Friendship on Stormy Day

Seven Days

“You look like a walking zombie” Woohyun commented seeing his friend walking in with a cup of steaming coffee. “You went home on the weekend?”

“Uh, yeah…” Sungjong yawned taking his seat next to Woohyun.

Monday morning, it’s almost been three days since Sungjong last saw or heard from his roommate. He sent a message and tried to call but they all remained unreciprocated. He was supposed to stay the weekend home but Sungjong couldn’t help worrying about his bothersome friend that he only stayed for Saturday dinner and hurriedly went back to the dorms.

“By the way help me return some books at the library later, okay?” Woohyun asked. Sungjong had suggested to his older friend to borrow books from the library instead of buying them to lower their expenses and it seems to have been working quite well.

“You still have your part time job after class right? I’ll return them for you”

“You sure?”

“Yup, I have to borrow some books on ancient architecture anyways” The professor arrived and the students started to take their seats. Sungjong looked around but there was no sign of Myungsoo.

“Hey, sit down already Prof’s looking at you” Woohyun tugged at his classmate’s sleeves.

“Ah, yeah thanks” still no Myungsoo.

The library was has its own building located near the theatre hall and the fourth year’s Arts and modelling building. Since Sungjong’s classroom building was located further back the library he could take the stone path through their small forest park to arrive there in the shortest time.

Sungjong’s POV

Augh. I feel like hell. The coffee did not work at all, I should’ve taken two shots of espresso rather than one. I walked on the stone path towards the library. I didn’t get much sleep thinking the window would open any moment and he would come in drunk again. But he didn’t. He did not even attend class this morning nor did he answer any of my calls.

Should I head back to the dorm? I could have my lunch there since we really have nothing to do in class until the theme for next month’s project is decided. Before that I should pass my …

As I passed some low trimmed bushes I heard voices arguing on the other side. Naturally, my body shifted to locate the voices. I have no intention of getting into other people’s business but this is different. I didn’t know what to do but my body ducked under the bushes as fast as my brain could think.

End of POV

“Why are you so adamant to stay here? How many times do I have to tell you to stop following me around?! What if your brother knew about this?!” the angry voice belonged to a tall and good looking guy.

“Why didn’t you tell me you attended the party with him?” the calm but clearly furious voice was Myungsoo.

“That’s none of your business. How many times do I have to make it clear to you? You’re supposed to go to states to study!”

“So that’s it huh? I wondered why you called for me like this, he told you to talk to me?” Myungsoo’s voice was enraged. “You’ll do anything as long as it’s from him? He doesn’t even know how you feel! To him you’re just a pawn he can use to make things go his way.”

Sungjong blinked as though he confirmed the sounds of a person being slapped right across the face.

“You have no right to talk to your brother like that, you don’t know what he went through just to be make save your family business. You’re his only brother and you’re supposed to be following his steps but what are you doing? Stop with this stupidity of yours and do what is right.”

“Tsk. If I do that will you look at me the way you do to him? Oh right, I tried that didn’t I? But you only treated me like that because he said so” Myungsoo was a sarcastic laugh. “Tell me, are you even planning to tell him how you feel?”

“You. You do whatever you want but if you ever tell Sunggyu I will never forgive you. No matter what you do, you can never replace him” the tall guy angrily stormed off leaving Sungjong’s roommate with an indignant expression on his face.

Sungjong’s POV

                For how long I have been crouching by the bushes hiding, I didn’t know. After the tall guy left, Myungsoo started cursing like crazy I didn’t dare move. Soon enough the park goes silent, I sat on the cobbled path, and trying to make sure I’m not dreaming. Everything suddenly becoming clear to me. The late night rendezvous, the melancholic looks, and the happy forced smile. They were all there to hide something.

                My roommate is in love with a guy, that, I know from the start but it’s only that I finally realized things like this really happen in real life.

                Yes, my roommate is in love with a guy.

                My roommate is in love with his brother’s childhood friend.

                My friend, is in love with his brother’s childhood friend, who in return

                Was in love with his brother

                My friend… Myungsoo

                The rumoured playboy, Myungsoo.

                The guy who women girls would flock to, have been heartbroken all this time.

                Is this even conceivable?

                Am I really getting this?

                Is this really… happening?

                My thoughts have been so muddled I didn’t even notice I was standing in front of the library counter. How I got to the library I have no idea nor do I care. There’s only one thing in my mind, my friend is in pain and I don’t know what to do.

                After I returned and borrowed some books I decided to go the long way instead of going back the same way I did. I think I had too much of the stone path for a while. My head still spinning but I know there’s one thing I’m certain for sure.

                He’s suffering, and I don’t know what to do to help him. Is there even something I can do?

                 

               

End of POV

                “Hey, Jong… Lee Sungjong… Sungjong-ah” A slight tapped woke up the owner of the name.

                “Myung… Myungsoo! What are you doing here?” Sungjong was startled to see his roommate appear beside him on the bench. Again, he had been deep in thoughts that he did not Myungsoo calling out to him

                “Sorry I wasn’t able to reply you. I kinda lost my phone”

                “Ah… Uhmm… Yeah don’t sweat about it.” Sungjong could not even look straight to his friend’s eyes.

                Myungsoo slumped himself beside his roommate and look at the azure sky. “I always see you with that “lost in thought” kind of look. Sometimes I wonder what you are thinking.”

                “Ha-ha-ha, I’m just thinking some casual things… yeah just casual things… you know… like it’s better to have bacon than pancakes for breakfast” Sungjong nervously laughed. Augh. I’m thinking about helping you. But really if I say that…

                “Ha-ha-ha ^O^! It must be pretty nice to have a world of your own. I wish I could do that too, I’m freaking tired of dealing with stupid life.” Myungsoo glumly smirked.

                The younger boy suddenly felt nervous. If he comes clean about what he saw, Myungsoo will probably get mad for him to eavesdrop in someone else’s conversation. But if Sungjong continues to lie, he know his conscience will only eat him up as the days goes by.

                “Uhmm, You know I have… uhmm… in the…” Shoot! Sungjong came out with jumbled words. He never thought telling the truth would be this hard.

                “Hey, Sungjong. Can I ask you a favour?” Myungsoo said with sad distant look in his eyes.

                Huh? Is he going to ask me to drink with him? I don’t drink but if will help, for the sake of friendship. Go for it Sungjong! Maybe he’ll tell me then I can finally get this whole thing off my chest! But drinking’s not really good”

                “Sure, if you promise to stop getting wasted, whatever it is I’ll definitely make it come true just go and spill!” Sungjong exclaimed in a cheery voice. Well doing a good deed never hurts anybody right, besides he’s a good friend!?

                “Date me”

                Sungjong blinked twice trying to comprehend the strangely unfamiliar words,

                “Eugh? Come again?” he asked, dumbfounded. Did he heard him right?

                “Please, Date me” this time Myungsoo turn to look at his roommate/friend with a hopeless look in his eyes. “Please”

                Doing a good deed for a friend never hurts anybody right?

                … Right?

I should’ve just offered to be his drinking buddy back then..

 

..........................................................IDeviant...........................................

Oh my What will you do Sungjong?????!!!!