02 - A Perfect Wedding

With Time

Hello! As promised, here is the new chapter! But first, let me thank you for subscribing and commenting! I’m so happy whenever I see the notifications!

I hope you’ll enjoy this update. <3

***

         Hakyeon didn’t think he would manage so well during the wedding. Thankfully, Hongbin has accepted to come as his plus one. “Of course I’ll come hyung. I won’t let you face this ordeal alone. What kind of a friend do you think I am?” Hongbin is a sweetheart.

         They met at a night club a few years ago. After some hot dancing and teasing, they started to make out heavily in the back alley (those dimples were too hard to resist). That was until Hakyeon’s stomach betrayed him and he vomited his guts against the wall. Hongbin stayed to gently pat his back during the process. He also helped Hakyeon get back home, washed the trace of vomit off his face, stripped him from his soiled clothes and assisted him into fluffy pyjamas, before tucking him in bed like a baby.

         Hongbin was still there the following morning, cooking pancakes for breakfast, handing a glass of water and hangover medicines to Hakyeon before cracking a joke about Hakyeon’s peculiar way of flirting. They chatted comfortably through the morning and then, to thank Hongbin for his help, Hakyeon invited him to go eat lunch at the family restaurant near his apartment. Hours later, Hongbin knew all the important things worth knowing about Hakyeon and vice versa. That’s how they became friends.

         Taekwoon was surprised to hear he would be Hakyeon’s plus one.

         “Are the two of you dating?”

         “No, we’re not. But are you expecting me to come alone when everybody will be accompanied? How cruel can you be?” he whined, and realised that uttering the words aloud, even in a joking way, was weirdly comforting.

         This is how, with Hongbin’s moral support, he goes through the day quite smoothly. His voice doesn’t tremble that much during his speech, neither during the congratulatory song. And after all, he thinks, he’s allowed some emotion at his best friend’s wedding! Everything is so perfect he wishes he could ruin it. But since love is cruel, he wouldn’t stand Taekwoon’s disappointment, and as much as it hurts to be by his side right now, it would hurt even more to not be able to. So he keeps everything inside like he always had.

         And it is beautiful. Taekwoon is so happy. It’s his dream come true. They look perfect together, the perfect advertisement to happily ever after. Perfect suit, perfect princess dress, perfect ring. At least, he didn’t have to help choosing this one. The engaged couple managed it well together.

         Again, he smiles so much that his jaw hurts. It is such a weird feeling for him to have a fake smile plastered on his face. Thankfully and hopefully, all will be better soon. After having crushed him in pain, fate took pity on him. It happens that his company wants to expand in Japan. As he is fluent in Japanese since his one year studying there, and so competent in what he does, he has been offered the opportunity to start the new branch in Tokyo. In a year or two, he will come back to Seoul with more experience and the perspective to take greater responsibilities. It isn’t like his personal life ever hindered his career. He is ambitious. And now his work will even help him to mend his broken heart. Such a win-win situation…

         Taekwoon didn’t take the news very well. His pride was a bit wounded when he heard that Hakyeon had already taken his decision without even consulting him. He was even more surprised to hear that Hakyeon had scheduled his departure to the day right after the wedding. He didn’t expect it would happen so fast. Then he was insisting on taking Hakyeon to the airport, but the latter told him how silly it would be for him to be with his friend instead of his wife the first day of his married life. It isn’t like Minah would mind. Given Taekwoon’s demanding work, they didn’t plan to go on a honeymoon any time soon, and she understands the strong bond uniting the two men. But Hakyeon wouldn’t give in and after some pouting, Taekwoon had agreed and it was decided that Hongbin would be the one to send him off.

         Hakyeon is eager to have this new start. One year will be plenty of time to overcome his long overdue crush. If he is honest with himself, he never really tried to get over his infatuation with Taekwoon. So now he will try. He has to try. And he has to succeed, so he can come back with appeased feelings. He wishes for peace at last, and thinks he also deserves his happily ever after.