Chapter 2

Blue

It was before sunset when Chorong arrived on her apartment, with a smile plastered on her face. She quickly went to the kitchen, looking for the medicine kit. She looked around and saw a blue box placed above the refrigerator. 

She quickly took the medicines and went back to her room. She stared on the white ceiling, thinking of forgetting everything she did today and anxious for what will happen tomorrow.

Chorong stood up, and started writing.

August 13, 2017
I woke up feeling weird today, and then I saw a blue note pasted on the top of my bed. The important information I need to know was written on this notebook. And I think I was smart to think of something like this before I forget all of my memories. Haha! 

Today, I met someone named Bomi. She is very beautiful. She tells lame jokes but I am somehow very comfortable hanging out with her. Maybe, we are super close friends before?

We decided to go to Hongdae and eat dakbal, and that was the best!

She continued thinking of what else she should write, when her phone started ringing.

Eunji calling…

She was shocked, but decided to answer the call quickly, “Hello?”

“Unnie, where are you?” Eunji asked in her Busan accent, making Chorong smile.

“On my apartment. Why?”

“We are just thinking if you can join us…” Eunji paused, “It’s Bomi’s birthday today, unnie.”

She was unconscious about the event, regretting not even greeting Bomi when she was with her almost the whole day.

“Really? I didn’t know that…” She sighed, but continued speaking, “Alright, where will I go?”

“She wasn’t in her apartment, maybe in Han River? We’ll just see you there, unnie!”

“Okay, see you.” She hung up the phone, and then threw it on the side of the bed.

She stared on the ceiling for seconds, but managed to gather herself and stood up to prepare. She didn’t know what to do, so she just went out of her apartment.
Chorong saw a cake shop on the way, and decided to buy one for Bomi. She walked around the store, looking for a cake that will fit Bomi’s taste. A plain white cake with medium bright yellow star caught her attention, and asked the staff to prepare it for her.

Chorong arrived on the said place, and she saw the back of a girl she wants to see every day. It was Bomi. She was sitting on the grass, thinking deeply while looking at the stars above. Chorong decided not to disturb her, and stare at her instead. There were memories with Bomi from her mind aside from what happened earlier, but can’t remember any of those.

She wanted to remember everything, but she couldn’t do anything for that. She continued looking at her, when she saw Bomi standing up.

“Bom-ah!” She shouted with her dolphin voice, as she walked towards the birthday girl.

“Unnie? Why are you here?” Bomi asked, curiosity pasted on her face.

Chorong raised her hand holding the cake she bought, not saying anything. Bomi grabbed it from the girl’s hand and put it on the grass.

“Happy birthday, Bom-ah.” Chorong said in her sweetest voice.

Bomi didn’t know what to feel, what to say, or even what to do. She stared on Chorong’s eye for a second, and placed her lips on hers. Bomi couldn’t think of anything, she just missed her lips, her touch, she missed Chorong.

Chorong who was still in shock couldn’t move a bit. She couldn’t think straight but she could feel the sadness from the kiss they was sharing. Suddenly, she felt a drop of salty water to their lips, flowing from Bomi’s eyes. She was crying.

Bomi finished the kiss, smiling sadly while wiping her tears.

“Stupid tears, why flow in the middle of the kiss.” She mumbled to herself.

Chorong was still in shock, “What was that for…” 

“Sorry, unnie.” Bomi said, looking down on the grass.

“It’s okay, let’s sit?” Chorong managed to ask, even though her heart beats really fast at the moment. She was nervous.

They both sat on the grass, looking at the river and remaining silent. The girls didn’t know what to say after the kiss, they were both nervous, and they could hear loud heartbeats from their insides.

“Oh, the cake!” Chorong suddenly remembered, opened the cake placed between them.
Bomi couldn’t help but giggle when she saw the star designed on the cake, “This unnie is still the same.” She whispered but Chorong heard her.

“What?” Chorong asked, confused.

“It was still the same birthday cake you bought for my past birthdays, you know?” Bomi smiled, making the awkward atmosphere vanish.

“Really? Wow.. I must really like you..” Chorong was shocked from the words she let out, but Bomi let out a chuckle, making everything back again.

They stared on the dark blue sky sprinkled with little stars. It was beautiful. It was the most beautiful moment for Bomi since Chorong forgets everything. She was hurt but decided to be strong for the only girl she loves.

“Unnie,” Bomi called without looking at her.

“Hmm?” Chorong turned her head to look at Bomi. She just stared, waited for Bomi to speak again.

“You once said to me, to count nine stars for nine nights and your wish will come true.” Bomi raised her hand above, as if she was reaching those stars.

“I did?” Chorong looked above as well.

“Yeah, I just laughed at you back then, but should we try it?”

“I do want, but I might not remember counting for the next days.” Chorong let out a sad laugh, making Bomi look at her.

“I’ll help you, then. If you didn’t know, I was meeting you every day for the past few months.” Bomi smiled, full of assurance.

“Really? How come you don’t get sick of me? Like, I was meeting you every day like a stranger..”

“I don’t know, maybe, I am just used to it. It was hard at first, of course. But don’t worry about me.” Bomi said titling her head making her the cutest thing ever.

Chorong cracked a smile, “Cute.” She looked up, and started counting stars. “One, two, three, four…”

Bomi started counting as well, “Seven, eight, nine…”


xxx


Bomi and Chorong arrived on Chorong’s apartment after deciding to stay there for the whole night. It was already past midnight and they were both tired.

“I’ll wash up first, Bom-ah.” She told Bomi as she entered the bathroom.

“Okay, unnie.” Bomi sat on the girl’s bed, her eyes looked around; found the blue notebook on the top of the table. She started reading some of the pages, realizing it was all about her, what Chorong thinks of her as a stranger every time they meet. She was happy, because everything they do can at least be called a memory.

xxx


Bomi opened her eyes, looking for Chorong. She fixed her hair using her fingers and then went out. She was anxious, on what reaction Chorong will do when she saw a stranger sleeping on her apartment.

“Unnie?” She saw a back of a small girl on the kitchen, “unnie?”

Chorong looked at her, smiling, “Hi, Bom-ah.”

Bomi went crazy for a second, still shocked on how Chorong knew her name- it was morning. She ran back to the room, looking at her phone to check the date, it was August 14- then went back to the kitchen.

She was dumbfounded, “How did you know my name?!”