Parents

Why Does The Sun Shine?

I woke up, did my personal hygiene and went to have coffee with my parents. It had been a long time since we had sat down to eat together for breakfast. I don’t blame them tho, they both work hard to pay all the bills my illness brought to them. Even though they weren’t very present, my sister was always there to supply this role of my parents.

 

"Yongsun, have you talked to your sister yet? She sent me a message telling me you had not answered her message last night." said her mother as she poured her breakfast.

 

"Ah! I fell asleep and didn’t see, omma. I'll answer as soon as I finish the coffee."

 

"Yongsun..." spoke the father, putting his cup of coffee on the table. "I know you must be sad about your sister. But it will be temporary. She will soon be back and you’ll be together again... it will not be the same, but even though I and your mother are away working, you can always count on us."

 

Before Yongsun could respond, her mother said: "YongHee told us that you made some friends and that you have a... how do you even say the word? Kurush? Crushy...?" The mother said putting her left hand over her head and leaning slightly to the right side trying to remember the word.

 

"GAH!" Yongsun spat the spoonful of rice she'd put in .

 

Her mother then continued: "What is it, my daughter? Did I say the word wrong? Argh, I can’t say these foreign words properly."

 

"Omma... do you know what that word means?" The brunette asked looking away from her mother, embarrassed.

 

"Of course I know! Your sister explained to me. Isn’t it a connotative term of how young people today say when they have a 'passion' for someone else?"

 

"Y-Yes... b-but did she explain to you for who I have this crush?"

 

"Yes. Isn’t for that girl who has such an unusual and handsome name?"

 

While her mother tried to remember the name, Yongsun looked at her father, searching for some reaction, but he just continued to drink his coffee.

 

"AH! Moon! She had a "star" too, hadn’t? Hmmm... Moon Byul Yi? Yes, yes... I guess that was it... isn’t that the name?"

 

"Y-Yes. It's... but, is it okay… even if it's a girl?" This time Yongsun stared her mother.

 

"Yongsun-ah, we more than anyone else know everything that you have already went thru, or actually, what you didn’t because of your illness. When your sister told us, I admit that we both, your father and I were shocked. But I think this is common, since due to our society, we think that couples 'normally' should be composed of a man and a woman. Your sister talked with us a lot about this subject. In the end, we come to the conclusion that love does not choose gender, and if it is a girl that will make you happy, we will support it even if society doesn’t. You being with a man or a woman, it does not change the fact that you are our sweet youngest daughter that we both love."

 

"Omma, Appa ..." Yongsun said looking in their eyes, with her own eyes filled with tears.

 

"But young lady, just like worried parents, before we give our blessings, there's still a long way to go." The mother says in a funny tone and her father noded.

 

Yongsun get herself together and decides to share her concerns: "B-but omma... I don’t even know if she likes me yet."

 

"I'm glad you talked about that, my dear," said her mother. "Before this crushy ends up evolving into something deeper, I want you to talk to this person and find out if her feelings are reciprocal. I don’t want to see you heartbroken in the end." Her mother pauses for a moment, takes a deep breath and continues: "And dear, you are a special person in many ways. You more than anyone knows your conditions due to your illness. So, be honest from the beginning if you decide to take this relationship forward. It wouldn’t be fair to your partner if something happens to you and she's completely unprepared. Just as I don’t want to see you brokenhearted if she does not nurture feelings for you, I also imagine her parents will not want to see her in the pitiful state that she may end up in case something suddenly happens to you... of course I don’t wish something bad to happen to you; after all, the doctors said you might not have much time when you were born and you still is here with us to this day. But we know that this disease is unpredictable... even me and your father that have been preparing ourselves for years if something happens, don’t feel prepared... imagine a person who does not know anything... would be a great shock, and depending on your relationship, could even end in tragedy for her family as well."

 

"Darling, don’t think we want your misery by the way your mother spoke. She is just playing her role as mother and being realistic about the uncertain future. The world is not like a fairy tale where miracles happen just because you wish. In the difficult moments, love is put to test… and it’s then we know how real it is..." Her father then gets up from the chair and goes to Yongsun's side, messing her hair and ending his speech before leaving: "But don’t worry, my dear. This chat is something we can have later. Because based in what you said, you still have to get the girl's heart, don’t you?" He winks at her and leave.

 

"Yongsun-ah, basically what we want to say here is that we will support you the way we can whatever your choice... and about your crushy, how about you start working a way to know if your feelings are reciprocal? From what I've heard from Yonghee, she's younger… shouldn’t you be the one to take the lead?"

 

"OMMA!" Yongsun screamed getting red as a tomato.

 

 

After her parents left for work, Yongsun set the table, washed the dishes, and returned to her room.

 

 

Arriving in her bedroom and sitting on her bed, she picks up her cell phone and unlocks it to see the new messages.

 

From: Unnie

I arrived 😆

Wow, the flight was super tiring 😵

 

Yong?

 

...

 

Have you died while missing me?

😨😨😨😨

 

YAH! You brat! 😤

Respond when you see this message

 

I bet you slept after crying so much for missing me 🙄

 

 

 

To: Unnie

YAH TO YOU TOO 😡

Right ... I will not deny, I fell asleep after all this crying 😨😧😩

Unnie, I hope everything works out! That you make new friends soon and that you ‘catch’ Jihoon oppa soon 😏

I I love you 😘

 

 

After answering Unnie's message, I saw that there was one msg from Wheein and one from Byul. So I decided to open Whee's first.

 

 

 

From: Wheeinie

I'm glad you're okay, unnie 😝

It’s a deal! 😋 If it takes too long, I'll want double that!

 

 

Haah... how easy it is to please her ㅋㅋㅋ ... now let's see Byul’s msg~

 

 

From: Byulie

Good morning, Yong unnie ~ 🌞

Your day will be wonderful after this message

To make it even better,
here is a photo of Monsieur Moonbyul on her way to the university

W6DQVkU.jpg

 

 

 

To: Byulie

Good morning, Byul!

Ahaha, as always convinced, huh? 🙄

Well, how about Monsieur Moonbyul going out with Mademoiselle Yongsun tonight?

S6PTVwA.jpg