Prologue - My Dark Past

The Balance of Fire and Water

1 year before I arrived at my new school ~

My life was .

But first, let’s look at some positive stuff….

 I was born with the power to manipulate water from my mother’s side, and at that age, I could create water as well, making me as if I was a water magician. My mother is the only one that makes me not use my powers in case someone finds out and tried to take me away…. Understandable. Mother is the best person though; she took care of me properly, protected me and loved me, all I ever needed. But apparently fate had some other plans.

This is where all the terrible comes into play.

My father was abusive, but not just physically, I mean the whole deal, mentally, emotionally and financially. We lived in the slums, making us vulnerable to shootings since dad was part of illegal . He always wanted to use my powers for the sake of gang wars and , but I restricted myself because of my mother. He didn’t care about me or my mother, always hitting us, cursing and spitting at us with no shame. Dad’s side should’ve given me a power, the power of fire, but apparently mom’s side literally extinguished the flame, leaving me frail with water. He practically blamed us for being broke even though he spends all the money on drugs and alcohol. But this is where it all ends.

I was doing the usual in my room, dipping flowers in alcohol and then setting them on fire, creating an aesthetic image in a darkened room. I was going to try and earn money myself, by being a photographer. Who knows if it’ll really work, but I had to at least try for the sake of mom. I was using my powers to take out the flame, revealing a blackened flower until I heard a noise.

‘BANG’

I dropped the burnt flower from my hands and ran out of my bedroom, thinking the worst. ‘What the hell did he do this time? I swear to god this has to end!’ Skidding into the living room, I was greeted by an angering sight. My father, eyes enlarged with rage as his chest heaved up and down, a smear of blood on his hand as he stared at my mom. Whereas mom was on the ground, holding her face as blood started to drip off her face.

 ‘That’s it! THIS BASTARDS GONNA GET IT!’

I dropped down on my knees in front of mom, supporting her up as I walked her over to the couch as dad started shouting. “You idiot! How dare you interrupt us! GO TO YOUR ROOM NOW!” “No.” My voice was small, but it was enough to be heard across the room. “What did you just say?!” I turned around to face him, now looking him dead in the eye. I noticed some changes on his face now. His eyes were red, like literally, his pupils were glowing red, as if he was about to burst. “I SAID NO!” As soon as I screamed that, my whole body was surging with heat, as if a flame was burning from the inside out. But my hands felt it the most. It wasn’t burning, but it was stinging, but it felt good, great even.

I didn’t pay attention to my hands until mom from behind exclaimed “___ your hands! They’re on fire!” ‘What?’ I brought my hands from my side in front of me, watching the flames go from side to side as my eyes did. ‘F-Fire? I shouldn’t though…. Dad’s side was taken out from the water. That’s imposs-’ “It seems like you are useful for once you brat.” My thoughts were cut off as dad spoke up, he seemed calm now, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t hear the sinister tone in his voice. He tried to approach me, but I was getting pissed off now, so pissed that I could literally see the whole room now starting to burst in flames. “AHH WHAT THE ! ___  STOP THAT! YOURE GONNA SEND THIS WHOLE HOUSE DOWN IN FLAMES!” I looked around, turns out the room was literally on fire.

‘WTF… I was only imagining it… I didn’t think this would really happen.’ Dad was now on the ground, coughing loudly as the smoke alarm went off. I wasn’t coughing for some reason, probably because I was already burning from the inside. ‘! I have to get outta here…. WAIT! MOM!’ I turned around to see mom on the ground, unconscious on the couch as she started coughing as well. The flames on my hands seemed to have gone from the sight, so I pulled her up to stand and dragged her out the room.

“W-WAIT…. ___! HELP ME!” I turned my head back slightly, to see my dad on the ground as flames started to surround him. “Help yourself .” That was all I said as his face contorted into fear. I couldn’t care less of him as I kicked the front door open and waddled my way out with an arm around moms waist.

I guess I couldn’t hear it before but as I made my way out, the fire brigade was there, the horns blaring loudly. But by the time that they started hosing down the house, it was already too late. The roof of the house collapsed with an explosion, sending vibrations through the ground that made me fall with mom in my arms.

The rest was a blur as I started to fade in and out of consciousness, the darkness lasting longer each time as I felt a material on me, then someone taking me away from the house.

“The house is-” “Someone else-” “He’s dead-” “Hospital-”

Those were the only words I managed to understand till I out completely.

Present ~

After the fire incident, mom managed to take out enough money from her and dads bank account to make us relocate. I managed to score a scholarship at a ‘Special Needs for Girls School’ which specialises in taking care of girls that have powers, like me. It took us 1 whole year to find a good house, move in, buy new clothes and fix the details to the school, but the school allowed me to move up to the grade I was meant to be in because I was generally smart.

I only had one rule though… never to love. If love caused all this messed up to happen in my life, then there was no way I would let myself do it. Besides mom… because I protect her and she protects me.

But I could’ve stopped the fire… I could’ve used my water powers… but I didn’t. The thought of me killing my own father makes me want to break down. He deserved it…. But it just proves that I’m a monster.

So here I am now. About to set foot into the new school for girls. I can’t let others know about my past, so I’ll stay expressionless, even though I’m excited, scared and confused.

Who knows what a new school may bring?