London (part 2)

The Mystery Of The Missing Campers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rupert's House

Time: 3:40 PM

 

(Liza's POV)

We've reached a simple and small English house. It feels kinda cozy. Rupert unlocks the door with his key and we both enter the house. Hanging above the ceiling was a small candelier. Looks very expensive though. There were lots of photos of Rupert and Harry together, including his parents. A lady in a pink apron came out from the kitchen. She looks nice. 

 

????: Hello, Rupert. 

Rupert: Hi, mother. This is Liza, Harry's friend from Camp Sunshine. She's here to pick up his stuff for camp. 

Liza: Nice to meet you. You must Mrs Kingsley, am I right?

Mrs Kingsley: Yes. It's nice to meet you too. You're not from around here, are you?

Liza: Ah, no. I'm from America.

Mrs Kingsley: Oh, an American! How lovely. Just in time for tea. Do you have anywhere to stay at the moment? 

Liza: No. But later, I'll go find a motel.

Mrs Kingsley: I have an idea! Why don't you stay in our house while you're here? I'll be happy to have you as my house guest. I'm preparing the afternoon tea now. Rupert, show our guest to the spare room.

Liza: I'd love to, but I'm kind of in a hurry.

Mrs Kingsley: I know. But you look tired after your journey. Please stay. I insist. Tomorrow morning, you can leave. 

 

(Liza's POV)

Mrs Kingsley looks nice enough to let me stay in her home. How could I say no? I agree to stay for one night. Rupert showed me to an empty room. After putting down my luggage, I head downstairs to the dining room, where Mrs Kingsley was setting the table for teatime. I heard afternoon tea is an English tradition here in London. On the tray were various biscuits, mini sandwiches and chocolate brownies. Mrs Kingsley was pouring tea into my cup. She asked me if I want one lump or two. I didn't know what are lumps until I realized they were sugar but in a bigger cube. I said two and she put in two lumps.

Rupert came and join us, all cleaned up and fresh. He was holding some mail in his hand. I heard Mrs Kingsley asking him to put the mail on the desk in the living room and he did. During tea time, we chat, getting to know one another.

 

Mrs Kingsley: So, how was Harry doing in camp?

Liza: He's fine, ma'am. But lately, he's been a bit grouchy. I guess he's homesick. That's why I came here to find his favorite toy, hopefully to cheer him up.

Mrs Kingsley: I see. Poor Harry. He misses home. I didn't receive any postcards from him since he left for that camp.

Liza: Does your son like making penpals?

Mrs Kingsley: Oh yes. When he heard about this camp, he begged us to go, even though it's not even summer yet in London. We agree to let him go but on one condition, he must finished all his homework first. And he did. 

Liza: I see.

Mrs Kingsley: Well, it was nice chatting with you. Take all the time you need to enjoy the rest of the tea. I have to do the house chores now. Tonight, I'm making traditional English dish: roast beef with Yorkshire pudding. 

Rupert: I have to go and do my homework too. You can explore the rest of our house. If you need anything, just call me or mother. Bye.

 

(Liza's POV)

Now, I'm alone in the dining room. The tea and biscuits were lovely. When I get home, I can ask Nancy to prepare teatime for me and my family. I was drinking the rest of the tea when my compact rang. I answered it to see who is calling me.

 

{conversatio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter