Solar

Why Does The Sun Shine?

It's almost 6:00 PM and I'm going to take a shower to go out at night with Unnie and the girls.

 

What girls? Yes, yes, yes. It’s these three that you are thinking. Moonbyul, Wheein and Hwasa.

 

The night we talked for the first time, I confess that I thought I would never see them again, because my Unnie made me super embarrassed in front of them – speaking that I'm introverted, that I have no friends, that I'm a bookworm, that I'm kind of nerdy and things like that.

 

But my Unnie invited them to come the next night, she said we would be in the same place, and to my surprise they showed up. That was five days ago.

 

We went out together the second night they showed up, we went to a café and talked for a while.

 

In the next days we also went to that same cafe to talk more.

 

They got surprised when they found out I was older than them. Ahahaha, Wheein's face was very funny. Just to remember makes me laugh.

 

They spoke their ages and how they met. Wheein and Hwasa were born the same year, but Wheein is only a few months older than Hwasa – YES! Hwasa is the youngest. Can you believe it? – They said they went to the same elementary school and got together since then. They met Moonbyul in high school, Moonbyul is two years older than them, so they only spent a year together at school, but even after Moonbyul graduated and was already attending College, they kept in touch and meet every night after school in that convenience store to eat and talk. As far as I could tell, it was a way for them to maintain their bond even though they had no contact through school anymore.

 

After we talked about our personal tastes, I realized that Moonbyul and I are similar in some ways – especially about food and our musical taste. Wheein and Hwasa seem to almost disagree with everything, but for some reason they are best friends... maybe it's that story that ‘opposites attract each other’?

 

And oh, they made me decided on a stage name for me.

 

It all started when they praised my voice, so they touched on the subject that I should have a stage name. I admit that I was excited about the idea, I had never thought about it. Seeing that I was excited, things happened more or less this way:

 

"Yongsun Unnie, do you have something in mind?" Wheein asked excitedly. "If you don’t, I've already thought of some names!!"

 

I already had something in mind, so I replied:

 

"I actually thought of something."

 

"Really?" Hwasa and Wheein asked at the same time, I was startled by the perfect timing.

 

"I bet that it’s gonna be something lame..." Unnie said rolling her eyes causing Moonbyul to giggle.

 

I ignored my sister's comment and Moonbyul's laughter and spoke:

 

"What about DoRéMi?" I said with an animated expression ... which lasted little when they started to laugh. Wheein was eating a piece of cake and ended up spitting it out so much that he laughed.

 

"AHAHAHAHAHA! I KNEW IT!" My sister said laughing at my face.

 

As I looked to see Moonbyul's expression, I was surprised. She wasn’t laughing like the others, she seemed to be thinking about something... then our gazes met and she slammed her closed right hand over her open left and said:

 

"I know."

 

She waited a few minutes until Wheein, Hwasa and my Unnie stopped laughing, and when they stopped, she opened to speak.

 

"Solar. How does it sound? Instead of using DoRéMi, what about SOL and LA? Adapting to SoLar. Since her name has 'Sun', the name can be referred to as well." Moonbyul finally finished her explanation and left us perplexed at how she thought of something so clever in a short period of time.

 

"Wow, Moonbyul. Unlike Yonggie, you really have a way with words." My Unnie said, but I decided to ignore the part about myself and just nodded in agreement that Moonbyul's was impressive for thinking it so fast.

 

Before I spoke, Hwasa and Wheein started yelling "Wow~" "As expected from Byul Unnie~" clapping and whistling... GOD! Why do they have to be so scandalous? Everyone in the cafe began to look in our direction, I started blushing and shrinking in my chair... they didn’t seem to care and they continued. Even my sister was making me embarrassed.

 

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to find a Moonbyul with a concerned look.

 

"Yongsun, are you ok?"

 

I thought I was going to die at that time of heart attack, for some reason my heart started to throb loudly and I began to feel my arms getting numb.

 

"O-Oh, yeah. It's just that people are looking in our direction. I'm not used to being the center of attention." I said stuttering.

 

She frowned and raised an eyebrow and said:

 

"What? But don’t you sing in public?"

