Secret Pasts

Someone Worth Everything
Please log in to read the full chapter

(Flashback...?)

Seokjin wasn't really the smartest out there. He got where he got usually because of status, which he gained from his family. No one really expected him to work hard on school because it was really just a formality. But sometime in his second year of high school, he changed.

He stayed up all night, studying and desperately trying to catch up. Once he did, he kept going, dissatisfied with “average”, aiming for “the best”. But second best would have to do.

He'd always been confident in his face, but started using products to obtain nicer skin and wearing makeup. Before, he had worn t-shirts and jeans, but traded them for expensive coats, slender pants, and sweaters. He dyed his hair blonde and pushed himself to be more social, actually being open to having friends. Previously, he'd been annoyed by others, thinking they weren't good enough for him. But someone had a lot of friends, and seemed to like more social people. Also, Seokjin didn't want to seem too conceited. (Although being around lesser people making him look better was an added bonus.)

(Back to present time)

Taehyung was annoyed beyond words. He wasn't able to visit Jungkook anymore, because he was never off work. When he'd been able to get off before, he had to eat lunch or dinner with Sana. He had to spend weekends at events or shopping. The times Jungkook texted him lessened as time went on. It wasn't on purpose, he said. Sana just didn't like it when he was always on his phone. I don't like it when you're always with her. Taehyung knew Jungkook had to. But that didn't mean he could just ignore every time Jungkook had to cancel or didn't reply to a text or didn't answer a call.

He entered his parents' house.

"Taehyungie!" his mother said, running towards him and giving him a big hug. She kissed his cheek. "I'm so happy you could come visit us finally! Come in, everyone's here."

By everyone, she meant his whole family, Taehyung noticed. It wasn't a holiday; the only special thing about that day was that Taehyung was able to visit home. His cousins that lived hours away were there. His grandparents from both sides, and great aunts and uncles, too. 

"Hey..." he said as he entered the living room. A cheer erupted and everyone jumped up to greet him. Taehyung realized some of them he hadn't seen in two or three years. He was no longer able to make it to their annual reunions, so he'd had no chance to.

One cousin, who was little older than Taehyung, was the last to hug him. "Hey," she said in a smooth voice that had always convinced Taehyung she'd be a much better idol than him (and a lot of others).

"It's good to see you, Solji."

She nodded. "Yeah. I missed you." Solji paused. "So you know how you always talk about Jungkook?"

Taehyung blushed. "Do I?" he said, his voice getting higher.

She nodded once again. "Have you met his girlfriend?"

Taehyung bunched his lips together for a second to keep from sprouting the truth. "No, I have not."

Solji sighed. "Oh. I was hoping you'd convince me she's actually a good person and doesn't deserve all the hate. I don't have that much of a crush on him, and I'm a lot older, I know, but I really thought I'd be able to meet him or something, since you two are such close friends. But she's been getting a lot of negativity from people who are a little more extreme than I am, and I'm not sure whether or not I should support her, or if maybe she deserves it."

Taehyung frowned. "Who says you'll never meet him? We're still friends, last time I checked. You don't have any less chance now than you did before."

Solji shrugged. "Well, yeah, but he probably wouldn't see me because he's with someone now. I'll bet she takes up all of his thoughts."

Taehyung bristled. Containing his feelings was becoming increasingly difficult.

Solji pulled Taehyung out of his thoughts. "And, when they kissed, I--"

"THEY WHAT???" Taehyung shouted, garnering everyone in the room's attention. He cleared his throat. "I'm sorry, everyone. Please excuse me for a moment." He stormed out of the house and called Jungkook. "Pick up, pick up, PICK UP DAMNIT." But Jungkook didn't pick up. Instead, the recorded message played and proceeded to upset Taehyung further.

"It's Jungkook, leave a message. And if it's you again, Tae..." Jungkook then sighed into the phone, and the beep sounded.

Taehyung stared at his phone with a look of disbelief. He resisted the urge to throw it on the ground and smash it to a thousand pieces. Just like my heart, thought Taehyung. Damn, Taehyung. That was cheesy and over dramatic. But he was seriously hurt. He didn't see his boyfriend anymore, who was spending all his time with another person. On top of that, Jungkook was getting annoyed just because Taehyung wanted to hear his voice to make up for their time together that had been lost. Taehyung had always known he was a bit... clingy. But he thought Jungkook was okay with that. Yes, Jungkook was a little private, but--

A thought struck Taehyung, deep in his heart. If it took years for him to warm up to me, but a few days for him to give me up and get along great with Sana, and even kiss her, what does that mean? Does he like her that much? He did listen to her when she told him not to text or call me. What if he's in love with her? Taehyung's chest ached, and he needed to get away. To where, he didn't know, since he was already way outside of the city he lived in. He knew that he was jumping to conclusions, but Jungkook wasn't talking to him, and he had no one to tell him he was being ridiculous, so the only thing he could do was believe whatever story his imagination had constructed.

Without saying goodbye, he drov

Please log in to read the full chapter