to be heard as the door started to unlock with a click. My vision started to fade once more as I pushed myself backwards into the corner of the room, holding my arms over my chest as I slid down the wall. I could feel the rough wall stinging my wounds as the pain increased, but I couldn't help it as my legs let go, causing me to black out on the wall. The doctors were rushing to my side, but I wasn't conscious to see.

 

Waking up again at the hospital ~

I woke up with a groan, my neck strained with pain as I was lying down on my stomach. Shuffling slightly, I noticed how my chest was clothed in an unusual way. Looking down, from the top of my chest to my lower back, I had been wrapped in one whole bandage that was severely stained with red and brown behind me. Turning my head to the other side, I saw a small remote, buttons listing TV On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Light, and a Help button. With a slight hiss, I brought my hands from my side and clicked the Help button on the remote twice.

 

'SLAM'

 

The door slammed open with what looked like 2 nurses, running to your side with frightened faces as they checked my vitals on the machines. “What happened?!” One of the nurses said. 'Obviously I called you dumb dumbs.' As they scrambled over the machines, I tried to lift myself off my body, causing one of the machines to beep faster than before. “Ah... Can someone please-ow.... help me?” My arms started to shake from the lack of strength, both nurses pulling me up to make me sit up on the bed. “Careful there, your cuts are pretty deep. You have no idea how long it took to stitch them up.” '... so I wasn't dreaming about that stuff.' “H-how long till I can leave?” They seemed shocked as they looked at me, then back to each other to try and find an answer. “Well... we have to make sure your cuts don't open up again. We also have to take off your stitches.” Unfazed by the girl's answer, I asked another question, followed by one that caused them to jump. “Cool... so anything else I should know? Wait.... WHERES MY MOM?!” They flinched from my sudden outburst, the vitals machine now beeping out of control as I filled with rage. “C-Calm down please ___. Your mother is safe, she's just in the other room, resting. She's been slightly malnourished when we took tests.” The water side of me started to calm myself down as I let out deep breaths, the machine now slowing down. The nurse continued on.

 

“But the cuts on your back are...” the nurse didn't finish her sentence, causing the other nurse to let out a deep breath as she looked at you. “The amount of cutting on your back is very spread out on your back and excessive. These cuts will end up being scars that won't heal, so I... suggest you wear less open clothing.” “I see... how many scars are there specifically?” “13 to be exact, some being from the size of a matchstick to going from top to bottom.” Letting out a heavy sigh, I tried to think properly, trying to understand why my body suddenly started to have this ‘spasm’.

 

Present ~

“Don't worry Momo... its ok.” I put a hand on Momo's shoulder from behind, causing her to soften her expression as she looked back at me. The girl in front of us, or Jihyo if you will, was now confused, but she didn't hesitate to continue in what she was doing, a smirk painted on her face. I walked around the two, dropping my stuff on the bench as the two were now glaring at each other. I could feel Momo’s anger radiating off her as Jihyo continued to smirk at her. My back was towards them, grabbing my sports clothes when Jihyo spoke up.

 

“Well since she doesn't min…..nd. Oh .” I could only guess that Jihyo was now looking at my scarred back when she extended the ‘n’, muttering the last part under her breath. The wounds were put together with stitches, which meant more scars to hold the skin together. “What’s wrong?” “Uh-um…. I’m sorry!” Jihyo only left the room with a swift slam of the door, leaving Momo dumbfounded as I gave a small smile back in response. “Don’t worry about it.” Walking into one of the stalls, as if on cue, a small group of students started to enter the room, a few were similar to those in my previous class, whereas others I was unsure about.

 

Stepping out the change rooms all dressed, I noticed Momo leaning on the wall opposite me, giving me a small smile as I approached her. “Hehe, there you are. C’mon, don’t wanna be late now.” I walked side by side by her until we reached the gymnasium, a basketball court with a bunch of seats on the side. The teacher motioned for the two of us over to her, skipping as we complied. “Okay ___, we’ll be playing Super Dunk if that’s okay with you. Momo, make sure you explain to her what the game is.” Momo nodded with a determined expression on her face, whereas I opted for the neutral emotions face. The teacher left the two of us alone, giving Momo enough time to explain the rules as students started to fill the gymnasium.

 

“Okay ___, you ready?” I only nodded unsurely, which wasn’t missed by Momo. “Don’t worry, I reckon you’ll do well in this if you consider your powers.” I nodded more confidently this time, letting Momo continue. “Okay, the aim of the game is like capture the flag, except we dunk the basketball into the hoop. You can only use your powers as an offence or defence and stuff like that, but you can only shoot the ball in with your hands. Okay?” This time, I nodded more confidently; it seemed like a fun game with reasonable rules. “Okay, I think I got it.” “Cool, I’ve gotta help some teachers, it’ll take some time even with my speed, but I’ll be back. Careful with the other girls when you meet them though, they’re a little too… friendly.” And with that, Momo left in me in the blink of an eye.

 

Walking back to the small class of PE, I saw a bunch of girls which I could only deduct as my small class, watching me about 15 metres away from where I stood. My eyes started to slightly blur, leaving a girl that stood out fully focused. I could feel my water urges try to stop me, slightly washing away the blurriness as I started to walk faster. Eventually my water urges stopped appearing, making it easier for me to see the girl now as I strided slowly towards her. I realised that the girl was watching me as I scanned her face. She was cute, even though she had a concentrating? expression, her hair was black, about shoulder length. By now I was only 5 metres away from her, I was now forcing myself to walk towards her since my fire urges suddenly wanted to stop me. ‘What are with my eyes?! And my legs as well! Every step I take towards this girl, it’s like they’re trying to stop me. But why? She doesn’t seem dangerous; in fact, I think I wanna talk to her.’

 

Now my legs were started to heat up, but I couldn’t stop them from moving either, what the hell was happening? I was now in front of her, staring at her with a big smile on my face as I sat in front of her. Her concentration glare was now gone, giving me a wide smile as I spoke up. “H-H-Hi there…” I could feel my eyes start to blur up once more, making the girl in front of me literally shine as if she had visual effects or a light behind her. “Hey there. You’re ___ right?” I nodded excitedly, happy that the girl in front of me was talking to me. “Would you do something for me?” The heat from my legs was still there, in fact, it started to go through my whole body, pulsating at an increasing pace. But even though the heat was spreading, I still managed to nod slightly. I didn’t just feel the heat from my body, but all the stares from the other girls, even the teacher. Looking to my right, I could see the teacher just standing there with a coy smirk on her face, watching as if this were a test. I couldn’t care less though, I looked back to cute girl in front of me, who had a slight smirk on her face as well.

 

“Give me a kiss.”