 

Yeah, she have a point… but when I'm singing, it seems like I'm somebody else... the looks don’t bother me. I wasn’t going to tell her this, so I just kept quiet and she seemed to realize that I wasn’t going to answer, so she changed the subject.

 

"By the way, what did you think of the name? Did you liked it?"

 

I lifted my face to look at the expression she had on her face and almost immediately I regretted it, because burst. I still wonder what that feeling was...

 

"Y-Yes. I loved it. You really are clever to think of it in such a short time." I said shyly looking back at her.

 

"Actually, I've thought about it from the moment I got to know your name... I've got 'Moon' in the name, which made me realize that you have 'Sun' in your own... I'm the Moon and you're the Sun. When you're singing the atmosphere becomes so beautiful, lighting everyone around you, like you’re emanating sunlight."

 

She smiled broadly, leaving her nasal muscles visible and when I felt I was about to melt, she winked at me... it would have been a fatal blow if she hadn’t failed miserably. She blinked both eyes and ended up getting such a funny expression that from ‘melting’ my feelings were replaced by a desire to laugh immensely. I managed to restrain my laughter, but after Wheein started laughing outrageously again that I couldn’t longer hold my laughter.

 

"Byul Unnie, you shouldn’t have winked. We know you can only wink right out of ten attempts, and that was certainly not one that you made right. AHAHAHAHAHA!" Wheein said laughing even more.

 

"Calm down, Whee. At least she tried to seduce her crush." Hwasa said then, containing her laughter.

 

"Hey, I'm seductive anyway!" Moonbyul exclaimed trying to make a serious face, but then smiled. She has some sweet and cheesy comments... but I really like that side of her. It's warmer to have such an affectionate person around.

 

"You guys are really waaaay more fun than I thought." My sister said with tears in her eyes of laughing so hard. And I, well... immediately blushed when I heard the word 'crush' and looked down to try to dodge any more attention on me.

 

 

Well, as you can see, we're getting along.

 

Wheein texted me last night telling us to have some kind of farewell party for Yonghee Unnie. Yes, yes, we have exchanged numbers. But so far I've only got her number – and in fact, she's asked for my number.

 

Today we will say farewell to Unnie in the Café that we have been hanging out these last days. It was recently opened from what we heard, the name of the Café is IDOT. I laughed too hard when I saw the name, looking through the sign quickly, I read "Café IDIOT" – and idiot as idiot in English. Yes, that sounds retarded, but I was not the only one. Wheein and Moonbyul laughed with me when they realized the nonsense I had thought. My sister and Hwasa shook their heads in denial and did facepalm.

 

Well, let me take my shower and clean it up.

 

 

After half an hour, Yongsun left the bath and was back to her room. She put music to play on her cellphone while she looked in her wardrobe for clothes to wear. The brunette separated some clothes and threw them on the bed.

 

She started picking up some pieces and trying to match them – she was just wrapped in a towel and put her clothes on in front of her body, looking at herself in the two-meter mirror in her bedroom.

 

Suddenly she starts to play one of her favorite songs: Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars, and she starts dancing in front of the mirror. With her dance moves, the towel falls and she continues to dance in front of the mirror, enjoying every beat of the song.

 

 

Bzzzzzt.

 

The music is interrupted by the vibration of her cellphone.

 

She grabs the towel on the floor and wraps it around her body again and walks toward the cellphone. Upon picking it up, she sees that she received a message from Wheein.

 

 

[ From: Wheein

Subject: PAAARTY BABY

 

Solar Unnie, are u ready?

I'm a little late ㅠㅠ but I'm already leaving home with Hwasa.

We’ll meet Hamster Unnie on the way 🐹

See u soon! ]

 

 

[ To: Jung WheeIn

Subject: Re: PAAARTY BABY

 

Almost~

And no probㅋㅋㅋ

See u soon! ]

 

 

Yongsun combed her hair and decided to wear a plain purple social shirt – folding the sleeve up to her elbow, a dark blue skinny ripped jeans – to make lower the formal look, and her white adidas sneakers.

 

Then she walked to her older sister's bedroom, knocked on the door and stepped inside.

 

"Unnie, Wheein said they're heading out right now. Are you finishing?"

 

"I'm almost done, Yonggie."

 

Her sister was almost ready to go, so she decided to sit on her bed and wait.