Farewell

Why Does The Sun Shine?

     I woke up at 10:40AM the next day with a headache. That must be what they call a hangover. My God! Why do people drink knowing they're going to get this way the next day? And... I don’t remember everything that happened after taking that shot. I was sleepy... then I remember hearing Wheein screaming and Hwasa trying to calm her down... then... later... Moonbyul carried me on her back home and... argh– my head was spinning and I was feeling sick. Then I tried to remember everything that happ– HOLY SH–! It's 10:43AM already... Unnie is leaving this afternoon, I have to get up and– *bleergh* before I finished my thought, my sudden movement resulted in a floor full of vomit.

 

 

     After a long shower and clean that dirt on the floor (Reminder: Do not eat much before drinking next time!), I finally went down and there was my Unnie, almost ready to leave.

     Suddenly I felt my heart tight. I knew she was going to chase her dream, but just thinking about not having her by my side every day... already makes me think of asking her not to go. But I know that it would be very selfish of me and I've already deprived her of a lot of things all these years.

     She was talking to our parents, but as soon as we made eye contact, she turned to me and came toward me, opening her arms and I didn’t think twice before returning her gesture and hug her.

     "Yonggie, my little sis... I'm going to miss you a lot." That's what my sister said, squeezing me harder and harder. Not wanting to answer with words, ‘cause surely I will end up crying, I just return the gesture and hugged her strongly too.

     "It's going to be all right, little sis. Even if I'm not here in person, you can call me whenever you want and now you have the girls too. You won’t be alone for sure." She said pulling away her face a little and then giving me a pinch tenderly on my cheek, making me looking into her face.

     "You shouldn’t always stay indoors, go out with the girls. I've talked to our parents about them, so you’ll not have a problem with them about it. In fact, I even talked to them to invite the girls to a dinner here..." She said with a malicious grin, and I knew there was some nasty comment coming "...so you can finally introduce your crush to our parents." She started to laugh like a gazelle and I stood still as I punched her on the shoulder. She completely broke the farewell mood with that. So I decided to get into her game and said: "Well, maybe I should make a space and talk about Wheein joining the family soon as well~ after all, when you marry JiHoon, Wheein will join the family, right?" She then stood still for a few seconds trying think of an answer, but ended up just chasing after me (of course, the poor me was running away with my un athletic body) and shouting "AISH! YOU RASCAL! COME HERE!! YOUR PRETTY UNNIE WILL TEACH YOU TO RESPECT THE ELDERS!!"

 

 

 

     After our little chase and run game in the house, our parents told us that it was almost time to leave and take Unnie to the airport, so my sister went to take her shower and I went to my room. I lay down on my bed and began to think about what my life would be like in those years when she would be gone, and I must say that it seems like it’ll be the worst years of my life. I know the girls said they’ll go out with me, but what if they don’t like me now that my sister won’t be around anymore? What if they only liked me because of my sister? And what if– * beep * my thoughts were interrupted by a beep of a message that arrived on my cell phone. I stretch my arm to the table bedside and picked up the cell phone, sliding my finger on the screen and typing my password to see a message from Wheein.

 

From: Wheeinie

Hey, Unnie? Are u ok? 🤩

Sorry about yesterday, we ended up drinking 2 much... 😵 but 🤣 🤣 🤣 unnie, you fell with just one shot 🤔 I've never seen anyone so weak for drinks like this 🙄

 

 

To: Wheenie

Hey 😊

Well I didn’t wake up very well but now I'm fine 🙃

It was my first time drinking! 😤 You cannot judge me like this! 😣

 

 

From: Wheeinie

So you had your first hangover? 😉

But seriously now, Unnie... did Yonghee unnie left yet?

 

 

To: Wheenie

Soooo funny 🙄 🙄

And about Unnie, not yet... but she's getting ready to go 😟😢

 

                                                                                                              

From: Wheeinie

Ah ... I see 🤔

Well, don’t be too sad Yongsunnie 😕 we'll be here for you and...and who knows when she gets back we won’t become relatives 😉 after all, she have a chance of tying the knot with JiHoon Oppa 😂😂

 

     Before I could respond, another message arrived.

 

 

From: Wheeinie

DON'T BE SAD, UNNIE ~ 😜 LET'S SAY THAT NOW THAT UR SISTER IS NOT AROUND, WE CAN DO THINGS IN OUR WAY AND PARTY ALL THE TIME KEKEKEKUKE 😈😈😈😈😉

 

     Hm? What happened to Wheein?

 

To: Wheeinie

🤷  Err… hello?

 

     A few minutes passed and she still didn’t answer... did something happen?

 

     When I was about to type another message, a message came from her.

 

 

From: Wheeinie

Argh, sorry Unnie 😫 Hwasa took the cell phone from my hand, typed that message and then did not want to give it back 😡 I had to

 

 

To: Wheeinie

Aaaah 😲 and wow, you bit? Whee 🐶? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

 

 

 

From: Wheeinie

Ouch, don’t do that as well Yongsun Unnie 😓 don’t call me a dog 😠

 

 

     Before I could reply the message, I heard someone knock on my door. "You can come in." I said as I sat on the bed right away.

 

     The door opened revealing my sister who walked over to my bed, sitting beside me.

 

 

     "Yonggie, I'm going now." She said approaching me to give me a hug.

     

"Unnie... I–" Before I could complete my sentence, it seems like a knot formed in my throat and I couldn’t speak anymore and tears began to flow through my eyes, so I just hugged her tightly.

 

 

     After a few minutes embraced while the two of us were sobbing as we cried, my sister pulled away enough to look me in the eyes and brought her hands up to my face to wipe away my tears and then wiped her own. "Y-Yonggie..." She said stammering because of all the crying. "This is temporary. Let's face it as a new beginning for you too." She then leaned her forehead over mine and closed her eyes.

     "There will not be a day that I’ll not think about you." She then pulled away just enough to look me in the eyes with a half-smile and continued her speech. "So don’t cry for this brief separation we will have, remember our good times when you feel lonely. By the way, goodbye is not painful unless it's an eternal goodbye, and in our case, I'm sure we'll see each other again. I even feel lucky to have someone I love so much that it hurts to think about how long we'll be apart." She then grinned and said: "The feeling of missing someone gets easier every day because even though it’s one day further from the last time you saw each other, it’s one day closer to the next time we’ll meet again."

 

 

     After a few more words of wisdom, hugs and cries... my unnie left.