04 - Like Old Times

With Time

Hello everyone!

Hakyeon and Taekwoon are seeing each other after a long time! Did things change between them or not? (I’m trying to build some suspense there... Is it working?)

You’ve been 77 to subscribe to this story and the comments are so nice!

I’m really thankful to all of you!

I hope you’ll enjoy this new chapter! And see you next week for another update! <3

***

         He’s there to welcome Taekwoon at the airport, holding a cringe worthy cardboard spelling “Taekwoonie” between big hearts. Taekwoon’s flustered face is hilarious and Hakyeon makes a point to hug him tight, just to be sure that the other won’t overcome his embarrassment too soon. It’s his little revenge for all the unwanted feelings Taekwoon always manages to stir from him, without even knowing. At least, he can allow himself to make fun of the other to compensate. And through all the grunting and pushing, it’s easy to see how genuinely happy Taekwoon is to see him after all this time. They’ve never been apart for so long before.

         Soon, they arrive at Hakyeon’s studio apartment, courtesy of his company. He never thought it was too small before, with all the well-conceived interior design, but it suddenly doesn’t feel the same with the addition of another person. Obviously, it isn’t intended to accommodate two grown-up men with a more than average height and rather long limbs. They don’t stop bumping into each other while settling Taekwoon’s luggage and every time it ends up with friendly bickering, poking and tickling. They feel like they’re twenty all over again.

         The same goes on while cooking and eating. The kitchen is certainly the smallest room and they are awfully close during the meal, which allows Taekwoon to pick at Hakyeon’s plate every time the latter is distracted with his phone (work’s mails he can’t ignore) or rummaging inside the fridge or the cupboards in the search for something to add to the table. It’s not like Hakyeon isn’t aware of it. Taekwoon has always been kind of a food thief, but he doesn’t mind when there is plenty of dishes like tonight. Besides, Taekwoon always makes sure to leave the best parts for him.

         Soon enough they’ve finished their meal and it’s time to arrange the couch in the living room, so that Taekwoon can sleep on it. However, it soon appears that it will not work. The couch will be perfect for a Lilliputian but Taekwoon is certainly not one… Hakyeon stares quite bewildered at the treacherous piece of furniture. He didn’t think he had to verify if Taekwoon could fit in it. It looked like a perfectly normal fold-out couch from the outside, but obviously it wasn’t. Taekwoon is laughing at him now.

         “That’s okay, you don’t have to be so embarrassed. We’ll sleep together, like old times. It’s suppose to be the theme of my stay here after all. Remember that horrible hotel room in San Francisco? It can’t be worse, seriously”.

         Hakyeon remembers. The long day spent going around the city. The sun, the picturesque streets. And their difficult search of a place to stay for the night. In the end, they had to take the last room of a creepy motel and accept to share the not very large bed inside. After a lot of playful complaints, and a lot of tossing and turning, Taekwoon managed to fall asleep quite fast. But Hakyeon couldn’t. They were so close. As if under a spell, he kept staring at Taekwoon’s face. All night. Until he couldn’t keep his eyes opened. Wondering if he should confess. Deciding against it. Because he feared they wouldn’t be the same if he did, that it would ruin their comfortable friendship, that he would never be able to see Taekwoon ever again.

         They are in Hakyeon’s bedroom now. Taekwoon took his shower first and he’s lying already in the double bed, sound asleep. Hakyeon looks at his form under the duvet, the lines of that big body slightly folded over itself, the rhythmical movement of the chest, the relaxed face, eyelids softly closed, lips slightly parted. Taekwoon’s even more handsome than in the past, if that’s possible. Age suits him, defines his features more.

         Slowly, Hakyeon pulls his eyes from the sleeping form and goes to what would be his side of the bed for the next few days. He briefly wonders if it’s Minah’s usual side along her husband, but stops the thought at once. He can’t let his mind wander that path. He’s so tired of feeling down since Taekwoon announced that he would propose. Mourning for so long isn’t Hakyeon’s style. He always manages to see the bright side of life. If there is a permanent trait in everyone’s personality, his is most certainly optimism. Even when he realised in high school that his feelings would never be returned, he didn’t let the fact bother him too long and undermine his ability to stay positive in all situations. It’s been difficult lately, but he doesn’t want the sad feelings to last, doesn’t want to cling to them. He’s not this kind of a sorry person.

         Looking at the ceiling, he struggles to keep the tears inside. Tomorrow, starting tomorrow, he will try harder to summon back his happy former self and forget the sorrow.